Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

spencie

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #210 on: 10/04/2012 at 22:24 »
There were a few fish rising at Parkhill today, didn't manage any big ones (saw a couple though) but managed 3 between 1 and 1 3/4 lbs. First trout of the year so still happy with my day out.

Stuart

Mike Barrio

« Reply #211 on: 10/04/2012 at 22:35 »
There were a few fish rising at Parkhill today, didn't manage any big ones (saw a couple though) but managed 3 between 1 and 1 3/4 lbs. First trout of the year so still happy with my day out.

Stuart

Great stuff Spencie :z16

Cheers
Mike

puddock

« Reply #212 on: 10/04/2012 at 23:00 »

Stuart

"Spencie.... Stuart"  ???
Cults academy by any chance ?     Ron Pirie  :wink

Michael Buchan

« Reply #213 on: 11/04/2012 at 08:52 »
Had a couple hours after work yesterday at Parkhill.  After a couple fruitless nights with spiders and nymph turned to the dark side and went streamer fishing.  2nd cast got a 1lber on a purple and black woolly bugger then made the mistake of going back to the car and getting my camera nothing afterwards   :cry 

Never saw anything moving plenty of small black midge in the air

Michael

Liam Stephen

« Reply #214 on: 11/04/2012 at 09:27 »
Looks like it could be a promising day today guys  :z14 good luck to all that are  out  :z16

Liam

spencie

« Reply #215 on: 11/04/2012 at 10:37 »

"Spencie.... Stuart"  ???
Cults academy by any chance ?     Ron Pirie  :wink
[/quote]

Hi Ron,

Yes that's me, that was a couple of years ago though  :z4 :wink

Stuart

Kev Danby

« Reply #216 on: 11/04/2012 at 13:18 »
Has anyone been out recently after salmon just wondering if there has been any spring fish making an appearence?

spencie

« Reply #217 on: 11/04/2012 at 19:38 »
Has anyone been out recently after salmon just wondering if there has been any spring fish making an appearence?

Haven't seenor heard of any salmon over the last few days.

Stuart

Loxiafan

« Reply #218 on: 11/04/2012 at 20:43 »
Lindsay, good talking to you today, forgot to say, how do you like the 4 wt outfit. I've never fished that light and it sounds appealing for the dry fly

Hi Geoff, good talking with you too. To keep it 'on topic' I fished a 10' #4 Streamflex (XF2) on the Don all last season for spiders, nymphs and dries and was a great all rounder and coped easily with 3 pound plus browns and sea trout on 5x tippet. This season I  bought the 9' #4 and really like it so far, more controlled and accurate for dries ! I did discuss with Iain (Goolager) on Sunday (in the wind !) that perhaps I should have went with a #5 but I still like the lighter rig as I fish at quite short ranges anyway and I can interchange on the 10' and 9' with the same reels/lines.

Might be best to take the advice of Don vets Goolager and Spiderman on this, but given you have the 9' #5 Streamflex anyway if I were you I'd use that for dries and possibly consider the 10' (or 11' !) in a #3 or #4 for your spiders and nymphing ? The 10' is quite soft though so I prefer a DT line for medium plus casts - Mikes GT90 was great at short range for roll cast etc, but with more line out it loaded that particular 10 foot rod too much IME and really I could have gone for a #3 line on the #4 rod. The Orvis Access Rods look really good too, a bit more expensive than the Grey's.

Regarding my 4/5 Streamlite reel that gave up the ghost mid sea trout, Grey's are replacing all internal plastic parts with metal parts FoC - a very helpful lady called Sarah in customer services is who to ask for if you want to go that route with your one. Mine only had 12 days left on warranty !

Hope this helps,

Lindsay

Iain Cameron

« Reply #219 on: 11/04/2012 at 20:49 »
There were a few fish rising at Parkhill today, didn't manage any big ones (saw a couple though) but managed 3 between 1 and 1 3/4 lbs.

good stuff stuart! hope you had your camera...
cheers
i

Geoff Gill

« Reply #220 on: 11/04/2012 at 21:12 »
Thanks for the info and help Lindsay, much appreciated   :z18
was out again today for a few hours, with very few fish showing and changeable weather conditions. saw one decent fish but put it down with poor cast in the wind  :oops

Geoff

Liam Stephen

« Reply #221 on: 11/04/2012 at 22:08 »
Much better fishing today, things are looking up   :z14

Not anything moving until 12.25 when a few Olives and MBs were getting slashed off the top. Two casts later I was into a 1/2 lber taken on a size 16 CDC Dun. It went quiet after that  :z8 perhaps the bright sun and wind put them off. Still I trundled on searching for more rises. I approached one of my favourite pools, where there was a couple of dimples popping up now and then so I decided to stop and watch. There was definitely some sub-surface activity, a change of tactics was needed. Off came the Dun, on went the trusty old Klink and Dink but I switched the PTN for a Stonefly nymph... I don't know why I did this? First cast into the tail of the pool my Klink paused and I checked into into a small fish of 6". I quickly worked my way through pool. 8 casts and 5 fish to 3/4 lb later (all to the SF nymph) I was glad with my choice.

I walked on down to ...... Pool where lots of fish were showing near to the other bank, some good ones too. Still the Olives and MBs were drifting past, by this time it was 13.40. I picked out the most promising fish tight in at the far bank. My flies landed just above where he was lying, a quick upstream mend was chucked in just before my Klink was slurped down. Fish on!! Around 2lbs but it wasn't meant to be  :cry. He spat the hook on the first leap , bugger! Determined to net a decent fish I cast to next one 30 yards upstream. 4 casts and  I was in again, not as big but still a very welcome fish. After a brief fight he was netted, it looked to be 1 1/2 lb  :z14 as far as I was concerned my day was complete. Just as I clambered up the bank another fish started rising, typical. I couldn't resist slipping back into the water I prepared my flies. He was up again and again a quick repositioning and I was set. A perfect cast if ever there was one placed my flies within inches of the target. The Klink slid under and the surface erupted. This was a better fish, the little blighter made for the deep water a few times but eventually tired and was slipped into the net. A beautifully marked fish of 1 3/4 lbs, mission complete!  :z16

The one thing which would make this post is photos. However my camera is travelling from Greenock to Kintore as I write this.  :oops

Parkhill is on for tomorrow so let's hope the weather is kind and the fish play ball.

Tight lines
Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #222 on: 11/04/2012 at 22:50 »
Great post Liam and very well done :z16 great to hear the fish are back to taking surface fodder. As I said last year you will be out fishing us all soon. In fact you probably are already :z16

Phil

« Reply #223 on: 11/04/2012 at 23:24 »
Nice report Liam! Sounds like a awesome day  :z16

I fished the ........ Pool on Monday afternoon, have seen one trout rising there on the other side but I found it really difficult to cast to the other side, without dregging... good job! :z14

I think I might have met you on Monday? Kintore? Close to the bridge?  :? If you are arround 18 or so...?

Tight lines,
Phil

Liam Stephen

« Reply #224 on: 11/04/2012 at 23:45 »
Hi Phil,

I really like the water down that way.  It's difficult to cover unless you wade, waist deep in the middle for the most part. The rewards are worth it  :z16

Yeah that was me, you were with your girlfriend/partner?  Only 16 though  :z12

Cheers
Liam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com