Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #120 on: 02/04/2012 at 18:16 »
Right fellas I'm away to brave these balmy temps and try land a big broon. I'll report back later :z16

Wish me luck.

Liam

Come on then we are waiting!

Loxiafan

« Reply #121 on: 02/04/2012 at 18:32 »
Rob, Noel you are in good company - I blanked yesterday too ! I did insist on fishing the dry/emerger so possibly my own fault given the poor conditions - there were a few fish rising very sporadically but not enough to cover them with any kind of presentation in that wind. Took a gush over my waders, caught a bush and the pawl on my Streamlite reel gave out so went home dejected.

Today, however, was different matter ! Loads of fish rising when I arrived at Parkhill with many LDO's on the surface and on went size 17 JT Olive. Rose a fish right away and missed it. Hooked one, on briefly and then off. Arggggggh ! Then a Sea Trout at 1.5 lbs landed, another Sea Trout 'jumper' of the same size released himself at my feet in some weeds. Best fish, again on JT Olive, was a 2 plus lb Sea Trout and whilst she was stripping line from the reel the brand new pawl I put on the Streamlite last night gave up ! Somehow managed to palm the rim smoothly enough and wind in on a slack clutch to finally land her, cracking fish bright silver so very fresh.

So, 3 Sea Trout of which two landed and all on dry fly. That is more like it ! Off to Orvis Banchory tomorrow if snow stays off as I am thinking of retiring the unreliable Streamlite (lasted a season  :shock) for an Access Mid Arbor II, see what Ben says.

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #122 on: 02/04/2012 at 19:25 »
Whats with all these sea-trout :z8

I'm wondering if the broonies have all been off on their hols in this nice weather and come back without a tan :z14

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #123 on: 02/04/2012 at 19:42 »
Sea trout....I want.

Loxiafan

« Reply #124 on: 02/04/2012 at 19:49 »
Whats with all these sea-trout :z8

Maybe they think it is May what with all the high temps we have had over the last 2-3 weeks ? The ones I landed were definitely 'fresh' ST's not well mended kelts.

With all the talk of hooks mine were all tied on Tiemco 103BL's, great hooks IMO.

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #125 on: 02/04/2012 at 20:30 »
Fishing the brilliant Klink and Dink again today, using some home tied PTN's.

Lost every one of the eleven fish I hooked today!  :cry  :cry Half a dozen tiddlers, three of around 3/4 lbs and then a nice Sea-Trout  :cry :cry

I'm still trying to forgive my self for losing a decent Brownie of around 2.5 lbs  :mad :mad the fish was immense, had a few leaps and a couple of strong runs before finally tiring. Had him within inches of the net then all hell broke loose and it busted me off  :cry :cry

I need help!

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #126 on: 02/04/2012 at 21:58 »
Sounds like an entertaining days fishing though liam. :z16
I was out for few hours this evening, terrible weather, soaked to the skin and hooked then lost 2 brownies that would have been a new personal best in weight, both 2.5-3lbs (anything over a pound would beat last seasons best :X1) both hooked on black and silver spiders.
Pretty gutted but an encouraging start to the season. :z7

Liam Stephen

« Reply #127 on: 02/04/2012 at 22:16 »
Dan

Sure was just very very very frustrating!  :mad

Were you fishing Kintore?

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #128 on: 02/04/2012 at 22:29 »
No was fishing lower parkhill, will have to have a go further up river this week. Only fished from from upper parkhill downwards before so looking forward to having a go further up river.

Dan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #129 on: 03/04/2012 at 02:03 »
Aww come on its white outside!  :shock Where the hell did that come from? Typical Scottish weather, no better way to mess up the start of the new season  :cry

Liam

Graham Nicol

« Reply #130 on: 03/04/2012 at 08:20 »
http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/scotland/Don/Strathdon/
Looks pretty and typical conditions when you get a hatch of march browns!

Hamish Young

« Reply #131 on: 03/04/2012 at 08:37 »
On the upside chaps, if the snowy shit stays on the tops for a while at least there'll be some water in the river for a bit.
Now that has to be a good thing.

H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #132 on: 03/04/2012 at 09:42 »
I am looking out my kitchen window at around 6-7 inches of snow. I cant get down my track to the road as there is a couple of foot that has drifted against the dyke. I cannot believe I am snowed in in April! This time last week my car outside temp guage was sitting at 27 here at the house and 24 down in Aboyne.

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #133 on: 03/04/2012 at 10:22 »
I also braved the cold/wet weather yesterday. Was really suprised to see fish rising and taking flies off the surface.  I wouldn't normally handle and photo the fish below but as he was my first of the season i thought a wee photo was in order! Lower parkhill on a size 14 f'fly. Had a great day...if not a bit cold after a few hours!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #134 on: 03/04/2012 at 10:53 »
Excellent stuff ..... great photos Tosh :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com