Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sspecial

Sutherland Special Update
« on: 09/02/2012 at 15:29 »
Hello All,

Having just read the notes in a previous discussion on the Sutherland Special, I wanted to add some information.
The Sutherland Special was indeed invented by my uncle Ronnie Sutherland but the patent was applied for and held jointly between Ronnie and my father George Sutherland. The production, up to the time of my father's death in 1982 was always done by the two of them with  the main production area being a garage at the back of my family house!
As a youngster I was fascinated by the process and spent many hours assisting in the production - which was entirely done "ïn-house" -  from the beginning, as as a lump of scrap alloy, to the finished product. Each and every lure was tested in a rushing stream in the river at Dinnet to ensure that the bait swam on an even keel. Adjustments were made by filing the spade at the front of the lure.
The plastic tube container came about due to a friendship with a gent who travelled as a salesman for Squibb pharmaceuticals and the containers were originally designed as pill boxes!
Ronnie was a brilliant engineer and he designed and built all the machines necessary for the production.
One of the most finnicky tasks was putting the eye on the lure. A black paint dot was placed on each eye with a small piece of dowel and a second white spot was placed on that when dry.
The lure enjoyed great success on the Ythan and on The Don where my father and uncle enjoyed the Grandholm beat for many years - as did I.
If anyone is interested in the details of the production, I would be happy to supply (Limited) technical information.
I now live in Bermuda and my fishing choices have changed somewhat with Tuna, Wahoo and Marlin taking the place of sea trout and salmon.
Yes, I have tried the Special as a salt water lure. It is great for mackerel but not as effective for other species.

Keep up the good work in the forum.

George Sutherland Bermuda February 2012

Rob Brownfield

Re: Sutherland Special Update
« Reply #1 on: 09/02/2012 at 15:38 »
Thank you for that update. Extremely interesting!

I guess the SS brought in plenty of money if you could move to Bemuda :)

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 09/02/2012 at 18:38 »
Hello All,

Having just read the notes in a previous discussion on the Sutherland Special, I wanted to add some information.
The Sutherland Special was indeed invented by my uncle Ronnie Sutherland but the patent was applied for and held jointly between Ronnie and my father George Sutherland. The production, up to the time of my father's death in 1982 was always done by the two of them with  the main production area being a garage at the back of my family house!
As a youngster I was fascinated by the process and spent many hours assisting in the production - which was entirely done "ïn-house" -  from the beginning, as as a lump of scrap alloy, to the finished product. Each and every lure was tested in a rushing stream in the river at Dinnet to ensure that the bait swam on an even keel. Adjustments were made by filing the spade at the front of the lure.
The plastic tube container came about due to a friendship with a gent who travelled as a salesman for Squibb pharmaceuticals and the containers were originally designed as pill boxes!
Ronnie was a brilliant engineer and he designed and built all the machines necessary for the production.
One of the most finnicky tasks was putting the eye on the lure. A black paint dot was placed on each eye with a small piece of dowel and a second white spot was placed on that when dry.
The lure enjoyed great success on the Ythan and on The Don where my father and uncle enjoyed the Grandholm beat for many years - as did I.
If anyone is interested in the details of the production, I would be happy to supply (Limited) technical information.
I now live in Bermuda and my fishing choices have changed somewhat with Tuna, Wahoo and Marlin taking the place of sea trout and salmon.
Yes, I have tried the Special as a salt water lure. It is great for mackerel but not as effective for other species.

Keep up the good work in the forum.

George Sutherland Bermuda February 2012

Hi George,

Just out of curiousity did your father and uncle fish the Sspecial as it was sold to the public, or was there infact any additional materials added to the lure that wasn't shared with the masses?

I seem to recall having 2 lures as a kid which came via my father directly from Ronnie and they were certainly different to those sold.  They have long since disappeared but IIRC there were feathers of some description whipped onto them.

:z18

Steven

Sspecial

« Reply #3 on: 09/02/2012 at 19:34 »
Hello Steven,

The Sutherland brothers used to fish with several variations of the Special.  They used to glue feathers down the top sides of the lure and use these in certain conditions. They also made a "Lightweight" version and a jointed plug, based on the design.The commercially available models were blue and silver and brown and gold.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 09/02/2012 at 22:25 »
Hi George
Welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com