Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #435 on: 16/05/2012 at 08:31 »
 :z16 :z16

Question..am I mistaken or was that a "downstream" dry fly approach?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #436 on: 16/05/2012 at 09:01 »
Looks like it Rob. I'm embarrassed for him.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #437 on: 16/05/2012 at 09:23 »
Looks like it Rob. I'm embarrassed for him.

:z4 :z4 Might as well be stripping lures, the heathen!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #438 on: 16/05/2012 at 10:59 »
My mate came through behind me with the flying C and he saw nothing either.

One assumes you were fishing with Hamish?  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #439 on: 16/05/2012 at 15:14 »
Thats Cheeky Matt :z4

It wasn't 'H' i was fishing with.

Anyway.
As promised some flies from yesterday, I've annotated them with what i think they are :z16

Large Dark Olive (although it could have been a large Upright, distinctly bigger than the other uprights i saw though and a different colouration but you never can quite tell :wink) There were a few of these about.

Olive Upright, there were a lot of these about

Small Dark Olive, Loads of these as well

I did catch an Iron Blue as well (not so many of them about and i couldn't catch another :z10), but the wind blew it away before i got the camera out. :z6 but it was of the genus Baetis Muticus going by the eyes.

From what i ascertain there must be lots and lots of various Baetis nymphs darting about, Hmmm..........

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #440 on: 16/05/2012 at 15:16 »
Awesome photos Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #441 on: 16/05/2012 at 22:20 »
Thanks for these great pics, sandy - really captures the differences between the insects.
I usually just say, "oh aye, looks like an Olive-y thing"

Cheers
Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #442 on: 16/05/2012 at 22:24 »
Given the looming doom of another weekend write-off I took opportunity of the window in the weather today to get out today for an hour and a bit before work. Downstream wind made dry fly presentation challenging and also for my newly made up tapered leader (more of that later on another thread).

Decent hatch of various Olives, one fish rised but missed. Changed from size 16 to size 18 JT Olive and third cast things improved right away with a suberbly conditioned 2 pound Brownie. Released alive and well as always.

I have got a nice pic of the fish but can't upload it - the Tinypic logo does not respond when clicked. Anyone else having this problem ?

Sandy, nice pics - that suspected LDO above looks like it may have a large hindwing (or is it a crumpled forewing on the near side ?), but an LDO has small hinds as I am sure you know. Think you might be right with O. Upright or thereabouts ?? A 16 and 18 JT Olive covers 'em all anyway  :wink

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #443 on: 16/05/2012 at 23:02 »

I've just uploaded this Haddo trout photo with tinypic Lindsay ...... works ok for me, anybody else having a problem?

Best wishes
Mike

PS: If you send me the photo via email I'll post it for you if you like.

Loxiafan

« Reply #444 on: 16/05/2012 at 23:11 »
It is now initiating Tinypic Mike but I get "Error 503 Service Unavailable" ? Tinypic is a bit of a nightmare for this as I understand it. Has worked on here for me before though

L

Nice trout Lindsay!
I've hosted the image for you, thanks for the email :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #445 on: 16/05/2012 at 23:42 »
Thanks Mike. I have been having computer nightmares so prob may be my end. Getting new compter 2moro though !

Fish was weighed in my new McLean Folding Telescopic Net, a shade under 2 lbs, solid, superb condition - definitely been feeding on more than Olive Duns !

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #446 on: 17/05/2012 at 06:06 »
Nice trout :z16 I been using the same net for a year now, love it. One suggestion, at some stage grease the sliding areas including the scales. Mine seized up a bit over the winter and wouldn't work when I first needed it to this season. Was easy free up once back home. Did you get the scabbard? I find it excellent, no more nets falling off those damn magnets.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #447 on: 17/05/2012 at 08:11 »
You should be looking at a photo of a Brownie around the 2-2.5 mark just now, and another of about a pound and a half, but you are not, because I lost them :(

I was doing my version Czech Nymphing last night, which is really a cross between French and Czech. I use around 20 feet of 8 pound line, then 6 inches of orange braid, then a leader around twice the depth of the water, with two very heavy czech nymphs. This lets me "long line" czech nymph.

Anyway, second flip upstream I hooked the smaller fish on a size 14 czech nymph, dressed on the Partridge barbless hooks. Just reached around for my net as the fish was wallowing in netting range and "ping"...the hook comes out  :z6 I was not too worried as at least I had proven my "method" was working on a new bit of water. A few casts later and the braid dips down, I strike and the rod hoops over. The fish made a run downstream but, my dam reel jammed!!! The fish was on the surface flapping about in a really srong current, got a real clear look at it as it rolled and leapt for a good 30 seconds as I was desperately trying to run downstream, in deep, fast flowing water, to try and relieve the pressure..and "ping"..the hook came out again!

I then carried on for another 3 hours without a touch despite covering a great deal of water :(

I saw one fish rise the whole evening despite olives coming off.

kinloch

« Reply #448 on: 17/05/2012 at 11:20 »
I just want to say a big thanks to you guys for your candour  on how poor the fishing and the east coast weather has been this year. If it had not been for your forum I would have been in Aberdeenshire this week and I am told it has actually been snowing to quite low levels in donside over the past 24 hours.  :shock   I might have another attempt later  but the forecast for at least until well into June is for north / north east winds to continue and more of the same. The best of the season may now be lost.  :cry  

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/aberdeen

Loxiafan

« Reply #449 on: 17/05/2012 at 12:13 »
Did you get the scabbard? I find it excellent, no more nets falling off those damn magnets.

Hi Noel,

No, mine is a collapse/hinging McLean net (not folding as I said ?). The frame sides do not collapse in on themselves but folds flat against the handle then clips on your D ring. You just take the net off, turn it upside down and it locks.

Was glad of it yesterday, that fish was pretty spunky and the extra reach meant I could get it in easier than the pan handle net. Cost £74.99 but I used my Orvis vouchers and got it for £50. Bargain, really. Telescopic too.

Was beginning to think Fiona had sold me a jinxed net, but that is it christened with a decent fish now !

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com