Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #345 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:38 »
Had a couple of hours free today so had a cast at upper fintray, nice bit of water.

Was yours the black car Dan ? Did I speak to you at the car park ?

Lindsay

danbruce

« Reply #346 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:45 »
Yes my car was the black one but when i parked up there was nobody there. Did have a short chat to a guy heading up river later that after noon (just round the bend from the bridge) not sure if it was you though?

Where you heading out to tomorrow?

Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #347 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:50 »
How is the parking up at the top end of the beat, heard a few guys complaining about access to the water. I dont mind a long walk as long as i can dump the car some where.

When I used to fish Kintore Council Waters I used to just park after the bridge on the verge. I don't know if you can still do that. I think the Golf Club are ok with anglers parking but not on busy days - tomorrow might be a busy day due to the holiday ? ADAA only have a short stretch on the left bank only upstream of the bridge remember so not the area marked as Balbithan on the map - that is up by and past the Golf Course as I recall ?

Still not sure what I am doing yet, might see you there Dan but if its blawing hard again I don't think I can take it - I was talking myself in to how I "needed" a 3 wt Rod last night and after today am thinking of getting a 6 wt !! You did well with a #3 today if you were going upstream !

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #348 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:55 »
Park just over the metal bridge in Kintore and walk down? It's not very far at all  :z16

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #349 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:56 »
Yes my car was the black one but when i parked up there was nobody there. Did have a short chat to a guy heading up river later that after noon (just round the bend from the bridge) not sure if it was you though?

Where you heading out to tomorrow?

Hi Dan, no wasn't me but I spoke to him too, a very nice chap, hope he did better than me.

I was originally thinking of Kintore eg. Liam's Pool vicinity. Actually, I was hoping to bump in to Liam and get a few tips on this Klinky and Dinky mullarkey as he seems to be the only B***er actually connecting with fish just now it seems  :wink It's either that or Kemnay as I can't face another blank/screaming wind at Parkhill and at least the scenery will be different !

Cheers,

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #350 on: 06/05/2012 at 21:06 »
Well Lindsay if we bump into each other I'll show you how it's done  :wink

Hopefully the weathers kind to us tomorrow  :z2

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #351 on: 06/05/2012 at 21:08 »
Yeah Liam seems to be the only person getting fish regularly.
I only got away with the 3wt today as i was fishing spiders downstream and down wind. Did try and cover a couple of fish with the dry fly into the wind but it just wasn't happening.

Fingers crossed the wind drops would be good to bump into you and Liam depending where we all end up.

Cheers,

Dan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #352 on: 06/05/2012 at 21:13 »
Just checked weather site windfinder and tomorrow is looking quiet blowy I'm sorry to say. Finding that sheltered spot is vital in these conditions IMO.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #353 on: 06/05/2012 at 21:14 »
Yup Noel, pretty chilly too  :roll

Loxiafan

« Reply #354 on: 06/05/2012 at 22:03 »
Just checked weather site windfinder and tomorrow is looking quiet blowy I'm sorry to say. Finding that sheltered spot is vital in these conditions IMO.

Yep, and looks like it is Southerly. That rules out North(left) bank at Kintore for me I am afraid, bits of Kemnay may be difficult too.

Loxiafan

« Reply #355 on: 07/05/2012 at 10:43 »
Yep, and looks like it is Southerly. That rules out North(left) bank at Kintore for me I am afraid, bits of Kemnay may be difficult too.

Now Easterly according to BBC ! Rolling the dice and away to make my move, might get a couple of hours before the squalls.....

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #356 on: 07/05/2012 at 16:10 »
I am fishing tonight too..The Switch rod makes windy conditions a bit easier to deal with..so I will be spotted somewhere on the Don "swinging wets" and not catching!

Loxiafan

« Reply #357 on: 07/05/2012 at 20:48 »
Nowt wrong with "swinging" Rob....wet flies that is  :wink Used to be my preferred method before I saw the light, converted and joined the Church of The Dry Fly.

Luckily I ignored Laura Tobin's weather report and hit a Don beat near to town. Glad I did as there were Large Dark Olives streaming down from 12.30 till around 4 pm. Some Yellow Sally's as well. Mainly small fish rising, tried to target at least ones that would bend the rod and had a handful at 1/2 lb all on CDC Olive dry fly. After my blank spells they were welcome and I suppose competition guys are happy with that size (in numbers). They certainly put a bend in a Streamflex ! I did see one decent fish move and hooked him second cast but although I kept him on through two impressive polaris like leaps a moment of slack line as he ran straight at me meant the barbless hook invariably dropped - hooked in upper jaw ? No worries, I have caught this fish before I am sure - same lie, same fly ! He is now well over 2 lb from the looks of his belly. Low point was seeing another angler retain a nice wild fish - all legal as it was under 2 lb but I for one don't like seeing it especially as these beats are no longer stocked. Have got the guy clocked and won't be sharing any info with him now I know he is a "chapper" - I didn't give any info to him today btw.

John Walker emailed tonight to say he had 4 today on a middle beat, biggest 2.5 lbs all on dry fly. They were taking LDO's. That is a good haul considering hown things have been/are.

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #358 on: 07/05/2012 at 20:56 »
Great stuff Lindsay  :z16

Pity about losing the big un but that's fishing  :z7

Kintore was miserable today, sounds like it was better where you were?  :cool:

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #359 on: 07/05/2012 at 21:13 »
Pity about losing the big un but that's fishing  :z7

Kintore was miserable today, sounds like it was better where you were?  :cool:

You're right Liam, and......you gotta be hooking em to lose em, so something is right !

Other parts of the beat I was on were actually quite poor apparently. I just knew that this stretch was holding fish and that some of them, whilst not monster's, would be decent. I also knew there could be a decent hatch of LDO's there too. Nearly paid off !

More rain due though, hope river is ok next weekend.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com