Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #570 on: 14/06/2012 at 09:28 »
Yesterday night had a cast with young gun (Liam) after arriving and seeing b***er all for the first couple hours it turned in to an amazing night  :z16.

Liam was the first off the block when he klinked and dinked up a run

The man in action

The result a stunning 2.25lber

The Trophy Shot

5mins after this he then hooked into a belter of a fish probably around the 4lb mark which he had on for a good while.  Unfortunatly the fish got well downstream and eventually the hook pooped out.  Was gutted  :cry

After seeing this decided i should have a go it wasnt long until i had my spirts lifted when fishing about 30 feet upstream i got a nice fish around a 1.25lb then just as we were about to move i cast at what i thought was a small fish turned out to be this one.

Just over 4lb and 22inches long

Trophy Shot

The fish took a pecock hearl body size 12 elk hair caddis.

After that fish i was chuft with my night so we went on the hunt for a big fish for Liam we found a monster :shock
Who Liam managed to rise 5 times and never once did he make contact was as exciting as fly fishing gets.

All in all a great night shame about Liam losing his PB but theres always next time and there were plenty big boys going about roll on next time.

Michael

Liam Stephen

« Reply #571 on: 14/06/2012 at 09:47 »
Great report Michael  :z16

And some good pics  :wink

Thanks again for a brilliant night, until next time  :z18

Cheers
Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #572 on: 14/06/2012 at 10:01 »
Wow guys ye certainly got in amongst the big boys last night! Well done to you both :z14 Who needs New Zealand with fish like that on our doorstep :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #573 on: 14/06/2012 at 10:16 »
Liam/ Michael
Geat stuff guys looks like you had abrilliant night  :z16

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #574 on: 14/06/2012 at 12:35 »
Awesome...and a photo that shows the location...hahaaaaa!!.. :z14

On the dry too...what hooks are you using as I have had a few straighten on fish recently :(

Steven Kidd

« Reply #575 on: 14/06/2012 at 12:57 »
Hi all,

Had a great night last night as well, a good few brown trout and also this 2lb sea trout.  i've had a few of these this year!!

Ths one fought better than some of the bigger sea trout, it had my line right out the rod tip past the backing and pulled much stronger than its size suggests!

Cheers,

Skidd

Allan Liddle

« Reply #576 on: 14/06/2012 at 13:56 »
Crackin troots guys, it's all happening over your end.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #577 on: 14/06/2012 at 15:00 »
Awesome...and a photo that shows the location...hahaaaaa!!.. :z14

On the dry too...what hooks are you using as I have had a few straighten on fish recently :(

Ah bugger, we were trying to keep the location under wraps as well :oops

The big one I lost was probs down to a poor hook up on my SR Klink, the fly just popped out  :z8

I think my hook was a Hanak curved and Michaels looked to be just your bog standard dry fly  :z8

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #578 on: 14/06/2012 at 18:21 »
Now that I've got a 3lb+ Brown under my belt as of last night :z14 I've decided to try and target Sea Trout. Can anyone help me with tactics, flies, best times to fish for them?  :z16

Cheers
Liam

Just got a quick look at a pic of this fish and it's a beauty, 3lb+ is about right I agree. Will hopefully find a way of getting it off Liam's camera and up here in next few days. He may have a few more by then the way he is going :z16

Michael Buchan

« Reply #579 on: 14/06/2012 at 18:40 »
Hi Rob

Fly was tied on a kamasan B170 also never had any problems with Tmc100.

Bought a ton of Hanak H130bl but have not tried them on anything to big as would be a bit nervous as really thin wire.  Have had fish to 2lb on them, anybody had any problems with them?

Micha

Mike Barrio

« Reply #580 on: 14/06/2012 at 21:06 »
Great stuff guys :z16

Cheers
Mike

spencie

« Reply #581 on: 14/06/2012 at 21:20 »
I  Had an invite to fish the upper Don today on a beat I've never fished before which I eagerly accepted.  I had had a few days on the lower Don this week and had caught a few trout up to 1 Lbs but had seen no salmon or sea trout about.

A couple of the trout from the lower Don.

I met up with John  and we headed up to our beat.  The conditions were good,  overcast but breezy at times, so we were both looking forward to getting started.  After a quick look at the bottom of the beat we headed up to the top to start. I decided a single handed rod and SLX line was the order of the day due to the river being quite small up there.
We fished through the first pool, I had a brief encounter with a  trout which didn't stick and John saw a salmon jump above him which gave us hope. Further down I connected with a nice trout of 1 Lbs.

First trout

Nothing else was caught except a few 6" trout so we headed down to the middle of the beat and after a quick bite we started again. No sooner  had I started I was into another small trout which was quickly released after a photo.

Second trout

Continuing on down  a few more small trout were caught but nothing big. Both John and myself fished through one pool without success but john had had a trout have a go at his fly so he suggested I have another run through.  Just as I was getting to the spot where he had had the bite my line went tight and I initially thought I was into a good trout. A few seconds later  all hell broke loose and I knew this was no trout. The fish ran up and down the small pool and after what seemed like an age on the SH rod, I managed to beach  a fairly fresh  fish of 11 1/5 Lbs. A quick photo, measurements  and  couple of scales were taken then the fish was released to continue its journey.

My fish

Pool where caught.

John fishing down same pool

We finished down at the bottom of the beat where John caught another small trout then called it a day and headed home happy. I finally broke my duck for this year.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #582 on: 14/06/2012 at 21:50 »
Great stuff Spencie! :z16

The trout in the 4th photo (Second trout) is a wee cracker :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

spencie

« Reply #583 on: 14/06/2012 at 21:54 »
Mike the trout had great markings and were all well fed, a lot of fun too.

Stuart

Noel Kelly

« Reply #584 on: 15/06/2012 at 01:20 »
Just home from river. Beautiful night one of those nights it seemed like it would never get dark. Had half a dosen or so trout up to 3/4lb but didn't see any thing bigger moving. Finished off covering another small rise which was a sea trout of 2.5lbs so well pleased. That's my first fresh sea trout in 5 years fishing the don :grin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com