Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

josh

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #615 on: 26/06/2012 at 18:10 »
The water height was nnot too bad still needs to drop a bit as i think it just under the meter mark dropped a foor since last night and is dropping fast. but the fish were rising in parts i could see the bottom with my polaroids so it is clearing up well compared to last night it was dark and never even seen a fish but it should be fine where youre heading tonight.

liamY83

« Reply #616 on: 26/06/2012 at 22:11 »
I took a trip to Inverurie to check out the water levels and it still seemed pretty high yesterday, spoke to the guys in sloans who said it would take 4 'non rain' days for it to return to normal so decided on a trip to the Isla tonight as levels seemed more normal. Plenty of fish moving and took a couple before rain stopped play! After getting soaked at haddo on Sunday decided I'm a fair weather fisher, hoping for some clear weather so can get out to either the Don or the Isla at the weekend.

Anyone remember when we last for 4 'non rain' days in a row?

Liam

Peter McCallum

« Reply #617 on: 26/06/2012 at 22:23 »

Anyone remember when we last for 4 'non rain' days in a row?

Think I remember my grandad telling me about them   :z4

Mark Zhang

« Reply #618 on: 27/06/2012 at 08:14 »
Went out last night, but it was raining. No bite, no fish rise, nothing, so I guess I shouldn't fish in the rain. Am I right? Cheers.

Mark

Iain Cameron

« Reply #619 on: 30/06/2012 at 08:52 »
morning folks,

Just went down to the Don at cruives (mile and a half from sea). Yuck. brown, murky, debris.
The online levels had reported steady water, but looks like there was enough rain yesterday to colour it up without raising it too much. Hmmm. didn't put the rod up. back home for more coffee.

dry ish weekend forecast, so hopefully monday onwards will be better

iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #620 on: 30/06/2012 at 16:20 »
Yep, needs another 2 or 3 days with no rain for it to drop (for the broon troot) I'd say. 1.3/1.4 m at Parkhill is ok for me as long as it is clear, but it is dropping verrrry slowly. Coming back from Beauly via Speyside on Sunday past the Don headwaters were fair raging around Corgarff and Strathdon and a weeks worth of intermittent persistent rain on top of that has not helped.

Has been a pretty pants season so far weatherwise.  :z19

L

Michael Buchan

« Reply #621 on: 04/07/2012 at 08:14 »
Had a cast last night with a streamer water looked ok unfortunately the brownies didn't want to play, had one tiddler.  Highlight of the night though was being connected to a salmon about 6lb the cast before i hooked the fish it followed the fly right to the bank and jumped then next cast it nailed it in the middle of the river i was using a yellow butt sump streamer  unfortunately after a jump and a couple head shakes it was off  :cry  Nothing of note rising

Michael

Noel Kelly

« Reply #622 on: 04/07/2012 at 08:33 »
Hard luck Michael  :cry Was also out last night and found a pod of rising fish. Not easily tempted though and after several fly changes got one of 11/4 lbs on an f fly. Leaped all over the pool which put an end to the rising fish. Had an otter swim past me twice, stopping for a good look at me both times.

Loxiafan

« Reply #623 on: 04/07/2012 at 11:29 »
Was also out last night and found a pod of rising fish. Not easily tempted though and after several fly changes got one of 11/4 lbs on an f fly.

Good to hear the trout are "on" Noel.  :z16 Down in Aberdeen last evening the dread Haar was in so that ruled out the beats I would have been targetting, as that stuff is the kiss of death in my experience ? Might have a go tomorrow night though given the fish are catchable on dries. I presume you were "mid river" ?

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #624 on: 04/07/2012 at 12:27 »
I presume you were "mid river"

I think he was fishing from the bank Lindsay  :X2

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #625 on: 04/07/2012 at 12:38 »
I think he was fishing from the bank Lindsay  :X2

Well, you never know Iain - I recall one Forum member accussing another Forum member of "walking on water" quite recently.

Ok, a 'mid beat' on the Don if we is getting all symantic-itical-ish !  :z4

L

Noel Kelly

« Reply #626 on: 04/07/2012 at 14:30 »
Lindsay it was a middle beat and the harrrrrrr was coming and going. I just headed to a pool where I usually see some fish rising and stayed there.  Arrived at 9 and a few were rising had died by 10 and saw hardly any more rises even though I stayed until about 11. Was a lot of fly life, sedges and clouds of spinners. I suspect the spinners would be quiet localised. Water was quiet coloured and lots of annoying weed coming down.

Loxiafan

« Reply #627 on: 04/07/2012 at 15:09 »
Cheers Noel. Quite mild and muggy in Aberdeen today, might be okay tonight. Will definitely be out tomorrow night assuming no more rain before then !  :roll

Lindsay

danbruce

« Reply #628 on: 04/07/2012 at 17:31 »
Managed out on the Don for an hour after work today, about 3:30pm. (really need to find more time to fish)
Water was looking quite clear but still some debris floating down the river, althought nothing major.
Maybe still a little on the high side but that didnt seem to bother the trout as there was a few seen rising.

Lots of fly life visible, sedge and wee olive things. :z4
Decided to fish a size 14 olive DHE that i had tied the day before. Managed to tempt one 10"-12" broonie, first don brownie on the dry. Pretty chuffed as i never fish dries on the river. Can see why some guys only fish dries.

Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #629 on: 04/07/2012 at 18:11 »
Dan The Man, well done ! Told you that fly would do ythe biz  :wink

Strictly speaking a DHE would be an "emerger" according to some folks but good enough for me as a dry !

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com