Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

amico1582

Fly-fishing for beginners
« on: 07/02/2012 at 10:30 »
What equipment do I need to be considering, when starting to fly-fish?

Mike Barrio

Re: Fly-fishing for beginners
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2012 at 10:56 »
Hi "amico1582"
Welcome to the forum :z16

Difficult question to answer without knowing more about you. Where are you, where are you hoping to fish, are you most likely to fish on small rivers, big rivers, lochs?

Best wishes
Mike

amico1582

« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2012 at 12:21 »
Thanks for helping, I'm live in Plymouth and looking to fish up and down the river tamar, I'm just looking for a starter kit really, something to get me started I found this fly fishing starter kit http://www.arundellarmsshop.co.uk/complete-river-outfit.html but not sure if it has everything i'm looking for what do you think?

billirvine5

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2012 at 12:34 »
Hi
If you are just starting to fly fish why don't you go for an Airflow complete kit they are various kits and they are only £60.00

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2012 at 13:12 »
The Airflo kits look great. I was looking into buying one last year. However... If you feel like splashing more cash £150, then Orvis do an excellent starter kit  :z16

Liam

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2012 at 17:59 »
What equipment do I need to be considering, when starting to fly-fish?

Not really equipment but I'd urge you to consider instruction first.
Honestly..... never mind spending money on gear. Instead spend some cash on getting some casting lessons from a quality instructor from a well recognised organisation such as AAPGAI http://www.aapgai.com/map_instructors/script/find_aapgai.html
Your instructor will help you with practical advice on a balanced outfit suited to your needs.
My two cents.

H :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 08/02/2012 at 18:52 »
If Tim Smith is still at The Arundell Arms, go have a chat to him.  Tim will keep you right.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com