Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #225 on: 12/04/2012 at 00:34 »
Guys,

Some superb fish on the go just now.  Can we please not mention pool names in reports and be careful not to post pictures that give away locations of specimen fish.  There was a trout just under 6lb chapped at Alford today, these lumps need to be looked after and protected.

Many thanks

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #226 on: 12/04/2012 at 01:07 »
Can we please not mention pool names in reports and be careful not to post pictures that give away locations of specimen fish.  

Thanks Ben :z16
I fully agree .... and this has been discussed before .... Please be careful not to mention exact locations like pools! :X1

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #227 on: 12/04/2012 at 12:54 »

There was a trout just under 6lb chapped at Alford today,

:shock  :z8

Might be best to take the advice of Don vets Goolager and .......

Lindsay, yes I fish the Don & yes I'm over 40 but you're having a bubble bath  :z4  :z4  :z4

I'm also getting credited with inventing the PTN   :z4  :z4 so all is flippin' sunny at 'Camp Iain'   - that's as in the name of a camp NOT as in -Iain is a backtickler.

Cold today, not too fussed about being at work.

Iain

Peter McCallum

« Reply #228 on: 12/04/2012 at 15:11 »

There was a trout just under 6lb chapped at Alford today, these lumps need to be looked after and protected.

:X7 Maybe the 'Lump' who caught it should be chapped  :X. You'd think we were passed the 'Great White Hunter' stage by now :mad :mad :mad

Ben Dixon

« Reply #229 on: 12/04/2012 at 16:09 »
Yes, grim.  Particularly as the "excited angler" came running into the shop with the fish in a bin bag to show me.  He was definitely not prepared for the response he got, it was about 5 times bigger than any trout he'd ever seen before and apparently it would not go back depsite his efforts ???  Whatever.   But, I don't think he'll chap a specimen again so probably ended up as well as it could.  We had a chat about it and he has agreed to make a donation to the Fly Life Study that Jamie is trying to organise.  Took scales from the fish, measurements and weight here and this info has gone to Jamie today.  I have a picture which has been sent to Jamie, I will not post it but he might once he has had time to read the scales.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #230 on: 12/04/2012 at 20:01 »
Particularly as the "excited angler" came running into the shop with the fish in a bin bag...

a bin bag, a fitting way for a fish to go...hmm, nice. at least it sounds like a lesson's been learned.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #231 on: 13/04/2012 at 02:01 »
Interesting to note that the cracking 6lb Brown was killed in Alford, I'm pretty sure that there has been no mention of Alford in this thread that I can remember, at least not recently anyway ....... everybody currently seems to think that all the Don Brownies are in Parkhill or Kintore :z4

Must confess that I think this is rather funny ..... I see it at the fishery all the time too, anglers and trout all over the lake and when an experienced angler gets the tactics right and catches a few trout, the others think that all the fish are under his boat and can't wait for him to up anchor so they can move to "the spot". That spot is actually where they are least likely to catch a fish, as it has already been well covered and the fish are now more wary. In my experience, this is even more the case on the river ......... There are nice trout throughout the river system :wink

Best wishes
Mike

puddock

« Reply #232 on: 13/04/2012 at 10:50 »
....... everybody currently seems to think that all the Don Brownies are in Parkhill or Kintore :z4

:z4 :z4 :z4

......... There are nice trout throughout the river system :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Well said, I have had some cracking fish from the most unlikliest of spots- probably due to the fact that most folks just walk right past without giving it a second thought. All it takes is a few casts as you do some "exploring". It might take a little more effort to get yourself into a decent position but I'd say that just adds to the satisfaction of finally getting that "surprise".
A bit of stealth and thinking outside the box certainly will pay dividends at the end of the day.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #233 on: 13/04/2012 at 17:21 »
Windy again this afternoon so didn't venture out for long  :cry

only saw a sprinkling of Olives and one rise.

He fell to a CDC on a skalka barbless and was returned

Cameraphone effort sorry

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #234 on: 13/04/2012 at 18:46 »
Nice fish Iain, did you weigh it?

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #235 on: 13/04/2012 at 19:40 »
Yes,
I did, it was 3lb on the nose but I've not checked the scales this season.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #236 on: 13/04/2012 at 19:55 »
Yes,
I did, it was 3lb on the nose but I've not checked the scales this season.

Iain

Not to shabby ethil  :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #237 on: 13/04/2012 at 20:16 »
Sweeet!!  :z16

Nice job Goo  :z7

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #238 on: 13/04/2012 at 21:00 »
How's the river looking at the moment? Not been out since sunday, hoping to get out tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Dan

Jim Eddie

« Reply #239 on: 14/04/2012 at 10:20 »
Windy again this afternoon so didn't venture out for long  :cry

only saw a sprinkling of Olives and one rise.

He fell to a CDC on a skalka barbless and was returned

Cameraphone effort sorry

Iain

Nice one Iain
 :z18
Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com