Iain Goolager

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #690 on: 21/07/2012 at 17:40 »
just fancie a change?

Yup

Loxiafan

« Reply #691 on: 22/07/2012 at 01:09 »
Saturday Night, the purple patch continues !

Nice Trout 1.5 ibs (weighed, looks small !) on DHE and first fish with the Orange Barrio SLX, and DHE size 15 :

Bit later all hell broke loose, polaris missile, tail walking etc as a Sea Trout gobbled my dry:

2 lbs 10 oz and put up one helluva scrap on the 4 wt ! Both fish released unharmed. Rise quietened down by back of 10pm (like last night). Hooks tonight were Tiemco 212Y (with barbs crimped of course). Impressed how it coped with the Silver boy (hooked in the upper mouth, hard pallete too).Some Olive Duns from about 8.30pm reckon the Troots were on the nymphs/emergers.

All this recent success is uncharacteristic for me and I have to say it coincides with buying the Orvis Access #4 Tip Flex last Saturday - no blanks and loadsa good fish ! Do Orvis Rods make you a better fisherman ? I don't know, but they maybe make you luckier ! :z16 I suppose I do put the hours in, 'making your own luck' and all that....

Used the exact leader setup recommended by Mr. Dixon, a lot longer than I would use normally and still need those lessons to achieve better turnover and loose that tailing loop/excessive force/creep on forward stroke ! Barrio SLX was fantastic and clearly didn't spook fish (longer leader helped here too).

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #692 on: 22/07/2012 at 12:40 »
Well Done Lindsay  :z16

Would have loved to have been out yesterday but visitors and a that.

Pleased you like your outfit and it's obviously got you in the confidence zone.  :z16

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #693 on: 22/07/2012 at 15:29 »
It'll all go pear shaped soon enough Iain, but enjoying it while it lasts ! I think Ben gets the Vatican to douse these rods in Holy Water or something ? !  :z4

Lindsay

Alan Gourlay

« Reply #694 on: 23/07/2012 at 21:33 »
I've been trying various ADAA beats, going for the day ticket option. As i'm new to the fishing Rivers and want to try before I commit to a membership. I was out all day yesterday and picked up a couple of small trout (no more than 1lb), not much fish rising etc so was sticking to small wets (size 12 & 14).

At around 4.00pm I hooked a large fish, which immediately ran down stream leaving me watching my line disappear down the river (screaming at my mate, to come see :) ). The fish then took two leaps from the water, the first identifying it as either a large Sea Trout or Salmon. Sadly the second snapped my line, leaving me stunned and a bit sick...

I was fishing a weight 5 line (MB GT90), on a light 9ft rod with 4lb leader. Fish took the dropper which was a size 14 Invicta.

Still a but stunned by the whole experience, can Salmon take small trout flies ??

Alan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #695 on: 23/07/2012 at 22:45 »
I've been trying various ADAA beats, going for the day ticket option. As i'm new to the fishing Rivers and want to try before I commit to a membership. I was out all day yesterday and picked up a couple of small trout (no more than 1lb), not much fish rising etc so was sticking to small wets (size 12 & 14).

At around 4.00pm I hooked a large fish, which immediately ran down stream leaving me watching my line disappear down the river (screaming at my mate, to come see :) ). The fish then took two leaps from the water, the first identifying it as either a large Sea Trout or Salmon. Sadly the second snapped my line, leaving me stunned and a bit sick...

I was fishing a weight 5 line (MB GT90), on a light 9ft rod with 4lb leader. Fish took the dropper which was a size 14 Invicta.

Still a but stunned by the whole experience, can Salmon take small trout flies ??

Alan

Yup they sure can.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #696 on: 24/07/2012 at 11:08 »
Most of my fly caught salmon (4  :z4) have been on trout flies. One on a size 10 red tag, when bugging for grayling on the Tummel. One on a size 14 GRHE on the brux beat of the Don and one on a size 12 March Brown Emerger on beat 2 of Monymusk.

If you look at a lot of flies Salmon anglers use in low water they are trout sized. A Black Pennel is a well know bob fly for salmon.

So remember the scouts motto 'B  :z16e prepared'

Allan Liddle

« Reply #697 on: 24/07/2012 at 17:26 »
My last two (landed one) size 14 Dirty Duster (Deveron 6 1/2 lbs 9 1/2' #5 3lb Maxima).  Previous size 12 tungsten head Hares Ear (same rod and nylon 10lb Tummel).
Before that size 12 Silver Invicta and Loch Ordie (5lb and 6lb Grilse Papil Loch Shetland, Kev Muir wiz there, 4lb Maxima 10 1/2' #6)
And double figure salmon on the Tummel that's probably still heading for Perth. (size 14 Greenwell Spider)

As Peter says, low water salmon flies are often trout flies (often doubles)

Liam Stephen

« Reply #698 on: 24/07/2012 at 18:40 »
Just back from a great session on my local stretch. Around 30 browns to 1lb came to hand all on wets. Lost a bigger brownie of approx 2lb and hooked a big lump in fast water which started head shaking like crazy (any ideas) and spat the hook after a brief fight. Flies used all day were: Black Pennel and Silver Incvitca, both size 14s  :z16

I'll be out again tonight, fingers crossed for a good hatch  :cool:

Cheers
Liam

Andy Finlay

« Reply #699 on: 26/07/2012 at 10:55 »
Having been away for a few weeks not much to report went out Monday night expecting a good night but nothing rising. Back out last night, again surprised to see nothing rising so tried wets for a while. Had a couple of little brownies then had my first sea trout, about 1-1/2 pounds and pretty feisty. Nothing else after that even though a good hatch of sedges coming down about 10pm. Off to inverness this weekend so there will be a couple of detours via a certain loch near Grantown, will report back on that one later.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #700 on: 27/07/2012 at 21:00 »
To go down the river or not...  :roll

Have left it too late?  :z2

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #701 on: 01/08/2012 at 22:11 »
Can't match excellent catches of 30 I am afraid, been a struggle on the dry fly over last week or so, despite a decent effort. Sunsets like this have made the blanks tolerable:

Sunday night at Upper Parkhill saw me stalking a big trout but too far out to cast to effectively  :mad The evening ended with a pleasant as always chat with John Walker and concluded with scenes from Ross Kemp in Afghanistan with .22 rifle rounds appearing to be fired in my direction...or at swans on the river. Either way not great - see ADAA forum for full details. :shock Maybe they'd seen my casting and were trying to put me out of my misery ? !

Monday night on way back from Balbithan I managed a couple of trout, one at 8 oz and this one of a pund on JT Olive dry(size 19):

These fish appeared to be taking Evening Duns' around 9pm ? Noticed one earlier at Balbithan, and a few of the notorious micro caddis.

Cracking night last night but was doing birdie stuff. Any one else getting oot ?

Lindsay

Kev Danby

« Reply #702 on: 02/08/2012 at 08:45 »
Was out above Alford on Saturday chasing Tourists and managed three on a silver stoats and cadbury stoats tail (used the purple foil wrapper) floating line with Int sink tip. Fish were reasonably fresh biggest around 11lb smallest 4lb.

No pictures phone and camera left at home.

Phil

« Reply #703 on: 02/08/2012 at 09:14 »
What a cracking picture of the Don  :z16! Absolutely beautiful! Looks like from a postcard... Haven't been out since a while, last time I drowned my cam in the Don  :oops, have it drying since two weeks, hope it will work again...

Good to know that fish are active and around, can't wait until tomorrow...    :z15:z18

Cheers,
Phil

Loxiafan

« Reply #704 on: 02/08/2012 at 18:54 »
Kevlard, well done on the 'Rushdie's' ! Phil, hope you have a good day, camera used was a wee point n shoot Samsung £50 from Sainsbury's. The sky really looked like that, image not manipulated, only some contrast and sharpening of image was done.

Looking good the night ?

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com