Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Aviemore mid April
« on: 14/02/2012 at 09:10 »
This trip is cancelled :oops I will leave the op here though as there is a lot of usefull info for anyone else who may need it.
Thanks all :z16

Friends are renting a property in Aviemore for a week in mid April. The main event will be liver punishment but I will definetly have plenty free time for fishing :grin
Any suggestions?
Trout on running water would be my first choice so any suggestions of rivers, beats and contacts for tickets would be very welcome.
Will bring a float tube as well so any inside info to lochs with a reputation for bigger trout will also be great.
Cheers
Noel

Rob Brownfield

Re: Aviemore mid April
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2012 at 11:46 »
Pike on the fly...perhaps the best time to try it over there.

Jan Keur

« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2012 at 11:57 »
Rob!
Is Pike fishing in the UK alowed in april??
In Holland it is closed season for all predetorial fish in april may, and for pike specificly, june as a extended extra month!

TL

Jan

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2012 at 12:10 »
Friends are renting a property in Aviemore for a week in mid April. The main event will be liver punishment but I will definetly have plenty free time for fishing :grin
Any suggestions?
Trout on running water would be my first choice so any suggestions of rivers, beats and contacts for tickets would be very welcome.
Will bring a float tube as well so any inside info to lochs with a reputation for bigger trout will also be great.
Cheers
Noel

Noel
Rothiemurchus estate who have a trout farm and fishery on the outskirts of aviemore, have river fishing for Salmon /Trout, Pike fishing and traditional Loch fishing for Browns
http://www.rothiemurchus-activities.co.uk/Activity_detail.aspx

:z18

Jim

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2012 at 12:28 »
Noel

Loch Morlich has a reputation for very big pike, I'd imagine it holds trout too  :z8 there are a few streams/rivers which flow out of it which hold trout anyways. If all else fails Rothiemarcus fishery has or did have a streamy section that is supposed to replicate river fishing not sure if it was browns or bows though?

Rothiemarcus estate as Jedi says will probs be the best place to get info from  :z16

Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 14/02/2012 at 12:51 »
Rob!
Is Pike fishing in the UK alowed in april??
In Holland it is closed season for all predetorial fish in april may, and for pike specificly, june as a extended extra month!

TL

Jan

Jan,
Unfortunately there is no close season for Pike in the UK. However, there is a close season for rivers in England, March the 14th through to June the 16th, and therefore Pike are not fishable.

There has been a lot of debate about Pike and fishing for them pre-post spawn (March/April up here) but so far nothing has been done about it. Having said that, I think a lone fly fisher using barbless hooks does very little stress to a big female this time of year compared to a bait/lure angler with two sets of trebles and the inevitable weighing, measureing, photographing and the likes.

Up here Pike fishing in summer is discouraged rather than illegal and most Pikers do not start pike fishing until October.

Loxiafan

« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2012 at 13:08 »
There was a write up for the River Spey in TS from Feb or March last year, for the area you will be staying, and at the same time of year. The writer had some decent brown trout on the dry fly as I recall. Might be Grantown on Spey AA that did the tickets and you could buy from Post Office or Garage - price was more than reasonable. Not sure if they stock or if all fish are wild.

River Truim just down the road ?

Hope this helps,

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 14/02/2012 at 18:16 »
Thanks guys plenty to look at there.  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #8 on: 14/02/2012 at 21:43 »
Noel,
Avielochan on the road to Boat of Garten used to have a good head of Brownies, small but pretty.

You're also not that far from "a loch in the Inverness area" that H and I fished last year, and it's not far to Inverness for the ticket.

Happy hunting!

:z1

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 14/02/2012 at 22:13 »
Guys.... embarrassingly there has apparently been a mess up with the booking and now the whole thing is off. :oops sorry guys and thanks for all the replys and pm's. Problem is I really want to go now :z6
I will edit the op.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #10 on: 14/02/2012 at 22:54 »
Noel,

You could always just pop up for the day. Its not too far, a couple of hours there and a couple back. The fishing is well worth it. If you fancied a few days away there is a cheap Motel- High Range something or other (check it out) Ace Italian next door and Rothiemarcus Fishery and the Spey just out the door. Loch Morlich is a wee drive 4-5 miles away and theres plenty more places to fish within a hours drive. I'm going up in July can't wait  :z16

Hope this helps.
Liam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 15/02/2012 at 08:28 »
I often stay in the youth hostel, despite not being a youth any more :) Cheap and central.

There is also Loch Pitouylish (sp?) which is a stocked loch, boat only. I fish that for Pike too but there are Bows and Brownies in it.

outspan001

« Reply #12 on: 18/02/2012 at 18:16 »
Hi there,

If you are willing to drive just up the road to Kingussie and Newtonmore, i would try Badenoch angling association, i get a season permit from them on the spey, and they do day tickets for £10. They are sold at Service sports in Kingussie.

The Spey length is great fun( 16 miles ), i fished it Mid April last year and had a bucket loadout of trout. Permit also covers, Loch Laggan, Spey Dam ( you can get keys and get a boat out on there), Loch Etrich, River Truim, and the Calder. They also do weekly tickets.

try above the bridge at Netwonmore there are some great spots up there. Also if you park at Laggan by the Church and walk downstream, i was getting 10 fish in 2 hours from 7in to 16in in size lots of fun.

Black spiders, goldhead nymphs and partridge and orange served me well last season.

Also if you feel like it, there should still be a few Kelts knocking around if you want to chance your arm

Cheers

Mark

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com