Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #450 on: 17/05/2012 at 12:24 »

I was doing my version Czech Nymphing last night, which is really a cross between French and Czech. I use around 20 feet of 8 pound line, then 6 inches of orange braid, then a leader around twice the depth of the water, with two very heavy czech nymphs. This lets me "long line" czech nymph.

I saw one fish rise the whole evening despite olives coming off.

Sounds kinda like 'Spanish' ?? Interesting there are flies now coming off in the evening. Not long now for Sedge Fest ! What kind of 'bugs' were you using Rob, Scuds, Ryac's or other ? Still to give the method a go despite buying the gear and tying the flies  :oops Allure of the dry is too strong I guess......

Weather "do-able" this weekend maybe ?

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #451 on: 17/05/2012 at 13:50 »
What kind? Not sure..I don't speak Czech ;)

One like this but dressed on the Partridge hook.

I also tried some Ryacs in a nice bright green and the same patten as above but with hares ear and no red.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #452 on: 17/05/2012 at 18:11 »

Sandy, nice pics - that suspected LDO above looks like it may have a large hindwing (or is it a crumpled forewing on the near side ?), but an LDO has small hinds as I am sure you know. Think you might be right with O. Upright or thereabouts ?? A 16 and 18 JT Olive covers 'em all anyway  :wink

Having looked closer at some of my other photos, i reckon you're right, it probably is an upright (the feet are light olive instead of black as well as the hind wings being bigger), however i can tell you most of the uprights would have been about a size 16, but the ones that were like the top photo were at best 12's possibly even 10's :shock
So what i saw was an upright hatch, but with two distinctly different sized flies, some size 12 and the rest 16's anybody any ideas why we would have two very different sized and different coloured flies of the same species, hatching off the same stretch of river. All quite fascinating

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #453 on: 17/05/2012 at 20:36 »
Rob,
well done on your Trout from Castle Forbes, it's also much nicer to see a shot of the angler (hate that word) holding the fish at water level - just seems more personal and asthetic than a fish in the grass, If only I had an angler friend  :cry
Iain, when I saw the picture my first though was of a cock fish tartaning up, I've never seen anything like that in a Don Trout before.

Rob, Trig & Birdfan
What's 'council' about down stream dry? Am i being lambasted? Loosen up, chill, let your hair hang down...............................oops, sorry that's possibly too close to the bone    :z7 :z4

Nice to see fly pictures Sandy  :z16

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #454 on: 17/05/2012 at 21:16 »
Rob, Trig & Birdfan
What's 'council' about down stream dry? Am i being lambasted? Loosen up, chill, let your hair hang down...............................oops, sorry that's possibly too close to the bone    :z7 :z4

Nae me slaggin' ye of min.....though I suppose I did call that Van Klinken bloke a cad on another thread for his downstream Klink...  :roll Seriously, what with recent conditions downstream dry is about the only sensible option the now !

Nope, nothing Chav with a dry down the burn AFAIAC , far more aesthetic, skillful and sporting than trying to 'stun' fish with heavy scuds or howking mackerel feathers past their lugs  :wink I joke of course.

Loxiafan

« Reply #455 on: 17/05/2012 at 21:24 »
however i can tell you most of the uprights would have been about a size 16, but the ones that were like the top photo were at best 12's possibly even 10's :shock

I've seen some really big upwings coming down and not been sure what they were, but were MB sized, but not MB's. Didn't matter as the fish were not targetting them but instead were taking the smaller Olives. The 18 CDC Olive I used was bang on for the size the fish were taking. Had the bloody wind not been so bad I would have cleaned up, but sadly a few good fish were simply "unreachable" due to conditions and the consequent poor presentation. Best left for another day.

As to the two different sizes of the same species, possibly two different age cohorts in species that can emerge as one or two year olds ? Maybe ones that should 'hatch' later are hatching now though this would seem very unlikely as they have to develop instar moults, mature their wing buds etc. If definitely the same species, more likely natural variation ?

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #456 on: 17/05/2012 at 21:26 »
angler (hate that word)

Iain

Funny that, I've never liked the word 'angler' for some reason :roll ...... 'fisher' sounds better to me, but I don't know why :z3

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #457 on: 17/05/2012 at 21:37 »
Just been looking back through previous years don threads. Partially to remind myself that I can catch decent fish occasionally and partly to see how we are faring hatch/date wise.
Well us lot moaning about the weather, cold wind and lack of rising fish is nothing new it seems and the good news is evening sedge action shouldn't be far away.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #458 on: 17/05/2012 at 21:39 »
When do the big evening hatches tend to begin guys?  :z8

Liam

Matt Henderson

« Reply #459 on: 17/05/2012 at 22:31 »
If only I had an angler friend  :cry

Maybe if you answered your PMs you would !

Iain Goolager

« Reply #460 on: 17/05/2012 at 22:50 »
I've seen some really big upwings coming down and not been sure what they were, but were MB sized, but not MB's

Due to the weather along with other factors I haven't really been in the mood for photo'ing flies but I have looked out my bandy net and will take it along on future trips. Only way to be 100% (ish) in knowing what something is is to capture the beast and photograph it - take lots of shots as the duff ones can hold vital clues - the hind wings for example might be out of focus but there might be a clear shot of a femur, etc.

But then you know that  :grin more interested in catching that biggie on an upstream dry - yuk!

Quite often when OU's start to appear in amongst LDO's they can appear substantially larger especially if seen on a flatter water. Often I have noticed this (earlier in the season) and then a MB or two come into focus and you realise just how huge MB's are.

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #461 on: 17/05/2012 at 22:56 »

Maybe if you answered your PMs you would !

Sorry Mattheus but when I see a pm from you it's either money or a cuddle that you are after and as you are still due me 8 pence & not my type I usually delete them.  :z7

Ok so I've been embarrased on the camera front..news flash.... middleman now has my camera and is dropping it off on Saturday so we can now be nerdy photo geeks.

Happy now?

Iain XX

Iain Goolager

« Reply #462 on: 17/05/2012 at 23:04 »
far more aesthetic

Damn, just noticed. Is that a go at me mispeling 'asthetic'?

:roll  Are you smart enough to be that subtle?  :z4 :z4  :X2
 :z7

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #463 on: 17/05/2012 at 23:36 »
When do the big evening hatches tend to begin guys?  :z8

Liam

Usually from about 9 pm onwards :X2

Sorry couldn't resist it :oops

Liam Stephen

« Reply #464 on: 17/05/2012 at 23:54 »
 :z4 :z4

I should have been more specific!  :X1 How soon/what month can we expect the bonanza?  :z12

Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com