Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #300 on: 02/05/2012 at 11:04 »
Forecast at end of week is not great again so don't hold your breath ! Looks like May is continuing where April left off, becoming a bit of a bore really.

Golf anyone ? !

Lindsay

Phil

« Reply #301 on: 02/05/2012 at 22:21 »
I fished the Don today after work, was surpriesed how clear the water was, still a bit high but clear...  :z16 a few upwing flies were showing, but nothing rising... it was late as well when I arrived. So I fished with a streamer and caugth a tinny brownie...  I have seen a baby pike too! maybe 10cm...   ??? probably drifted down with the flood... but are there any lochs upstream that hold pike? or is there a pike population in the Don?

I hope it wont rain anymore, might finally be good weekend to fish... the last weeks have been so frustrating...

Tight lines,
Phil

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #302 on: 03/05/2012 at 06:11 »
Hi Phil

The don has always had a population of pike and perch, not seen any for a good while so it's nice to know they are still around. I've had pike up to nearly double figures when spinning in certain pools. I think most people don't fish in the pikey spots as they are fishing for salmon so tend not to notice, but they are there if you look for them :z16

Sandy

Phil

« Reply #303 on: 03/05/2012 at 11:44 »
Hi Sandy,

thanks for the info! Might try some of my pike streamer then one day  :z4

Phil

Liam Stephen

« Reply #304 on: 03/05/2012 at 16:59 »
Guys  :z16

Was down my home stretch of the Don today. Arrived at 12.30pm and was greeted by a mass of fly (MB's LDO's BWO's and some Sedgey looking thing... Grannom??) and a handful of 1/2-3/4lbers, a promising start :grin. On went my trusty two flees, out they went and bang! A 3/4lber struck the Klink but it was spat out shortly after  :z10 this was the how rest of the day went... On :z14 then off  :X1. I hooked a good 14-15 Brownies today and only one came to the net  :z8

Ah well theres always another day  :z16

Was anyone else out today with any joy?

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #305 on: 03/05/2012 at 17:25 »
Not out fishing today but did have a walk along the Cruives beat on the Don, didn't see any fish but did see a big seal swimming down through Snuffies and Benzies.

Would this mean that it would have been chasing some fresh fish up from the mouth of the river? :z8

Noel Kelly

« Reply #306 on: 03/05/2012 at 21:10 »
Guys  :z16

Was down my home stretch of the Don today. Arrived at 12.30pm and was greeted by a mass of fly (MB's LDO's BWO's and some Sedgey looking thing... Grannom??) and a handful of 1/2-3/4lbers, a promising start :grin. On went my trusty two flees, out they went and bang! A 3/4lber struck the Klink but it was spat out shortly after  :z10 this was the how rest of the day went... On :z14 then off  :X1. I hooked a good 14-15 Brownies today and only one came to the net  :z8

Ah well theres always another day  :z16

Was anyone else out today with any joy?

Liam

Hooking that many is a good day by any account. Loosing so many though is a bit odd and must be very annoying! I wonder why this is happening? Are you hooking them mainly on one of the offerings?
Would have been a good evening to be on the river... Couldn't make it which I'm peed of about as there is more shite weather on the way tomorrow.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #307 on: 03/05/2012 at 21:22 »
Perhaps I'm striking too early or something  :z8 or maybe they were just taking the piss today  :z7

Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #308 on: 03/05/2012 at 21:24 »
or maybe they were just taking the piss today  :z7

Yep :z16

Jazzaman1234

« Reply #309 on: 03/05/2012 at 21:36 »
Hi

Was on the urie tonight up old meldrum road it was rubbish

Not a bite. Water was looking great too.

Cheers

Jazza

Loxiafan

« Reply #310 on: 03/05/2012 at 23:22 »
Were they hitting the Klink rather than Dink Liam ? If the Klink, do you tie the nymph on NZ style ( tied on hook shank of Klink) ? Some guys reckon this can affect hooks ups as the trailing nylon may impede a solid hook set - I can't comment as I don't really use this method much and when I have it is usually the nymph that does the biz.

I had a day at Parkill last May where down literally every riffle or crease that I prospected with a size 16 Klink a fish slashed at it - must have been similar to you today. Had a couple on briefly then straight off. I reckon most were tail splashing the Klink (to drown it) and I was striking in to thin air ! Went home dejected and not a fan of 'big' Klinks ( as Ollie recommeded). Now I much prefer a smaller DHE and they hit this like a Polaris, no pussyfooting - take forceps !

The 'vets' may have better advice  :wink Better to be rising an missing 'em rather than not rising them at all !

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #311 on: 03/05/2012 at 23:30 »
Lindsay

I fish with fancy Klinks by Fulling Mill- SR Klinks they call them  :cool:. So that eliminates the problem (or it is supposed to)  :z8. I was losing them to both dry and nymph  :X1 Yes sounds familiar, the splashing was defo happening today. It's not the 1st time I have hooked loads and lost all but one. I've heard good things about the DHE and am waiting on a fly order containing a few   :z16

Yup at least the trout were showing.

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #312 on: 03/05/2012 at 23:39 »
I fish with fancy Klinks by Fulling Mill- SR Klinks they call them  :cool:.

Are they the 'hi-tech' ones with a little mono loop at the bum end, or a metal loop on the hook ? If so I reckon they'd be excellent, so not the mono problem I alluded to.

Have you tried an Oppo - Fulling Mill do them. A sort of Klink/Paradun hybrid but doesn't hang down as much. You have to either bend the hook with pliers or use a scud type hook. I bend the hook  :roll

Re the DHE - get some hares fur from the back (not mask !) and some coastal deer hair and tie a few up ? Even a monkey like me can do a decent job  :z7

Cheers,

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #313 on: 03/05/2012 at 23:49 »
...looks like a Roman Moser 1mm micro ring tied on to hook with mono ? Might just have to try that !

L

Liam Stephen

« Reply #314 on: 03/05/2012 at 23:54 »
That's the ones!  :grin I think they're great. Never tried the Oppo but have seen them and they also look very nice. I tried tying a few but couldn't get the deer hair to sit properly, think I'll put the tying stuff away till close season- I was getting frustrated with it  :oops

Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com