Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #60 on: 04/03/2012 at 16:14 »
Sandy,

3.9 in/sec 7' versileader with 1 1/4" Cu slipstream tube.

Been all over the place with fly weights and leader densities lately.

As for water temperature, I did buy a thermometer a couple of seasons ago but leave it in the car now so I don't know.

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #61 on: 04/03/2012 at 19:45 »
So here is a question from a novice, to get my fly deeper i have been using a larger tube (copper/brass 1.5") on a floating versileader set up with 12-14ft of tapered leader. It has been getting down quite deep but was wondering, would it be better for me to use a slow sink or intermediate versileader with a lighter fly?

Would this give me more control of the depth?

Cheers,

Dan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #62 on: 04/03/2012 at 21:07 »
In a nutshell . Yes :z16

Lighter flies swim better, so by using sinking leaders you get the depth and present the fly better :z16

Sandy

danbruce

« Reply #63 on: 04/03/2012 at 21:16 »
Cheers Sandy,

Good to know, although now I think about it I should have known.
Guess my flees have been just sinking and not swimming much.

Cheers,

Dan

Billy

« Reply #64 on: 05/03/2012 at 22:40 »
Hi Guys

Just thought i would share the pic of my very first salmon caught at Kintore this afternoon after some helpfull tips from a fellow angler on the river bank, after 3 days of getting tangled up with the spey cast ive finally managed to get the fly out (some times) but still the odd tangle this was the result..

Iain Goolager

« Reply #65 on: 05/03/2012 at 23:30 »
Hi Billy,
Firstly, I'll bet it was nice to feel your first ever Salmon on the fly rod.

Little bit of advice, I always try to look for a wet reedy area to 'beach' a fish that has to be returned, it seems to be subdued there and unhooking and photographing is easily done.

Keep at it, although the next better not be a springer  :X2    :grin

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #66 on: 06/03/2012 at 06:27 »
Well done Billy,

Great to see other people getting fish, just need to get one myself now. :z4

Cheers,

Dan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #67 on: 06/03/2012 at 10:21 »
In a nutshell . Yes :z16

Lighter flies swim better, so by using sinking leaders you get the depth and present the fly better :z16

Sandy

I'm not sure I agree with that Sandy, bit too much of a generalisation.  A light fly will move more in the water but there are times like right now where you may not want the fly moving about too much.  A lot of people use a weighted fly to get down on a floating line, this will give a slow moving fly fairly high in the column.
For me, the weight of the fly is about speed of swing and presence in the water more than it is about depth.  In a cold water I want a heavy fly, in a big water I want a heavy fly, in these situations a light fly will often not cut it even on a fast tip as it swims too quick.  Obviously if fishing in very low cold water then the fly would be lighter as a certain flow is required to make a fly of a certain weight swim.

Does that make any sense?

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #68 on: 06/03/2012 at 10:22 »
Still waiting!

Iain

Love the fact that the lense distorts the rod so it looks like it is bending right through to the handle :)

Billy

« Reply #69 on: 06/03/2012 at 14:33 »
Hi Billy,
Firstly, I'll bet it was nice to feel your first ever Salmon on the fly rod.

Little bit of advice, I always try to look for a wet reedy area to 'beach' a fish that has to be returned, it seems to be subdued there and unhooking and photographing is easily done.

Keep at it, although the next better not be a springer  :X2    :grin

Iain

Hi Iain,
I was a great feeling to catch my first Salmon, Thanks for the advise i will look for a better spot when i catch my first springer  :z4

Billy
Hi Iain

It was a great feeling to catch and land my first Salmon. Thanks for the advice i will try and get a better spot when i land my first springer :z4

Billy

Billy

« Reply #70 on: 06/03/2012 at 14:38 »
Well done Billy,

Great to see other people getting fish, just need to get one myself now. :z4

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers Dan,

Iain Goolager

« Reply #71 on: 06/03/2012 at 16:19 »
Hi Iain,
I was a great feeling to catch my first Salmon, Thanks for the advise i will look for a better spot when i catch my first springer 

Billy
Hi Iain

It was a great feeling to catch and land my first Salmon. Thanks for the advice i will try and get a better spot when i land my first springer

Billy

Good Stuff Billy.  :z16

Iain

Good Stuff Billy.  :z16

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #72 on: 06/03/2012 at 19:49 »
bit too much of a generalisation.

Fair comment :z14 And your wee speel made me think, i hadn't really considered the speed as regards weight, but i guess it is obvious as well :X1 i was a bit hung up on materials for speed, ie faster water stiffer fibres and so on and the overall density of the fly, although i had figured this might have more to do with the clarity of the water. :z8
All the fun of tying the flies

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #73 on: 07/03/2012 at 08:33 »
Fair comment :z14 And your wee speel made me think, i hadn't really considered the speed as regards weight, but i guess it is obvious as well :X1 i was a bit hung up on materials for speed, ie faster water stiffer fibres and so on and the overall density of the fly, although i had figured this might have more to do with the clarity of the water. :z8
All the fun of tying the flies

Sandy

You guys think too much! Its simple. Big float deep, fast water, little float shallow water...the prawn on the end holds it in place ;)

Matt Henderson

« Reply #74 on: 09/03/2012 at 20:11 »
Any joy today Iain?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com