Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #135 on: 03/04/2012 at 12:02 »
Agreed nice to see some pics tosh :z16 great to hear fish are being taken despite the artic blast! Better luck today Liam cause I bet you are out!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #136 on: 03/04/2012 at 19:14 »
Nah Noel not on the Don today, as I'm down in not so sunny Perthshire. Got a trip planned to the River Earn tomorrow :z16

Hopefully I'll get some action, I'll report back tomorrow.

Liam

Andy Finlay

« Reply #137 on: 04/04/2012 at 12:55 »
Anyone know how the rivers looking after the Snow, was hoping to get out for a few hours tonight but is it a bit coloured?

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #138 on: 04/04/2012 at 17:01 »
Just back from Kemnay beat , up a bit but nowhere near enough. Was coloured early on but seems to be clear again now .

Trout rising but I could not manage one over the pound mark.  Smaller ones kept me amused .

puddock

« Reply #139 on: 04/04/2012 at 21:54 »
Had a great day at Inverurie - 8 trout (3/4lb - 1 1/2 lbs) & a sea trout @ 2lbs. All on Klinks (good rise between @ 1pm - 3pm) apart from 1 trout on a 14 wet.
All fish were taken in the afternoon - drew a blank nymphing in the riffles (missed a couple though).
First time back fishing for a few years and it's good to be back  :grin

Loxiafan

« Reply #140 on: 05/04/2012 at 23:44 »
Managed a couple of hours at L. Parkhill today from noon till the back of 2pm when I had to split for work. LDO Duns started appearing about 12.30, intensifying  from 1.20pm. The level was up a bit but still running clear. Although there were decent number of Duns there wasn't much rising compared with Monday and any that were were on the North bank !

I did spot one fish sneakily rising to a couple of LDO's on my bank and caught him with the second cast - very satisfying, beginning to feel like a 'real' fly angler with all this dry only mullarkey ! :shock Cracking sub 2lb Brown Trout, quite silver flanked but giveaway butter belly and yellow gill plates unlike the silver beasties from the weekend. Put back alive and well as always. Size 17 JT Olive did the biz again. I actually spent more time watching and looking for rising fish rather than nymph or fish spiders blindly though you guys that like to fish that way would no doubt have done well.

So, not bad for a couple of impromptu hours, though had the feeling it would have improved after 2pm. The new Streamflex 9' #4 has been christened but the new Orvis Hydros II reel Ben sold me on Tuesday is still awaiting a Rio LT (thanks to Ben for the excellent advice with the reel, very helpful  :z16).

May have another go tomorrow and certainly Saturday/Sunday, maybe catch some of you out and about - I think I must have been at Parkhill on Sunday when you guys were there.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #141 on: 06/04/2012 at 18:26 »
Fished upper parkhill today for the first time. Nice water!!! Walked the beat first while waiting for a hatch or any activity. Fair few salmon splashing about, Kelts I suppose.
A few olives started to appear about 1 o clock but no rising trout. This turned into a sustained hatch that was still going strong when I left at 4. The slack water was covered in olives but the rises were few and far between.
Altogether I saw 3 fish feeding properly and managed 2 of them. The other I couldn't cover.
First one turned out to be a well mended sea trout kelt of about 2.5lbs and the second a fit brownie pictured below. Water was up a bit, taking on a bit of colour and some weed coming down. Still very fishable but I hope it doesn't continue to rain!  

Mike Barrio

« Reply #142 on: 06/04/2012 at 20:05 »
Great stuff Noel .... nice fish :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #143 on: 06/04/2012 at 21:25 »
Well done Noel.  Deveron unfishable today but managed a nice two pounder off Park.
You're right, hope it stops raining, water will clear quickly and fishing could get even better that it was in March.

Wee tally for me finished with 93 for March best 3lb 12oz off Park and 2lb 12oz off the river.  Amazingly 12 were between 2lb to 2lb 12oz and just short of 30 between 1lb and 2lb.  Three seatroots as well which if kelt were very well mended.  Didn't look too hard as big hatches and big rises meant too busy chasin troots.

Four other trophies over three pound also lost but far from spoilin things the brief encounter was very welcome.

I Deveron still out of sorts on Monday might have to look Don way?

Cheers

Allan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #144 on: 06/04/2012 at 22:18 »
Lol very good Allan and you even mentioned the don in your last sentence :z4

Water up a foot at Alford  :cry that prob means river fooked tomorrow and metal chuckers oops salmon fishermen aways.

Loxiafan

« Reply #145 on: 07/04/2012 at 00:05 »
Cracking fish Noel you did well under those conditions ! Thanks for the intel on state of the river - I may give tomorrow a miss now as I don't like fishing a rising river. Maybe Sunday or Monday will be better assuming it doesn't pish down. Sounds like the fish were as disinterested in the LDO's as Thursday ? Surely in these cases they must be picking off ascending nymphs in or near the riffles, would be interested to hear what you more experienced guys think ?

A couple of folks have said to me that fresh Sea Trout in the Don is unusual in early April ? I am 100% positive mine from Monday were fresh fish and not kelts, even well mended ones. It would be interesting to hear other's thoughts.

Yep, the dreaded Flying C  :z10...............but not on Sunday  :grin !

Cheers,

Lindsay

Allan Liddle

« Reply #146 on: 07/04/2012 at 08:54 »
Yup waters look out of sorts from the various webcams but might still have a wee foray into headwater country.
As long as its not too dirty then fish might be locked into emerging nymphs or other flushed out items below.  A box of worms or some gadgers (stonefly nymphs) wouldn't go amiss.  Oops sorry I've given all that up long ago when I moved over from the Dark Side.  :z4

Noel Kelly

« Reply #147 on: 07/04/2012 at 10:29 »
Just been up for a look at kintore bridge. Don't think it could be browner :cry so instead of fishing it's gonna be a day of washing cars, painting and other crap activities.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #148 on: 07/04/2012 at 10:53 »
Nice wee fish there Noel   :z16

What sort of height is the River running at? Will it be fishable in a couple of days do you think?

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #149 on: 07/04/2012 at 11:02 »
Hi Liam, are you getting any fishing on your break?
River up about 2ft. If it doesn't rain more I hope it will be fishable tomorrow. Don't really know though.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com