Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #255 on: 16/04/2012 at 22:23 »
Had a few hrs out today. Found a very localised hatch with a few risers. Wide river, strong wind crap caster etc etc etc end result a 3/4 lbr saved the blank.
I must have walked 5 miles of bank today and seen very little to aim at.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #256 on: 16/04/2012 at 22:41 »
Nice fish Windknot  :z16

Unlucky Trig at least you never blanked  :z7

Masses of fly coming of where I was today. MBs and LDOs were getting lots of interest. I got in amongst some big boys, in the 50 yard stretch I was fishing  there was at least 6 decent fish upto 3lbs+ saw him head and tail twice but put him down  :cry it was not all tantrums today though  :z14 got a nice plump 1.5 lber to an olive baetis and a few little guys to the Klink. The borrowed VXP is a dream to cast with, cheers Goo  :z16

Liam

Iain Goolager

« Reply #257 on: 16/04/2012 at 23:19 »
Nice fish Michael  :z16

Well done Lindsay for catching off of the surface in that weather yesterday. :z16

3/4lb or not Trig, a fish on the dry is a fish on the dry. so  :z16 to you too

Liam, glad the rod meets with your approval & that you are back in business wit hthe Troot,  :z16

I thought I saw a largeish Sedge in flight today - Grannom?  Anyone seen any?

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #258 on: 16/04/2012 at 23:24 »
Saw no caddis but I did see a couple of large female stones about.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #259 on: 17/04/2012 at 06:56 »
Nice fish Michael, well done  :z16

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #260 on: 17/04/2012 at 07:03 »
. The borrowed VXP

Hmmmm think I have missed out on an episode of Liam's bank side adventures?

Loxiafan

« Reply #261 on: 17/04/2012 at 11:19 »
Also that sounds like a pretty tough afternoons fishing yesterday for you Lindsay, bet hooking that fish made it worth it...Lots of insects/fly life on the water surface but nothing rising..Still waiting to get off the mark for trout this season.  :oops

It was probably verging on insanity Dan ! I have had a day last week (Tues) where there was quite abundant fly on the water and very very few risers - started wondering if LDO's taste bad or something ! The fly hatches and subsequent rising fish do appear to be 'localised' when you sit down and read everyones reports from the same day (which makes this an invaluable Forum and Thread IMO). I do wonder if a Jingler and a Waterhen Bloa cast upstream to these 'fussy' fish would be a better tactic ? Also, the nymph appears to be outfishing the dry at the mo, but for me I want to fish dry if I can - I love seeing the fish take the fly.

The fish will come Dan - it has been very hard going and I have had to put the hours in to get the few I have had. Try and get a day out with Liam et al - wherever he goes there are good hatches and biting fish !  :cool: Alternatively, I have a weekend pass for Sat afternoon, Sunday and Monday next week so might catch you around....let's hope water and air conditions are favourable !

Lindsay

Iain Cameron

« Reply #262 on: 17/04/2012 at 13:32 »

I braved the brutal conditions ...  experience of covering a rising fish in a snow shower and seeing it suck the CDC dry down. Only 9/10 inches but wild, and in those conditions pretty special for me.

hi lindsay  - i was upstream and on opposite bank - i'd been exploring a pool/stretch i'd not been to before, and figured that while the weather was too wild too fish, I might as well investigate. I'd been contemplating how insane (dedicated) it was to be out in such wind and snow, and packed it in... good on ya for persevering. or just being perverse... :-)

Iain Cameron

« Reply #263 on: 17/04/2012 at 13:48 »
Monday 16th. was out with a mate who is new to river fishing, he managed his first ever river brownie on a wee dry fly. 10" or so, he was well pleased. 

Fair effort in a strong-ish wind, and while he was learning to deal with bankside vegetation, waiting for hatches, upstream dry fishing, line management, walking for miles, avoiding drag... all the kinda stuff you don't have to deal with (so much) on a still water.

makes my day different too - have to help out a wee bit, and give someone else first go at a pool/rising fish; that last one can be frustrating when your mate's first cast ends up in the bushes, and 10 mins later, the rise has stopped :-)    i guess we've all been there!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #264 on: 17/04/2012 at 14:12 »
So satisfying when they catch one though Iain ...... well done! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #265 on: 17/04/2012 at 14:19 »
hi lindsay  - i was upstream and on opposite bank - i'd been exploring a pool/stretch i'd not been to before, and figured that while the weather was too wild too fish, I might as well investigate. I'd been contemplating how insane (dedicated) it was to be out in such wind and snow, and packed it in... good on ya for persevering. or just being perverse... :-)

If you were close enough you'd have heard me swearing at the wind more than a few times !  :wink I was having to time casts (straight in to the wind) during minor lulls - a couple of times I miss timed it and ended up 'wearing' my new Rio LT floater #4 :z4 Met another guy (maybe on here ?). He had a couple swinging a team of 3 wets down and across and was amazed when I pointed out the rising fish - he had seen none all day. I think that is the great thing about fishing dry only - you really observe what is going on a bit more and the reason I don't really want to Klink and Dink blindly is that I end up staring at the pink post on the klink to the exclusion of everything else on the water. Maybe that is just me ! Some Amber Polaroids have helped as well, thanks to the guys on here for that advice (Sandy, Ben etc).

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #266 on: 20/04/2012 at 08:50 »
Haven't been down the river for a couple of days, how is the rain helping with the water level situation?

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #267 on: 20/04/2012 at 10:49 »
Haven't been down the river for a couple of days, how is the rain helping with the water level situation?

Cheers
Mike

Helping!  :mad Think my missus now wishes for rain mid week so I will be available for house/garden slavery at the weekend.

Andy Finlay

« Reply #268 on: 20/04/2012 at 23:07 »

Cheers
Mike

Depends what you class as helping Mike. Went to have a look out at inverurie tonight, waters up a good 1-1/2ft since last week id say, it also looks like hot chocolate :z19.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #269 on: 20/04/2012 at 23:14 »
Fishdpal showing Haughton as steady but over 2ft above the gauge, bridge of alford rising and Parkhill as 2ft 3" over the gauge and rising. I'm going to go and walk the banks on a beat I haven't fished before and practise some casting. I'll be amazed if it cleared at all by tomorrow.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com