Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #300 on: May 02, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »
Forecast at end of week is not great again so don't hold your breath ! Looks like May is continuing where April left off, becoming a bit of a bore really.

Golf anyone ? !

Lindsay

Phil

« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2012, 22:21:50 PM »
I fished the Don today after work, was surpriesed how clear the water was, still a bit high but clear...  :z16 a few upwing flies were showing, but nothing rising... it was late as well when I arrived. So I fished with a streamer and caugth a tinny brownie...  I have seen a baby pike too! maybe 10cm...   ??? probably drifted down with the flood... but are there any lochs upstream that hold pike? or is there a pike population in the Don?

I hope it wont rain anymore, might finally be good weekend to fish... the last weeks have been so frustrating...

Tight lines,
Phil

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #302 on: May 03, 2012, 06:11:33 AM »
Hi Phil

The don has always had a population of pike and perch, not seen any for a good while so it's nice to know they are still around. I've had pike up to nearly double figures when spinning in certain pools. I think most people don't fish in the pikey spots as they are fishing for salmon so tend not to notice, but they are there if you look for them :z16

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Phil

« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Hi Sandy,

thanks for the info! Might try some of my pike streamer then one day  :z4

Phil

Liam Stephen

« Reply #304 on: May 03, 2012, 16:59:45 PM »
Guys  :z16

Was down my home stretch of the Don today. Arrived at 12.30pm and was greeted by a mass of fly (MB's LDO's BWO's and some Sedgey looking thing... Grannom??) and a handful of 1/2-3/4lbers, a promising start :grin. On went my trusty two flees, out they went and bang! A 3/4lber struck the Klink but it was spat out shortly after  :z10 this was the how rest of the day went... On :z14 then off  :X1. I hooked a good 14-15 Brownies today and only one came to the net  :z8

Ah well theres always another day  :z16

Was anyone else out today with any joy?

Liam
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 17:21:19 PM by TheYoungGun »
Still searching for that  more Monstrous  Don Brownie!

danbruce

« Reply #305 on: May 03, 2012, 17:25:33 PM »
Not out fishing today but did have a walk along the Cruives beat on the Don, didn't see any fish but did see a big seal swimming down through Snuffies and Benzies.

Would this mean that it would have been chasing some fresh fish up from the mouth of the river? :z8

Noel kelly

« Reply #306 on: May 03, 2012, 21:10:50 PM »
Guys  :z16

Was down my home stretch of the Don today. Arrived at 12.30pm and was greeted by a mass of fly (MB's LDO's BWO's and some Sedgey looking thing... Grannom??) and a handful of 1/2-3/4lbers, a promising start :grin. On went my trusty two flees, out they went and bang! A 3/4lber struck the Klink but it was spat out shortly after  :z10 this was the how rest of the day went... On :z14 then off  :X1. I hooked a good 14-15 Brownies today and only one came to the net  :z8

Ah well theres always another day  :z16

Was anyone else out today with any joy?

Liam

Hooking that many is a good day by any account. Loosing so many though is a bit odd and must be very annoying! I wonder why this is happening? Are you hooking them mainly on one of the offerings?
Would have been a good evening to be on the river... Couldn't make it which I'm peed of about as there is more shite weather on the way tomorrow.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #307 on: May 03, 2012, 21:22:46 PM »
Perhaps I'm striking too early or something  :z8 or maybe they were just taking the piss today  :z7

Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #308 on: May 03, 2012, 21:24:17 PM »
or maybe they were just taking the piss today  :z7

Yep :z16
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Jazzaman1234

« Reply #309 on: May 03, 2012, 21:36:14 PM »
Hi

Was on the urie tonight up old meldrum road it was rubbish

Not a bite. Water was looking great too.

Cheers

Jazza

Loxiafan

« Reply #310 on: May 03, 2012, 23:22:14 PM »
Were they hitting the Klink rather than Dink Liam ? If the Klink, do you tie the nymph on NZ style ( tied on hook shank of Klink) ? Some guys reckon this can affect hooks ups as the trailing nylon may impede a solid hook set - I can't comment as I don't really use this method much and when I have it is usually the nymph that does the biz.

I had a day at Parkill last May where down literally every riffle or crease that I prospected with a size 16 Klink a fish slashed at it - must have been similar to you today. Had a couple on briefly then straight off. I reckon most were tail splashing the Klink (to drown it) and I was striking in to thin air ! Went home dejected and not a fan of 'big' Klinks ( as Ollie recommeded). Now I much prefer a smaller DHE and they hit this like a Polaris, no pussyfooting - take forceps !

The 'vets' may have better advice  :wink Better to be rising an missing 'em rather than not rising them at all !

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #311 on: May 03, 2012, 23:30:23 PM »
Lindsay

I fish with fancy Klinks by Fulling Mill- SR Klinks they call them  :cool:. So that eliminates the problem (or it is supposed to)  :z8. I was losing them to both dry and nymph  :X1 Yes sounds familiar, the splashing was defo happening today. It's not the 1st time I have hooked loads and lost all but one. I've heard good things about the DHE and am waiting on a fly order containing a few   :z16

Yup at least the trout were showing.

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #312 on: May 03, 2012, 23:39:52 PM »
I fish with fancy Klinks by Fulling Mill- SR Klinks they call them  :cool:.

Are they the 'hi-tech' ones with a little mono loop at the bum end, or a metal loop on the hook ? If so I reckon they'd be excellent, so not the mono problem I alluded to.

Have you tried an Oppo - Fulling Mill do them. A sort of Klink/Paradun hybrid but doesn't hang down as much. You have to either bend the hook with pliers or use a scud type hook. I bend the hook  :roll

Re the DHE - get some hares fur from the back (not mask !) and some coastal deer hair and tie a few up ? Even a monkey like me can do a decent job  :z7

Cheers,

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #313 on: May 03, 2012, 23:49:31 PM »
...looks like a Roman Moser 1mm micro ring tied on to hook with mono ? Might just have to try that !

L

Liam Stephen

« Reply #314 on: May 03, 2012, 23:54:38 PM »
That's the ones!  :grin I think they're great. Never tried the Oppo but have seen them and they also look very nice. I tried tying a few but couldn't get the deer hair to sit properly, think I'll put the tying stuff away till close season- I was getting frustrated with it  :oops

Liam

Moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum