Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #375 on: 08/05/2012 at 19:20 »
Hi Spencie,

Was it you that I spoke to under the metal bridge today, shortly after the heavens opened? Beautiful little fella you got there  :z16

My day was disappointing... Until around 13.50 when on the opposite bank I could see a good number of fish rising in a little back edy (or is it eddie, or am I completely wrong? :roll) Anyways I tried to cover the risers from the bank I was on but it was hopeless, instant drag! Hmmm decision time, do I stay on this bank or cross over... I scrambled back towards the bridge, leaped the fences and scurried down the steep bank. As I approached the fish I could see a multitude of fly life: MBs, LDOs, Small Olives, Grannom and occasionally the odd Stonefly. There was a good mix of different size fish in this little stretch, the bigger ones were feeding like crazy grabbing any morsel which floated past, the smaller ones were picking off what they could. I opted for a size 12 JT olive, half a dozen casts later my efforts were rewarded with a plump 1/2lber. The JT olive continued to work taking a few more little guys, however it was a hassle to keep afloat. 'Ah bugger it' off it came and on went a highly ginked size 14 CDC n Elk. I spotted a decent-ish rise to the left of a little riffle and cast towards it, nothing. I cast to the same spot again but this time gave it a little tweak, the fly was nailed!!  :z14 A beautifully marked,  fat fish leaped clear of the water. He made a good account of himself that's for sure. After some more acrobatics I eventually netted him, size wise... 14 inches, 1.25-1.5lbs? Success!! I headed for home with a big grin on my face  :cool:

I will be visiting this spot again that's for sure  :z7

Liam

spencie

« Reply #376 on: 08/05/2012 at 20:00 »
Liam

I don't know if it was me you spoke to, I was at Upper PH. I did speak to a chap at the car park by the bridge who was salmon fishing and someone who was accross the river who caught a couple of trout as well.

Stuart

Liam Stephen

« Reply #377 on: 08/05/2012 at 20:01 »
No it wasn't then  :X1

The pic of your fish looked of similar size to the one of the guy I spoke  :z16

Liam

Iain Cameron

« Reply #378 on: 08/05/2012 at 22:49 »
a good number of fish rising in a little back edy (or is it eddie, or am I completely wrong

Eddy. That's what ya want.

Edy is a Japanese smart card

Eddie is a large comedian with a perm, or a crater in the Elysium quadrangle of Mars at 12.3° north latitude and 217.9° west longitude. It is 89 km in diameter and was named after Lindsay Eddie, a South African astronomer (love Wikipedia)

But spelling aside, nice report and a great fish
Cheers, Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #379 on: 08/05/2012 at 22:51 »
I opted for a size 12 JT olive, half a dozen casts later my efforts were rewarded with a plump 1/2lber. The JT olive continued to work taking a few more little guys, however it was a hassle to keep afloat.

Jeez min Size 12 on a JT Olive is B-I-G !  :shock I use 19's and 17's on 103BL's or 18 and 16 if using Grip 11011BL's  :X2 My size 17 matched the March Browns where I was today. They can get a bit claggy after catching - I use Frog Fanny (Toads Tush is not as good) to brush on the CDC fibres and it works a treat. CDC Oil clogs the CDC fibres and as I understand it the oil should not be used on CDC feathers  ???

Well done on the fish, must get out your way soon, but doesn't look like it will be next Monday now unfortunately.

Lindsay

Iain Cameron

« Reply #380 on: 08/05/2012 at 23:18 »
.... CDC Oil clogs the CDC fibres and as I understand it the oil should not be used on CDC feathers  ???

?? Odd.  I've found CDC oil is great for keeping my CDC flies afloat. Hmmm. I try to use as little as possible, and then fluff up the feathers a bit, makes them a bit straggly looking, but in a good fuzzy way. After taking a fish, i dry the fly off on a scrap of rag, and it's good to go again. I think CDC oil is  great stuff, but I'll look out for the clogging now that you've mentioned it?
Cheers, i

Loxiafan

« Reply #381 on: 08/05/2012 at 23:25 »
Hi Iain,

It was in "Tying Flies The CDC" way. I don't believe everything I read though and did try the oil. I felt it stuck the fbres together but by using kitchen towel I managed to salvage them. The Frogs Fanny dries the fibres and allows them to remain fluffy and work naturally. I know a few of you on here like the Oil so maybe just me ?

L

Liam Stephen

« Reply #382 on: 08/05/2012 at 23:48 »
Jeez min Size 12 on a JT Olive is B-I-G !  :shock I use 19's and 17's on 103BL's or 18 and 16 if using Grip 11011BL's  :X2 My size 17 matched the March Browns where I was today. They can get a bit claggy after catching - I use Frog Fanny (Toads Tush is not as good) to brush on the CDC fibres and it works a treat. CDC Oil clogs the CDC fibres and as I understand it the oil should not be used on CDC feathers  ???

Well done on the fish, must get out your way soon, but doesn't look like it will be next Monday now unfortunately.

Lindsay

My mistake  :oops it looks to be tied on a size 14 SLD, it's not actually a JT olive but it's damned near. The 14 was a perfect match today as far as I was concerned.  Lindsay how do you spot your fly at distance? I was finding it hard picking mine out from the naturals at close range (20ft) today  :X2 A size 17 or 19 you say, now that must be tough going?  :z16

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #383 on: 09/05/2012 at 00:20 »
Lindsay how do you spot your fly at distance? I was finding it hard picking mine out from the naturals at close range (20ft) today  :X2 A size 17 or 19 you say, now that must be tough going?  :z16

Usually I am using them in smooth glides and creases at around 20-25ft so not too difficult. I try to watch where fly lands and follow it down. On a JT the wings are pointing slightly forward as opposed to up or back on the natural Duns and this helps too. Doesn't seem to bother the fish ! It is truly a fantastic fly, very well designed and more importantly easy to tie !  :z16

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #384 on: 09/05/2012 at 18:05 »
Similar day to yesterday today. I got off the mark slightly earlier on the JT Olive 16, half a dozen or so fish to 3/4 lbs from two of my favourite little pools. I then crossed over the river and visited what is now my favourite wee riffley glide and the fish were moving in numbers again. I spotted the big boys (what looked like three fish) picking off upwings at the tail of the riffle. :grin I switched to a CDC n Elk for better visibility and cast it over them. The drift was perfect and the fly was taken by a decent fish of just under 2 lbs. Sadly I lost him as he went airborne and I didn't keep enough tension on the line  :X1. I was a little frustrated but I could still see a couple of others rising, I cast into more of less the same spot a few more times and was in again :z14. This one was smaller but still very welcome after a good tussle I got the net under him. He was around 1.25 lbs a stunningly marked fish! He swam off strongly back to the depths. I also saw a nice Sea Trout jump. That was pretty much it folks  :z16

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #385 on: 09/05/2012 at 21:41 »
Similar day to yesterday today. I got off the mark slightly earlier on the JT Olive 16, half a dozen or so fish to 3/4 lbs from two of my favourite little pools. I then crossed over the river and visited what is now my favourite wee riffley glide and the fish were moving in numbers again. I spotted the big boys (what looked like three fish) picking off upwings at the tail of the riffle. :grin I switched to a CDC n Elk for better visibility and cast it over them. The drift was perfect and the fly was taken by a decent fish of just under 2 lbs. Sadly I lost him as he went airborne and I didn't keep enough tension on the line  :X1. I was a little frustrated but I could still see a couple of others rising, I cast into more of less the same spot a few more times and was in again :z14. This one was smaller but still very welcome after a good tussle I got the net under him. He was around 1.25 lbs a stunningly marked fish! He swam off strongly back to the depths. I also saw a nice Sea Trout jump. That was pretty much it folks  :z16

Liam

Very good to hear there is now some regular sport to be had. You need to start bringing the camera with you Liam :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #386 on: 09/05/2012 at 21:51 »

Agree with that Noel. No pictures = it didn't happen!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #387 on: 09/05/2012 at 21:53 »
Noel  :z16

I have pics. From this season and last but I can't seem to get them uploaded  :z8 I'm gonna pinch my parents camera from now on and hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to show soon  :z16

Any joy tonight?

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #388 on: 09/05/2012 at 21:58 »
No liam nothing.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #389 on: 11/05/2012 at 07:32 »
Anybody seen the river today? Is it running clear?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com