Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #330 on: 04/05/2012 at 17:48 »
The dangers of the Internet! Bet ye don't know where he saw the big trout feeding the other day though? I do and this is Adaa water :z4

No, but if it is the same town he goes to school in I can hazard a guess as to the beat from the ADAA clue !  :wink It's is a curse being this 'observant'............

Got my own big T to get. Couldn't get him last year due to high water and the season timing out. If he doesn't come back to this feeding lie I can bet another big boy will !

L

Jazzaman1234

« Reply #331 on: 04/05/2012 at 18:40 »
Hi

What likes the Inverurie water like?Any good spots?

jazza

Noel Kelly

« Reply #332 on: 04/05/2012 at 19:25 »
No, but if it is the same town he goes to school in I can hazard a guess as to the beat from the ADAA clue !  :wink It's is a curse being this 'observant'............

Got my own big T to get. Couldn't get him last year due to high water and the season timing out. If he doesn't come back to this feeding lie I can bet another big boy will !

L

Lol Lindsay I'm sure you are very observant and a budding detective but on this occasion you may be a bit out. A few miles even.... :z4
As for that big boy, got get em :z16
Wish we were out on the river rather than talking about it!
Ah well nice bottle of red and the BBQ blazing away nicely isn't a bad substitute this evening I guess. It's Baltic outside.  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #333 on: 05/05/2012 at 23:27 »
I ended up spending a few with the switch rod. hours down at Grandholme with the switch rod. The rod makes fishing some of the more wooded/high banks so much easier and i managed to get a few casts in spots that are normally only fished with a spinner.

And I caught nothing! I saw nothing. I heard nothing. There was a very cold northerly wind and the river was still running high.

Was nice to be out though and the casting was just "working" for a change and I managed a few nice underhand casts.

Loxiafan

« Reply #334 on: 06/05/2012 at 00:03 »
I checked Parkhill after I finished work, arriving the back of two. Possibly too late - lots of crippled LDO's and a few Olive Uprights in the back eddies. Never saw a rise and didn't make a cast even though there were trickles of Olives and a few sporadic MB's (or LBD's). Hail shower while I was there and a strong NW downstream wind which would have made casting a nightmare anyway. The weather conditions today would have made for a poor day in March never mind May !

Water about 20cm above Summer Low but running Gin clear where I was, in fact possibly too clear - we're never happy are we  :z4

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #335 on: 06/05/2012 at 18:06 »
Upper parkhill today from about 2. Parked at the bridge and headed upriver. Met Goolager who had been out a few hrs and was just about to give up not having seen much. Least I knew I hadn't missed much action!
I walked to the top of the beat, didn't see a rise despite a trickle of olives evident in most places. Spoke to a guy who was nymphing the fast riffles, he had just returned one trout of 1lb.
At the top I stuck on a wooly bugger and fished it back down. One chase from a half lbr and that was it. Another week gone  :z6

ugie fisher

« Reply #336 on: 06/05/2012 at 18:32 »
Has anyone heard of any salmon being caught recently because this don report seem to be mainly based on brown trout.

Loxiafan

« Reply #337 on: 06/05/2012 at 19:37 »
I was "upstream"  :wink of you guys Noel from about 12 ish till about 3.30pm. Very sporadic hatch at 12.30 but literally only a couple of small fish where I was - the strong down stream wind made decent turnover of a dry fly almost impossible; a recurring theme at the moment it seems.

Sat and waited for ages for flies/fish to move.....nothing. Wind picked up more. Was heading back to the car when the wind literally stopped completely (at 2.50pm) and a small but welcome hatch of LDO's came on. I "followed" a decent fish from it's resting lie to the head of a stream/crease where it was picking off flies streaming down. I covered it consistently and it consistently took the "real" fly inches away from my artificial - it would have been laughable if I wasn't desperate to save another blank ! At least I didn't spook it which is something I suppose. Then the wind started again, this time from WSW and that was it, the big boy moved back to his beid and so did I.

I have read certain fishing reports stating that the Don trout season has got of to a flier. Really ? I don't want to jump the gun but I am not seeing much fish when I am out and about, and I am out and about quite a bit......

Never mind, I 'll give Liam's pool a thrash tomorrow  :z7

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #338 on: 06/05/2012 at 19:42 »
Lindsay,

You sure you know where 'My pool' is?  :z7

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #339 on: 06/05/2012 at 19:50 »
Has anyone heard of any salmon being caught recently because this don report seem to be mainly based on brown trout.

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/thread43184.html

Apparently a poor day at U.Parkhill yesterday according to the Salmon guy I spoke to, no-one catching.

According to this months T&S good numbers of Salmon were taken on lower beats. Dinnae know as I don't fish for them.

Martin Webster also writes that fresh early Sea Trout  have been landed  :wink

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #340 on: 06/05/2012 at 19:52 »
You sure you know where 'My pool' is?  :z7
Liam

Oh yes ! Google Earth is fantastic, amazing detail, like even wooden bridges show up clearly !  :wink

Pullin' yer leg dude, will be heading elsewhere. Don't fancy another day punching a 4 weight into a force 6 !

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #341 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:04 »
Ah well there ain't many wooden bridges on my homestretch  :X2

Good luck on your voyage  :z16

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #342 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:21 »
Had a couple of hours free today so had a cast at upper fintray, nice bit of water. Had one wee broon troot on a waterhen bloa, was fun on a 3wt. Also missed what felt like a decent sized pull before that. Did see a few fish rising but they were on the opposite bank and with the wind i was never reaching them.

Looks like i should get out again tomorrow for a bit hope the wind dies down. Any suggestions of a more sheltered beat on the Don would be more than welcome?

Cheers,

Dan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #343 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:25 »
Balbithan, top end of the beat is tree lined and is normally not to bad depending on wind direction  :z16

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #344 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:30 »
Cheers Liam,

How is the parking up at the top end of the beat, heard a few guys complaining about access to the water. I dont mind a long walk as long as i can dump the car some where.

Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com