Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #150 on: 07/04/2012 at 11:15 »
Yeah I have had some great sport I'll post in detail later, I'll try to add a few pics too  :z16

Ah well fingers crossed are you heading to association water tomorrow if conditions improve?

Liam

Iain Cameron

« Reply #151 on: 07/04/2012 at 14:52 »
just reposting a link for Don heights/conditions. it's a summary of a fuller sepa data set (but I prefer this one).
I check this regularly; over time, I can associate the river heights with the bits I fish, and get a feel for it all.

http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Don/RiverLevels.asp?dom=Don

alternatively, I can just go upstairs and lean out of the window for a gander at the water!!!

oh, and for fairly accurate and detailed weather conditions
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Aberdeen

Irvine Ross

« Reply #152 on: 07/04/2012 at 16:51 »
Out for the first time today in my usual haunts on the upper river. The water is high but clear and certainly fishable.

Nothing doing all morning nor for the first half of the afternoon. A good hatch of LDOs started at about 3pm and a few fish started to rise. I had one on briefly but there was too much slack in my leader when it took the fly and I didn't get a decent strike. The bright orange of my new Barrio line certainly didn't put it off. Then the hatch stopped and the trout all went to bed. Typical early season day but it was god to get out again.

Irvine

puddock

« Reply #153 on: 07/04/2012 at 23:19 »
Had a try at Inverurie today. Water well up and spent a good part of my day just  'observing'.
Not many trout showing but did see some sea trout moving occassionaly. Also had a chat with an 'old timer' who, when I mentioned that I was surprised to have 2 nice Sea Trout on Tuesday, commented that the Don often has an early run in late March/ early April...
Hopefully we wont get too much more rain and the water will be in good shape for early next week.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #154 on: 07/04/2012 at 23:38 »
Hi Puddock

The rains off for now fingers crossed it stays that way. Was the water clearing any? I hope to get out tomorrow  :z16

Cheers
Liam

puddock

« Reply #155 on: 07/04/2012 at 23:42 »
I gave up @3.30 . The level hadn't dropped any but I would say it had started to clear a little from morning.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #156 on: 07/04/2012 at 23:49 »
I think I might just give it a bash. You don't know if you dont try  :z16

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #157 on: 08/04/2012 at 00:12 »
Also had a chat with an 'old timer' who, when I mentioned that I was surprised to have 2 nice Sea Trout on Tuesday, commented that the Don often has an early run in late March/ early April...

Cheers, that goes some way in answering my query about early Sea Trout on the Don !

I checked Parkill at 2pm Saturday, lots of fly life and many LDO's coming down but no fish rising. Water was still quite brown when I left around 4 pm but the Sepa gauge shows it is dropping. I will defo give it a try tomorrow - no Salmon spinners about.  :grin

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #158 on: 08/04/2012 at 00:22 »
Upper or Lower Park tomorrow? What do you's think?

:z16

Noel Kelly

« Reply #159 on: 08/04/2012 at 01:35 »
Lindsay the elusive. Do you carry a fishing bag? If so think I have seen but not spoken to you the 2 times I been out.

Liam. Gis a call in the morn.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #160 on: 08/04/2012 at 08:48 »
Right decision time  :roll just checked the levels and it's running steady at 1ft 4 above, hopefully the clarity has improved. Is it still fishable guys?

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #161 on: 08/04/2012 at 09:46 »
Lindsay the elusive. Do you carry a fishing bag? If so think I have seen but not spoken to you the 2 times I been out.

Hi Noel, no don't carry a fishing bag. I was setting up at the Hen Blackie car park last Sunday and 3 guys ( possibly yourself, Liam and Iain ???) walked past and starting fishing the end of the L. Parkhill beat ? I fished the Stoneywood beat.

River looks like it is rising again upstream and more rain forecast, and all just as I have got a week off !  :mad Will have a look this morning and see if there is a hatch/rise cause tomorrow looks like a write-off if we get the rain that is forecast later today.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Phil

« Reply #162 on: 08/04/2012 at 11:31 »
Has anyone been to the river today? I was wondering if the Don cleared up?  ???

I fished Alford on Friday and the water was already up and dark, I caught a tinny trout on a hears ear nymph... There has still been snow on the hills and I had the feeling that the water got darker in the afternoon, also a lot of weed and sticks in the water... went to Kintore at 4pm as I though that the melt water reaches the lower beats later, but water was also up...

Been to Kintore yesterday as well, but didn't even make a cast... Really frustrating, feels like the long easter weekend is lost...  :z10

Is there a rule of thumb wich beats clear up first, upper middle or lower Don? I mean if there is still snow in the montains it's probably more likely that the water stays up longer in the upper beats and the lower beats are fishable?  :z8  just a thought....

Phil

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #163 on: 08/04/2012 at 12:47 »
Cracking fish Noel you did well under those conditions ! Thanks for the intel on state of the river - I may give tomorrow a miss now as I don't like fishing a rising river. Maybe Sunday or Monday will be better assuming it doesn't pish down. Sounds like the fish were as disinterested in the LDO's as Thursday ? Surely in these cases they must be picking off ascending nymphs in or near the riffles, would be interested to hear what you more experienced guys think ?

A couple of folks have said to me that fresh Sea Trout in the Don is unusual in early April ? I am 100% positive mine from Monday were fresh fish and not kelts, even well mended ones. It would be interesting to hear other's thoughts.

Yep, the dreaded Flying C  :z10...............but not on Sunday  :grin !

Cheers,

Lindsay

The sea trout kelts start feeding again before heading back out to sea. With the unusually early spring this year and large hatches of flies, the kelts will be in much better condition than usual. They will have regained much of their shape, but as they have not returned to sea, they are still technically kelts. Fresh sea trout are much more occasional feeders and this usually only starts after they have been in freshwater for some time. So if you are catching actively feeding sea trout this early in the season, you can virtually guarantee they are kelts.

danbruce

« Reply #164 on: 08/04/2012 at 16:24 »
Quick question, which ADAA beats are members allowed to fish on a Sunday? Had a look on the website but could only find sunday fishing allowed on lower parkhill.

Cheers,

Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com