Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jazzaman1234

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #510 on: 02/06/2012 at 16:43 »
Hi

Good fishing trip today on the don today 3 lovely trout around the pound mark.

On small black fly.

James

Michael Buchan

« Reply #511 on: 03/06/2012 at 00:37 »
cheers guys, Just back in nothing big to report had a good day caching 1/2lbers started of trying french / leader to hand nymphing had a few small fish then had to take it off as good hatch of yellow may's so on went a yellow klink and had a blast. stoped at 930 to try find a good fish there were some big boys on the surface but they were just oncers nothing steady   Full moon and pretty chilly was 5 degrees when i got back to the car might have explained lack of risers

Michael

Ben Dixon

« Reply #512 on: 03/06/2012 at 17:41 »
Yeah temperature was up and down all night last night, went from about 14 at 7ish to about 7 at 9 then rose again before dropping as it turned dark.  Never good.  Late on looking out of the drive there seemed to be a bit of a harr.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #513 on: 04/06/2012 at 16:20 »
I'm scared of the dark and the bats... so I got up at stupid o'clock this morning to fish the Don in the early morning light. 02.22 to be precise. Was on the river by shortly after 3am. Cold, but still. No fish showing that I could see. Ah well, picked up a handful of small things. Had a pleasant breakfast by a weir, and watched a poor wee swan with a dodgy wing.

Hugh Falkus can stick his night-time sea trout fishing... After a kip, a coffee, another coffee... went back out for a few hours this afternoon... loads of small fishes... then one cracking sea trout nailed me. Fought very deep and dogged for a good time. Most nervous that it would come off, especially as there was a wee crowd watching...

About 22"-24", 3.5-4lb i'd guess. Cock fish, quite a pronounced kype. Couple of pics of the fish in the water; missed the nose off of the net picture (ah, perhaps I'm just keeping the fly a secret...). He went and sulked right at my feet for a bit, so I was able to get some pics of him recovering, before camera shyness forced him to flee. 2.30pm... I could have stayed in bed 11 hours more and still caught it!

iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #514 on: 04/06/2012 at 16:57 »
on 2nd thoughts - salmon or sea trout? just assumed it was ST, but not so sure. maxillary might be about level with eye.
ach, who cares, it was an enjoyable catch.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #515 on: 04/06/2012 at 18:38 »
Iain you nutter :z16 I admire your enthusiasm. Well done on the fish. I for one am glad you didn't get it at 3 am because if you did well then I would have to try crazy o clock as well :z4

Jazzaman1234

« Reply #516 on: 04/06/2012 at 18:53 »
on 2nd thoughts - salmon or sea trout? just assumed it was ST, but not so sure. maxillary might be about level with eye.
ach, who cares, it was an enjoyable catch.

Nice fish.Where in the river did you catch it?

James

Iain Goolager

« Reply #517 on: 05/06/2012 at 00:16 »
Well done Ian  :z16

It's a different planet at that time in the morning right enough, but I think my early outings are confined to history. 

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #518 on: 05/06/2012 at 09:23 »
Nice fish.Where in the river did you catch it?

hi James - it was in the lower reaches of the Don, from the Cruives/Netherdon stretches. It seems that sea trout are beginning to show in the rivers right up to Fintry now too.

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #519 on: 05/06/2012 at 12:03 »
 :z14 Just not worthey Iain! Well done..again!...when are you going to leave some for me? :z14

Jazzaman1234

« Reply #520 on: 05/06/2012 at 14:21 »
hi James - it was in the lower reaches of the Don, from the Cruives/Netherdon stretches. It seems that sea trout are beginning to show in the rivers right up to Fintry now too.

cheers
iain

Cheers Iain.

Am up in Inverurie so let some pass for me.lol

:z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #521 on: 06/06/2012 at 09:50 »
Well I was out last night for a bit. As it was raining and windy I set up a 12' 6" 8/9 salmon rod and tied on a size 8 shrimpy thing and set to on the river at Kemney. After a few aborted casts I got into the groove with the new Guideline shooting head, managing to put a few respectible snake rolls together.

I had a few suicidal brownies so decided to go and fetch my 4 weight as the wind by now had died down a little.

Back on the river with my new SLX :) I was able to cover a few fish that normally would have been out of reach with a DT line but with the SLX I manages a half arsed spey cast and hooked a couple, again small.

Not much of a hatch all night, just some very small olive things coming off, hence the size 20 paradun thing I was using tied with a yellow/olive dubbed body and a greenwells hackle and orange post so I could see it.

I did see a couple of large "oncers" come up and with the water being soooo clear, I spotted a few nice fish laying in amoung the weeds, but no matter what I did (klink and dink, GRHE, swung wets etc) they just were not having it.

danbruce

« Reply #522 on: 06/06/2012 at 10:13 »
Cracking fish again Iain

I managed out for a few hours last night, got chatting to forum member Skidd who had a few brownies and a cracking Sea Trout. He was kind enough to give me the fly he landed the sea trout with and to guide me through the pool and into areas that i wouldn't have thought were possible. Top Bloke!! :z16
Stayed out till about 11pm but no joy, Still i learnt loads so can't complain.

Dan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #523 on: 06/06/2012 at 11:45 »
Looks like I may have to try the lower river for one of these mythical sea trout fellas :)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #524 on: 06/06/2012 at 12:10 »
No problemo Dan,

Now you know where they are........don't tell anyone, lol.

Good to meet you.

Cheers,
Skidd

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com