Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #675 on: 17/07/2012 at 14:00 »
Your D.H.Es are they in natural or olives, browns etc to match the hatch?

Like this Dude ( the one used on Sat evening). Sorry 'bout pants pic.

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #676 on: 17/07/2012 at 14:02 »
Nice fly! :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #677 on: 18/07/2012 at 00:07 »
Vague report guys,

Was out today with Tim. Did a shed load of walking. Caught a handful of fish to 1 lb and ended the evening with a plump 2lber.

Zzzzzzz

Cheers
Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #678 on: 18/07/2012 at 01:19 »
After last night's success, a bit more joy tonight. Only two fish but very satisfying as they were 'targeted'.

Pound and Half:

Pounder:

Not so much happening after dark tonight  :z8

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #679 on: 18/07/2012 at 10:50 »
Not saying where, for obvious reasons, but I had 21 Finnock last night between 5:45 and 8pm despite the antics of Iain trying to disturb my pool by hooking fish as well...lol.

I lost one Sea Trout of about 2-2.5 pounds that flat rodded me on the take and then went arial, throwing the barbless fly after a couple of jumps.

They are affa bonny wee fish!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #680 on: 18/07/2012 at 18:51 »
Guys  :z16

Has anyone ever tried fishing blind, prospecting with big dries. I'm talking big Stimulators, Foam Hoppers etc... Would it be best to fish this way in real broken fast water or medium fast riffley stretches?

Cheers
Liam

Peter McCallum

« Reply #681 on: 18/07/2012 at 20:37 »
Took a guy from canada out last year in less than hopeful August condition. He fished a Klink and a hares ear duo and I had a couple of casts with a snowshoe emerger. He caught fish steadily by fishing the fast water....nothing particularly big but consistent. I had a couple of casts and had a couple of fish. So go ahead on the fast water with big flies. If it's good enough for Hans Van Klinken it's good enough for me  :grin

Allan Liddle

« Reply #682 on: 18/07/2012 at 23:49 »
Try fishing the DHE just sub-surface upstream in the fast water, or even sink it by hitting water hard and working it through like a wet.  :wink
Ditto for the Dirty Duster (in fact quite a good spider in it's own right).

I've actually pulled a good bit of the wing off a DHE leaving it with a wee 'stubby wing' and fished it on the tail behind another one on the 'bob' position  kind of Duo style (those that know me know i usually fish a two dry set up even on rivers)
Watch the bob fly (obviously) or more likely watch for the flash off a taking fish on the DHE 'Nymph'.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #683 on: 19/07/2012 at 12:23 »
3ft 2"  :cry

Why oh why?  :z8

Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #684 on: 19/07/2012 at 15:09 »
Took a guy from canada out last year in less than hopeful August condition. He fished a Klink and a hares ear duo and I had a couple of casts with a snowshoe emerger. He caught fish steadily by fishing the fast water....nothing particularly big but consistent. I had a couple of casts and had a couple of fish. So go ahead on the fast water with big flies. If it's good enough for Hans Van Klinken it's good enough for me  :grin

Try fishing the DHE just sub-surface upstream in the fast water, or even sink it by hitting water hard and working it through like a wet.  :wink
Ditto for the Dirty Duster (in fact quite a good spider in it's own right).

I've actually pulled a good bit of the wing off a DHE leaving it with a wee 'stubby wing' and fished it on the tail behind another one on the 'bob' position  kind of Duo style (those that know me know i usually fish a two dry set up even on rivers)
Watch the bob fly (obviously) or more likely watch for the flash off a taking fish on the DHE 'Nymph'.
[/quote

Thanks for that guys  :z16

I'll defiantly be giving it a go once the levels drop some  :cool:

Cheers
Liam

Iain Goolager

« Reply #685 on: 20/07/2012 at 18:06 »
A few small Trout were rising yesterday 5pmish and there were quite a few sedges on the go (I wasn't fishing).

This afternoon at 2 ish I stuck my head over the bank and there was a reasonable flow of Olives and enough trout feeding to instigate setting up the rod.
There were two good trout, 2lb plus showing, one was very tight to my bank. Trying to land a fly 4" from the overgrown bank from downstream in a near as damn it flat calm while unsnagging fly line from the jungle is seriously getting on my thruppennies.  :mad
The other was hugging the opposite bank feeding in the vortex of a whirlpool, for a change.
Waters not that bad mid river, coloured but could see the bottom in a section that is at 18" + deep.

Only managed 3 fish - after switching from various dun patterns to emergers.

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #686 on: 20/07/2012 at 20:12 »
Were you standing on your heid when you were taking the photo Iain  :wink nice net though  :z4

:z18

Jim

Loxiafan

« Reply #687 on: 21/07/2012 at 01:23 »
Nice night to be out, water good and a few rising trout. First fish I saw that was castable I took on the first cast, a spunky pounder-ish:

Checked the DHE after letting it go and noticed in had 'opened' the hook, a Varivas 2200 BL-B ! Never happened to me even with the two and three pounders last week. Wtf a pounder opening a hook ? Changed to another one. The opened one is the one at the bottom:

The hook came out in the net but I reckon it must have been hooked in the hard upper mouth palette hence the gape 'opened' on the hook with side and netting strain ?

Looked around for other risers, either all small in nursery areas or on the far bank and not reachable. Did find one other decent fish on my bank and hooked it second cast but it was off after a few seconds. Oh, well I've had worse nights.

Spent a bit of time with a new member trying to convince him on the merits of catch and release, hope he took on board the pros.

Now need to go and do a batch of DHE's on the 212Y's as I only have a few on these hooks !

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #688 on: 21/07/2012 at 15:22 »
There wasn't much of any note showing last night, not where I was anyroads.

Had my new Greys net with me so I was itching to get it wet.

I eventually opted to sit next to the head of a pool that has thrown up a few nice 1/2 - 1 1/4lb fish recently and wait for a dimple or two. As the light started to wain one such dimple appeared which was created by this very lively trout.............. and the net was christened  :z16

I really like the rubberised small gauge net on the Greys range and although I wouldn't class this as a top of the range net from an engineering standpoint it is better than some which are 150% more expensive. At £29.99 you really can't complain.

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #689 on: 21/07/2012 at 17:33 »
Nice fish lindsay, your on a fair run right now.

Nice troot Iain, notice your using a different set up, any particular reason? Or just fancie a change?

Well done again guys. :z16

Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com