Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #660 on: 15/07/2012 at 15:17 »
Nice fish Lindsay  :z16

Your D.H.Es are they in natural or olives, browns etc to match the hatch?

Cheers
Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #661 on: 15/07/2012 at 15:58 »
Just checking the weather forecast for this week... Is it an up or down stream wind that is supposed to put the Trout off?

Cheers
Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #662 on: 15/07/2012 at 17:59 »
Your D.H.Es are they in natural or olives, browns etc to match the hatch?

Mainly dubbed natural Hare's Fur (from back of animal), sometimes Olive Hare's Mask. Size possibly more important than colour, with 16's and 14's covering upwing and sedges respectively. For Deer Hair I use Chris Helm Whitetail Deer Hair, Veniards Coastal (some patches are too coarse though, so select if you can) and recently got some fantastic Elk Hair from Toby at Funky Flytying which I think will work great on DHE's.

I like them to have guard hairs sticking out from the body, quite messy - ones like this seem to work better !

Thank you Bob Wyatt  :z14

PS checked the DHE I used last night - it was tied on a Varivas 2200BL-B  :oops Apologies for the confusion. Will try a 212Y tonight if water not Hot Chocolate after the torrential rain we have just had !

L

Noel Kelly

« Reply #663 on: 15/07/2012 at 19:15 »

Now i hear about ppl going for a fish night after night so would it be worth my while going back mon and trying for this big boy?

josh

Definetly.  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #664 on: 15/07/2012 at 19:22 »
Well done Lindsay  :z16
You are indeed the best dry fly fisher that I know with a soft name.   :z7

Aye the access is a joy to play fish on.

Was going to swing by and see you yesterday evening but opted to stay
local as I was a big hazey after a middle aged fat boy nap.

Well done to the other dry fly exponents too :z16

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #665 on: 15/07/2012 at 19:30 »
Liam, as far as I know the only reason down stream wind is not liked by the dry fly fisher is ease of casting.

Lindsay, well done sounds like a great evening. Really nice trout as well :z16 I also use a mcleans the telescopic folding one that goes in a scabbard. I hate having nets on my back so am happy with the zorro version. Prob look like a twat but nothing new there and often having Iain with me instantly makes me look better.    :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #666 on: 15/07/2012 at 19:36 »
Defo look like a twonk Trig. No denying.

It looks like you are walking around with a holstered fish slice!

Man you have no idea of fishin fashion.  :X1

Euan Innes

« Reply #667 on: 15/07/2012 at 22:31 »
Man you have no idea of fishin fashion. 

Careful there dude, there are photos from Assynt that haven't seen the light of day yet.... I seem to recall that you were a close second to Lee and the fashion crimestoppers line is on speed dial.... :z7

:z1

Iain Goolager

« Reply #668 on: 15/07/2012 at 22:50 »
Euan,
FYI the commissioner of the fashion police is a very good friend of mine, he often plays nuns and novices with my mum and in return he makes any complaints about me 'disappear' so don't waste your silver.  :X2

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #669 on: 15/07/2012 at 23:41 »
Well done Lindsay  :z16
You are indeed the best dry fly fisher that I know with a soft name.   :z7

Cheers Iain. Yes, I am without doubt the best dry fly fisher on this Forum....... with a girl's name......that is until Mary, Kirsty or Cynthia join !  :z7

It does have it's advantages though - I have managed to sign up for one of April Vokey's all girls Steelhead fishing weekends. It's gonna be an absolute 'beach' sharing a tent with her.....and her 'friends'.......

Lindsay (soft name, hard to please)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #670 on: 16/07/2012 at 12:27 »
Lindsay,
you are in danger of becoming reasonably funny.  :z4

Hopefully see you some evening before the season ends (I've got new shades so your offensive hat is no longer an issue).

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #671 on: 17/07/2012 at 01:42 »
Well Iain it must have been 'ladies night' (Monday 16th) again, either that Orvis Access Rods are fish magnets  :z4

Less frantic than Saturday and even managed to cast a bit better (after practising this afternoon)  :shock

5 fish, 3 at 8 to 10 oz plus this at 1 lb 8 oz:

And this hard fighting fish at 2 lb 6 oz (from the same pool an hour later) :

Missed a few as well all fish caught on Size 16 DHE and returned alive.

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #672 on: 17/07/2012 at 08:47 »
Wow Lindsay 2 excellent fish in one night! Not seen that 2 often this year :z16

Loxiafan

« Reply #673 on: 17/07/2012 at 13:00 »
Noel, these fish from the last few nights are in absolutely superb condition, fighting really hard, going ballistic etc.....but tbh for once I have always felt in control with (drum roll) the Orvis Access #4 TF  :z16 The fish are carrying a bit of extra weight for their length I reckon but this is encouraging - clearly no lack of food, despite really poor insect life above and on the water.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #674 on: 17/07/2012 at 13:03 »
Hopefully see you some evening before the season ends (I've got new shades so your offensive hat is no longer an issue).

Iain,

It's the offensive language and 'crime's against casting' you need to worry about with me !  :z7

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com