Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #165 on: 08/04/2012 at 16:34 »
Just back from Kemnay, caught nowt  :cry water looked as if it was clearing and there was plenty of LDOs and MBs kicking around but no fish showing. There's always tomorrow  :z16

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #166 on: 08/04/2012 at 17:06 »
Dan, Sunday fishing on all beats except for balbathan and torryburn and lower parkhill north bank.

danbruce

« Reply #167 on: 08/04/2012 at 17:16 »
Cheers An Chuileog  :z16.

Lower parkhill was a bit high and dirty today, saw one fish constantly rising covered it with pretty much everything I had. But no joy. Didn't see much else.

troutcatcher

« Reply #168 on: 08/04/2012 at 17:44 »
New to form but like this thread on the Don
Was at Fintray on early Friday morning. Seen a few salmon jumping and then guess what two large black things. Seals chasing the fish up the water. Yes you read correct two seals, one manged to get a salmon.
Carried on fishing for trout but nothing rising. Loads of flys on the water. A few hours later got a small trout.

Can't wait to get back.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #169 on: 08/04/2012 at 18:00 »
sorry Liam & Noel, but you missed this one...

21" brownie (?about 3.5-4lb??)

sorry about taking the fish out of the water for the 2nd pic, got excited! Thankfully my pal Simon R was on hand to net & pic.

fished out of a pool where back casting is impossible; all that single-handed roll casting practice coming in useful!

my best ever Don brownie, well chuffed
iain

danbruce

« Reply #170 on: 08/04/2012 at 18:03 »
Cracking fish Iain, well done. :z16

Dan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #171 on: 08/04/2012 at 18:10 »
Ooooh ya bugger!! Well done Iain cracking fish  :z16 what flee did he take?

Liam

Iain Cameron

« Reply #172 on: 08/04/2012 at 18:30 »
liam,

liked the 'new' waders!

no flies showing, and it was raining... so resorted to my fave wee team of wet & spider. took a small invicta. basically about all i ever seem to fish with this season. so far, it's taken salmon & sea trout kelts, and a couple of broons.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #173 on: 08/04/2012 at 18:37 »
Haha cheers  :z7

Funny that Noel had a couple of tiddlers on Invictas. I never really have any faith in wets though  :z8 

Well done  :z16

Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #174 on: 08/04/2012 at 18:39 »
Nice trout Iain .... Excellent stuff :z16

Invicta was always a good fly on the Don for me too, especially the silver version in the evenings :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #175 on: 08/04/2012 at 19:17 »

Invicta was always a good fly on the Don for me too, especially the silver version in the evenings :cool:

love a wee shiny invicta or two...  I've gotten back into wet fly fishing on the rivers a bit now and again, quite relaxing and metronomic, and keeps me active (i'm just too twitchy to sit and await a hatch all the time).

Loxiafan

« Reply #176 on: 08/04/2012 at 20:03 »
Back from U. Parkhill. Very Dour, hard going and water higher than last night despite SEPA gauge saying it was dropping. At 2.45pm some fish started rising to LDO's at the tail of Cockers but way to far out to cover. Found one rising two feet out from the bank on the Goval and finally tempted it with JT Olive dry. Nice plump 3/4 pound Brownie that gave a surprisingly good account of itself.

Bumped into Iain (Goolager) just before tempting the fish and had a good chat after !

Forecast for the week looks variable  :cry

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #177 on: 08/04/2012 at 20:16 »
The sea trout kelts start feeding again before heading back out to sea. With the unusually early spring this year and large hatches of flies, the kelts will be in much better condition than usual. They will have regained much of their shape, but as they have not returned to sea, they are still technically kelts. Fresh sea trout are much more occasional feeders and this usually only starts after they have been in freshwater for some time. So if you are catching actively feeding sea trout this early in the season, you can virtually guarantee they are kelts.

I understand what you are saying G Richie but I still reckon they were fresh, and based on your criteria how would you tell that they weren't ! ? I would like to think I could recognize a Sea Trout kelt and have caught over wintered Finnock (in April) on the Don that were obvious. I have also caught Sea Trout in lower beats of several rivers where they hadn't been in the system long so not sure I agree. Sorry, I don't want to come across as defensive ! If they were kelts, still in the system in April, then would these these fish return to spawn again this year ?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #178 on: 08/04/2012 at 20:34 »
I have caught sea trout kelts as late as the first week of May. They will drop back to sea and may only stay there for 2 to 3 months before coming back into the river. I know it is a bit of a grey area, some of the ones which have been feeding hard regain quite a lot of their condition. There can be some overlap with the very first of the fresh sea trout entering the river and the last of the kelts leaving.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #179 on: 08/04/2012 at 21:54 »
Result Iain  :z16 delighted for you. I also enjoy fishing wets on the river and do get quiet a few fish on them but never had anything bigger than say 1.5lbs.
So you didn't see that fish rising then I take it?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com