Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Noel kelly

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2012, 18:16:43 PM »
Right fellas I'm away to brave these balmy temps and try land a big broon. I'll report back later :z16

Wish me luck.

Liam

Come on then we are waiting!

Loxiafan

« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2012, 18:32:42 PM »
Rob, Noel you are in good company - I blanked yesterday too ! I did insist on fishing the dry/emerger so possibly my own fault given the poor conditions - there were a few fish rising very sporadically but not enough to cover them with any kind of presentation in that wind. Took a gush over my waders, caught a bush and the pawl on my Streamlite reel gave out so went home dejected.

Today, however, was different matter ! Loads of fish rising when I arrived at Parkhill with many LDO's on the surface and on went size 17 JT Olive. Rose a fish right away and missed it. Hooked one, on briefly and then off. Arggggggh ! Then a Sea Trout at 1.5 lbs landed, another Sea Trout 'jumper' of the same size released himself at my feet in some weeds. Best fish, again on JT Olive, was a 2 plus lb Sea Trout and whilst she was stripping line from the reel the brand new pawl I put on the Streamlite last night gave up ! Somehow managed to palm the rim smoothly enough and wind in on a slack clutch to finally land her, cracking fish bright silver so very fresh.

So, 3 Sea Trout of which two landed and all on dry fly. That is more like it ! Off to Orvis Banchory tomorrow if snow stays off as I am thinking of retiring the unreliable Streamlite (lasted a season  :shock) for an Access Mid Arbor II, see what Ben says.

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2012, 19:25:56 PM »
Whats with all these sea-trout :z8

I'm wondering if the broonies have all been off on their hols in this nice weather and come back without a tan :z14

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Noel kelly

« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2012, 19:42:47 PM »
Sea trout....I want.

Loxiafan

« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2012, 19:49:30 PM »
Whats with all these sea-trout :z8

Maybe they think it is May what with all the high temps we have had over the last 2-3 weeks ? The ones I landed were definitely 'fresh' ST's not well mended kelts.

With all the talk of hooks mine were all tied on Tiemco 103BL's, great hooks IMO.

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2012, 20:30:01 PM »
Fishing the brilliant Klink and Dink again today, using some home tied PTN's.

Lost every one of the eleven fish I hooked today!  :cry  :cry Half a dozen tiddlers, three of around 3/4 lbs and then a nice Sea-Trout  :cry :cry

I'm still trying to forgive my self for losing a decent Brownie of around 2.5 lbs  :mad :mad the fish was immense, had a few leaps and a couple of strong runs before finally tiring. Had him within inches of the net then all hell broke loose and it busted me off  :cry :cry

I need help!

Liam
Still searching for that  more Monstrous  Don Brownie!

danbruce

« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2012, 21:58:32 PM »
Sounds like an entertaining days fishing though liam. :z16
I was out for few hours this evening, terrible weather, soaked to the skin and hooked then lost 2 brownies that would have been a new personal best in weight, both 2.5-3lbs (anything over a pound would beat last seasons best :X1) both hooked on black and silver spiders.
Pretty gutted but an encouraging start to the season. :z7

Liam Stephen

« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2012, 22:16:59 PM »
Dan

Sure was just very very very frustrating!  :mad

Were you fishing Kintore?

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2012, 22:29:36 PM »
No was fishing lower parkhill, will have to have a go further up river this week. Only fished from from upper parkhill downwards before so looking forward to having a go further up river.

Dan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2012, 02:03:33 AM »
Aww come on its white outside!  :shock Where the hell did that come from? Typical Scottish weather, no better way to mess up the start of the new season  :cry

Liam

Graham Nicol

« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »
http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/scotland/Don/Strathdon/
Looks pretty and typical conditions when you get a hatch of march browns!

Hamish Young

« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
On the upside chaps, if the snowy shit stays on the tops for a while at least there'll be some water in the river for a bit.
Now that has to be a good thing.

H :z3
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »
I am looking out my kitchen window at around 6-7 inches of snow. I cant get down my track to the road as there is a couple of foot that has drifted against the dyke. I cannot believe I am snowed in in April! This time last week my car outside temp guage was sitting at 27 here at the house and 24 down in Aboyne.
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
I also braved the cold/wet weather yesterday. Was really suprised to see fish rising and taking flies off the surface.  I wouldn't normally handle and photo the fish below but as he was my first of the season i thought a wee photo was in order! Lower parkhill on a size 14 f'fly. Had a great day...if not a bit cold after a few hours!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »
Excellent stuff ..... great photos Tosh :z16

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Forum moderators - Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum