Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #360 on: 07/05/2012 at 21:22 »
Good stuff Lindsay sounds like you had fun. The day turned out not so bad after all weather wise.
Was working today but I've got the bug now so headed out this evening at about 6.30. I seen a good fish rise far bank last week so decided to pay it a visit tonight. It was quiet a walk...about 50 minutes.
There was the very occasional LDO coming down and a trout picking them off. Wasn't the big one I was after but after watching it for half an hour I couldn't resist any longer. Hooked it first throw, leaped and off. About 1.5lbs and that was that. Didn't see another rise.

danbruce

« Reply #361 on: 07/05/2012 at 21:26 »
Sounds like an enjoyable days fishing lindsay, I had a couple of hours at fintray but called it a day when it started getting wet and windy. Didn't see much fish but Still better than being at work.

Dan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #362 on: 07/05/2012 at 22:07 »
Seen a dead sheep tonight, washed up by the high water. That's 3 I have seen in a week :shock

Liam Stephen

« Reply #363 on: 07/05/2012 at 22:15 »
Good observational skills Noel  :z4

Would you say an evenings fishing is worthwhile at this time of year? Unlucky on losing your fish dude  :z16

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #364 on: 07/05/2012 at 22:47 »
Thanks I think?

Well I walked about 2 or 3 miles of river tonight Liam and saw one rising fish and about 5 olives so no probably not! Beats tv though. If we ever get a mild evening without cold wind I would expect a bit more action.

Loxiafan

« Reply #365 on: 07/05/2012 at 23:41 »
It was quiet a walk...about 50 minutes.

Nice cryptic "clue" Noel  :z4 Can only but guess, but reckon I maybe know the beat !  :wink Would be good to see some fish coming in from there...actually anywhere - check the catch returns on Assoc website, there are more Broonies being caught in the Dee just now  :shock. Unlucky on the fish lost too, pretty good on the dry at that time of night the now.

Hamish Young

« Reply #366 on: 08/05/2012 at 07:57 »
Seen a dead sheep tonight, washed up by the high water. That's 3 I have seen in a week :shock

Hmmmmm size 21/0 'extreme' Tupps indispensable a suitable representation maybe :?

I'll get my coat  :z4

H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #367 on: 08/05/2012 at 08:39 »
Fished upper and lower Parkhill last night. Waste of time!! The wind was a horrible upstream affair and very cold. In 4 hours I did not see a single fly or rising fish.

However, I did find a slightly sheltered spot on a dead bit of water and spent half an hour with the Switch and with a 6 weight single hander and one of Mikes SLX's practicing single handed Spey casting. So all was not lost.

Moved onto Parkhill Loch, again more for the casting practice with a GT140 in a 5 weight and a Orvis ZG.  Again no fish moving although one chap appeared to catch on a fast stripped lure. I just had a couple of boxes of spiders and traditional river pattens so was not expecting to catch really.

I then got cold and went home!

This year for me has been total pants! Not sure what I am doing wrong, but this is the first time in years I have made a real effort to game fish, and its the first time in years I have not been catching! Normally I only get out once in a while on the rivers, but I normally do ok. Arrrrrgh!!!

Loxiafan

« Reply #368 on: 08/05/2012 at 10:02 »

This year for me has been total pants! Not sure what I am doing wrong, but this is the first time in years I have made a real effort to game fish, and its the first time in years I have not been catching!

It has been pretty hard going lately Rob, what with conditions etc and I have had quite a few blank sessions myself, not that I deserve or expect to catch fish every time. Maybe all those easy to catch coarse fish have softened you up  :wink I have only been using a JT Olive dry fly, targeting only rising fish and only fishing between 11 and 4pm since the season opened. Hasn't worked every time, but when fish are rising I have been confident and usually had some action or near action. The weather and water conditions I blame for the poor start this year.

It will all come good in the end, next fish may be a 5 pounder !

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #369 on: 08/05/2012 at 14:07 »
Maybe all those easy to catch coarse fish have softened you up  :wink

:X2  :z4 Considering I have been chasing perhaps only a dozen large carp in the entire North of Scotland, and catching 4 of them so far, one at 21 pounds, I think I would say they were a bit harder than those Don stockies you chase ;)

Loxiafan

« Reply #370 on: 08/05/2012 at 14:20 »
.....I think I would say they were a bit harder than those Don stockies you chase ;)

:z4 Nice one ! But what Don Stockies  ???  !! No stocking by ADAA this season. I must admit, I only caught two, maybe 3 marked fish last year the rest I considered wild. I could be wrong but think as qualified fish stockman I would recognize one. I guess it must been be where I fished last season...or didn't  :wink

If you have got the discipline to "hunt" a dozen individual Carp ( do they have individual names ?) then a few blank days doing some real fishing should be E-A-S-Y !  :wink  :z7

Cheers,

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #371 on: 08/05/2012 at 15:08 »

If you have got the discipline to "hunt" a dozen individual Carp ( do they have individual names ?) then a few blank days doing some real fishing should be E-A-S-Y !  :wink  :z7

:z4 :z4 Names?...hmmm...well..yes, but only because I gave them names to describe them to a mate. They have never been caught before :) so not the normal "pet" fish as down south.

Blanks don't bother me, seeing Mr Cameron catch and I am not does..  :z4 :z4 :z4 I swear I saw him walking on water the other day  :z14

Loxiafan

« Reply #372 on: 08/05/2012 at 15:18 »
:z4 :z4 Names?...hmmm...well..yes, but only because I gave them names to describe them to a mate. They have never been caught before :) so not the normal "pet" fish as down south.

Cool, of course they be "stockies" too !  :wink

Couple of hours lower river this morning/afternoon. Had a 3/4 lb BT on the dry. Then it totally peed down and when it stopped there was a really decent March Brown hatch - checked a few and I am pretty sure they were MB's on wing and body markings. Only problem, the water coloured up and the fish didn't rise to them, presumably as they couldn't see them :mad. Such is life. Quite a few Yellow Sallies now too.

Lindsay

spencie

« Reply #373 on: 08/05/2012 at 18:35 »
A few fish rising today. Didn't catch anything big but managed a couple of small trout on the dry fly.

1 of the trout from today, small but perfectly shaped

Stuart

Noel Kelly

« Reply #374 on: 08/05/2012 at 18:51 »
A few fish rising today. Didn't catch anything big but managed a couple of small trout on the dry fly.

1 of the trout from today, small but perfectly shaped

Stuart

So that's what they look like :z4 lovely trout :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com