Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ugie fisher

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #420 on: 13/05/2012 at 18:47 »
Can anyone help me. I am fairly new to brown trout fishing and I have always thought that brown trout fishing was upstream dry fly or wet fly but everyone on here keeps mentioning streamers and wooly buggers. Can any one suggest any patters, colours and sizes. Any a dice would be greatly appriciated.

Tight lines
UF

Loxiafan

« Reply #421 on: 13/05/2012 at 19:33 »
...but everyone on here keeps mentioning streamers and wooly buggers.

Mmmm not everyone UF !  :wink I think there is a decent vid by Ollie Edwards on Streamer fishing, and yes there are a few guys on here that are big fans of the method who will be able to advise. It is not for me though....The Force is still strong !  :roll

The only thing I would add is that of hook size/gape - on ADAA waters you should not be using a hook with a gape of more than 1cm so please check all local and beat rules.

Hope you enjoy your streamer fishing, it certainly seems to work for the big boys if that is your thing !

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #422 on: 14/05/2012 at 22:25 »
Fished Tornasheen and Candacraig/Edinglassie today. Wow..what amazing water! A total of 10.5 miles to explore, just Sean and myself....and it rained, it hailed, is shone and boy did it blow. I had one pull on a swung March Brown and Sean had a few small fish on wets.

We did get a bit of a rise around 3pm, but the fish were small and holding in slack on the other side of a very fast run, into a head wind. So, they went unmolested!

Got the tickets from Skellatar house (i can't help think of a 1980's cartoon!) and was met by a nice couple who went through the beat maps with us, pointed out where to park and wished us well.

Some of the pools were amazing. Absolute classic, linked together with fast runs, stoney riffles, one minute open fields, the next in forest.

If we could have had better weather I am sure we woud ahve caught more.

Edin

Re: River Don 2012 - Fishing this weekend.
« Reply #423 on: 15/05/2012 at 08:11 »
I have a long weekend brownie fishing planned from this Thursday staying in The Grant Arms.... Weather is looking RUBBISH!
Any suggestions as to other options of fishing... I know there is some good Stillwater around... but aside from that can anyone advise on some of the more sheltered beats on the Grant Arms water? or even a crystal ball re the weather?

Thursday looks ok... but Friday and Saturday  :z19 Sunday we planned to have a bit of Rainbow Sport.

Any advise would be great.

kinloch

« Reply #424 on: 15/05/2012 at 08:34 »
Know how you feel Edin. I  come up in mid May every year and love it, but not this year after reading these posts and seeing the forecast. I'm going to stick in the west!   The weather has not been brilliant but a lot better than the east and the spring river fishing the very best in living memory.  :cool:

kinloch

« Reply #425 on: 15/05/2012 at 08:35 »
Anyone heard how the Deveron is fishing? Much the same weather as the don I suppose but it does tend to be less fickle according to articles in trout & salmon. Any of you guys ever fish there?

Edin

« Reply #426 on: 15/05/2012 at 08:47 »
Know how you feel Edin. I  come up in mid May every year and love it, but not this year after reading these posts and seeing the forecast. I'm going to stick in the west!   The weather has not been brilliant but a lot better than the east and the spring river fishing the very best in living memory.  :cool:

So annoying... Where about in the West would you suggest? Assume your river brownie fishing.

kinloch

« Reply #427 on: 15/05/2012 at 09:39 »
Edin,

You'll get the info you need here.

http://www.riverannan.co.uk/upper/
http://www.ucapaltd.co.uk/index_files/Page559.htm

Both these rivers tend to fish more reliably and are less fickle  than the Don but the Clyde does get busy on spring  weekends. If you can get on mid week go for it, that said there is far more day ticket water.  They are the two best trout rivers in Scotland imho (and have big grayling) followed by the Deveron but I have not fished that baby for many years now.   The Tweed  (east flowing) on the other hand has fished almost as badly  as the Don is reported to be here so far this year so i'd give it a miss. Hope that helps!  :wink

Edin

« Reply #428 on: 15/05/2012 at 13:15 »
Fished Tornasheen and Candacraig/Edinglassie today. Wow..what amazing water! A total of 10.5 miles to explore, just Sean and myself....and it rained, it hailed, is shone and boy did it blow. I had one pull on a swung March Brown and Sean had a few small fish on wets.

We did get a bit of a rise around 3pm, but the fish were small and holding in slack on the other side of a very fast run, into a head wind. So, they went unmolested!

Got the tickets from Skellatar house (i can't help think of a 1980's cartoon!) and was met by a nice couple who went through the beat maps with us, pointed out where to park and wished us well.

Some of the pools were amazing. Absolute classic, linked together with fast runs, stoney riffles, one minute open fields, the next in forest.

If we could have had better weather I am sure we woud ahve caught more.

If the wind stays away.. it might not be all that bad this weekend? .... maybe.

kinloch

« Reply #429 on: 15/05/2012 at 16:46 »
Strong winds and very heavy rain are forecast for Thursday & Friday followed by a SE wind and low temps on Saturday.  :cry  Looks like the north east rivers will be in flood at the weekend.  Might be worth a go at the salmon though!  Which beats allow spinning?

Edin

« Reply #430 on: 15/05/2012 at 17:00 »
Just crossing fingers there is a change in the forecast...
Tempted to abandon East and head West - See what the weather is looking like tomorrow.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #431 on: 15/05/2012 at 17:18 »
I've been down at parkhill today , water is perfect, dropping nicely and nice and clear :z18
Didn't see any fish other than a couple of wee brownies :z6 thinking they might have switched to evenings for mealtime.
Worked the water quite thoroughly for the tourists but no sign of anything :z8 Plenty wind but you could get out of its way so it didn't affect things much. My mate came through behind me with the flying C and he saw nothing either. Nice day to be out and about, in between hail storms :z4

However there is loads of flylife about, i saw Iron blues, small dark olives, medium olives and hawthorns all in good numbers.
Plenty sedges of various sizes and species too, one or two L.D.O's still fluttering about as well, took a few photos, will maybe post some later.

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #432 on: 15/05/2012 at 17:41 »
We certainly saw small olives, hawethorns and what I think was March Browns, but small ones..even though it was raining and cold.

Saturday saw a massive hatch at Monymusk, but no rising fish. The flies were being blown into us, making it feel like rain!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #433 on: 15/05/2012 at 21:18 »
 :z8

Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #434 on: 15/05/2012 at 21:50 »
Nice one Iain  :z16

End bit made me chuckle   :z4 :z4

Cheers
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com