Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Livingstone

River nymphing and floats
« on: 22/09/2006 at 20:57 »
Just been reading a couple of books from good ole US of A on nymph fishing and they are BIG advocates of using indicators (bubble floats).  I struggle a bit with upstream nymph fishing and can see the plus sides of this but there are 2 things holding me back 1- Is it fly fishing? and 2- How does it fit with the River Don law of no fishing with a float?

I feel that I need to learn to fish nymphs properly and am really struggling just now to make it work for me.  Anyone out there help me out?

Jim Eddie

Float Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 23/09/2006 at 08:18 »
Mike

Have you thought of trying a "New Zealand style dropper" where a bushy dry is used as an indicator with the point flie being tied from the bend of the dry fly hook.

:z18  

Jim

Mike Livingstone

NZ style
« Reply #2 on: 23/09/2006 at 18:14 »
Jim,

I use the NZ style set up quite a bit and find it great fun as you get a lot of slashes at the dry fly.  I was really thinking of heavier and deeperfished nymphs.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2006 at 00:10 »
I really believe that its what you as the angler make of the method that defines whether it is legit of not.

For example, following the american style and casting upstream into turbulent water where its impossible to see the end of the line is perfectly ok, no probs, but if you were then to go to a still water and cast out, lay the rod down (as I saw today at Inch when I popped in for some hooks) and letting the "flies" (orange blobs) fish themselves, well, I think we would all agree that that is just not fly fishing.

I think the definition of a float is a device used to help suspend the bait as well as add casting weight....so thats fly lines banned then  :lol:

I am pretty certain that if you were to use a small indicator then it would have to be a very rententive keeper who would complain.  :grin:

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 25/09/2006 at 07:46 »
'Tis the man not the method which is 'unsporting', or to use another well known cliche 'horses for courses' :grin:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 26/09/2006 at 19:15 »
Well said Peter.

Nothing wrong with indicators, just they way that some people use them.
You will find that a lot of the fish at loch insch and lochter come out with missing scissors. :!: Excessive enthusiasm striking :mad:
Done properly it can be quite subtle and very effective for people who maybe aren't quite used to the gentle movements of the fly line.
Daniel used them for a while but now he reckons he see the line movement first. Its just experience that makes a difference

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com