Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Salmon Fishing Quandry
« on: 13/02/2012 at 12:32 »
All,

Right one was Salmon fishing on Saturday.  River was fairly high and I was fishing an intermediate shooting head, fast sink polyleader, and an 1-1/2" copper tube.  I was wondering on how to get the fly deeper? Cast square so that by the time it comes round it's dropped in the water column a bit.  However we were discussing this at lunchtime and wondered if actually casting square across makes the fly travel faster hence drop less?  Any theories out there?  Also when fishing a monkey/sunray shadow in this cold weather would you strip it back or not?  Are fish really less agresive in the cold water or if they are in the taking mood will they still snap at a passing fly even if it is at speed?

Cheers

Matt   :z15

Hamish Young

Re: Salmon Fishing Quandry
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2012 at 18:21 »
A number of big mends in the line will help when combined with a 'more than square' cast to get the fly fishing a bit deeper.
Generally, in my experience, fish are 'quieter' in cold water. That said a stripped sunray may yield a take - water temperature regardless - but I'd have to say the vast majority of my early season fish have been taken on the 'dangle'.
It's worth ringing the changes when fishing a pool, particularly if there's been other folk on the water.
Try something different :wink

H :z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2012 at 19:48 »
Sorry Hamish I'm a bit dense, up stream mends?

Also typically with a sunray/monkey exactly how big in cold water? I probably had a 4" wing with a 1 and a half inch copper tube. Probably needed a heavier tube to compensate for the fact I was stripping it back.

In other news having a sore back appears to sort out my desire to smash every cast into Norway.

Matt

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2012 at 20:22 »
 Hi Mdh try rolling some slack line back up stream, do this without lifting off the line , it will take the way off the line and let your tube sink a bit, also holds the tube in position for longer, its easier to watch some one do this than to explain,
easgach1

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2012 at 22:27 »
And your river report is where Matt?   :z8

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 14/02/2012 at 00:06 »

Iain

Same place as ours from last week Iain  :z4

Must get those pics uploaded this week.

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2012 at 00:12 »
Sorry Hamish I'm a bit dense, up stream mends?

OK, it is a trout link and not a brilliant quality video but I came across it first and the principal involved should be clear enough.

Also typically with a sunray/monkey exactly how big in cold water? I probably had a 4" wing with a 1 and a half inch copper tube. Probably needed a heavier tube to compensate for the fact I was stripping it back.

Sounds fine. If you really want to go heavier, get some tungsten tubes. Awesome  :cool:

H :z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 14/02/2012 at 07:29 »
Morning all,

Iain

I fished Little Blackhall and Inchmarlo on Saturday.  Cracking conditions.  Water was gin clear and about a foot and a bit over the gauge.  Arrived bacon sandwich and a cup of coffee.  I was heading to the Roe Pot which is probably the most prolific pool on the beat.  The flow runs down the far bank but there are a series of croys/groins that you can cast from to give you a fighting chance of getting your fly in the right place.  Second croy down hooked a fish, had it on for about ten minutes and I thought I was doing a good job of slowly bullying iy in but after a splashy episode in at the side it was gone.  I swore loudly and sulked the rest of the day.   :mad :z8

The other highlights of the day featured almost falling in whilst fishing the Roe Pot from the opposite bank and getting a pull off a fish coming down the Seat pool but that was it.  One of the other rods had a 14lb springer just before lunch and there was one kelt in the afternoon.  No photos because I forgot my camera. 

OK, it is a trout link and not a brilliant quality video but I came across it first and the principal involved should be clear

I'll have a look at that later on Hamish.  Thanks.

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com