Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

The Magazines
« on: 18/01/2012 at 11:38 »
Hi folks :cool:

We've discussed the fishing magazines quite a bit over the years, the content, the adverts, the fly tying, the repetitive articles, the internet, etc. :z5

Just wondering where we are now ....... will you be buying / subscribing to any of the magazines in 2012?

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: The Magazines
« Reply #1 on: 18/01/2012 at 12:41 »
Unfortunately I spend a vast amount of money a month on magazines.

Even in the non trout and salmon ones there is nothing new. Everything is a repeat or a re hash, and normally already spoken about online months before the "exclusive new fly" is published in print....BUT....

....i like to read the printed word on paper and I like the photos etc...so I will continue to buy the 20 odd mags a month  :oops

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 18/01/2012 at 12:53 »
I only buy one once in a while if there is something of specific interest or, if I have a long non-driving journey.  Other than that, most (but not all) has been penned before.  The only mag I've picked up recently that has impressed me is Chasing Silver, three times the price of T&S, comes quarterly but has way more than three times the reading contained in three issues of T&S and far less in the way of adverts.  Stunning photography, makes me want to go fishing. 

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 18/01/2012 at 14:42 »
FF and FT and TandS for me. Despite recently taking a 'beating' on other fishing Forums and blogs I actually quite like Trout and Salmon ! I used to buy it in the 80's as a kid and always picked up some useful tips and found the location articles interesting, sometimes inspiring. There does appear to be a bit of a 'formula' - trout streams with Paul Procter ( which is always good, he should write a book), Irish Trout and Salmon fishing etc......but at least there is no "budgie" yanking for stocked Rainbows ala two other UK magazines !  :wink It must be good as I even read the Salmon articles  :shock

FF and FT always has something of interest IMO, but this one was 'new' to me coming back to fishing after my 'wilderness' years. Took out a sub for both as it works out about two pounds odd per issue including postage. I don't grudge that.

None of these replace 'classic' or well written books though, just a thought.

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2012 at 14:50 »
What about "Video Magazines"?

There is a carp fishing one available, same price as a mag and you get 60 minutes of footage.

Magazines are very limited in how they can get a message across. For example, why spend 4 pages explaining how to do a certain cast when a 2 minute slow mo video supported by technical diagrams would explain it so much better?

Product reviews are so much better in video format as are fly tying sessions.

We have this dilema at work. We produce safety e-learning in the format of images and text when most people, if they are looking online for how to do something, will go to YouTube and watch a video rather than read text and look at photos.

How about a quarterly Video Mag for local anglers? There is enough talent on this website to sort that! :)

adambrain

« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2012 at 15:45 »
What about "Video Magazines"?

There is a carp fishing one available, same price as a mag and you get 60 minutes of footage.

Have you got a link for this Rob? I'd like a look at that. ( Hate reading  :z5)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 18/01/2012 at 16:30 »
Its a DVD that you buy in the newsagents.

This clip is similer, but maybe not as well filmed.

http://youtu.be/j16Xf8eZplk

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 19/01/2012 at 12:00 »
We often see comments on the web about the internet taking over from the magazines, but I must confess that I still enjoy that tactile feel of having a magazine in my hands and turning the pages, especially a good one :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 19/01/2012 at 13:16 »
We often see comments on the web about the internet taking over from the magazines, but I must confess that I still enjoy that tactile feel of having a magazine in my hands and turning the pages, especially a good one :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Thats all well and good if you are still fit enough to reach the top shelf... ;)

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 19/01/2012 at 13:56 »
After years of buying FF&FT, Trout fisherman, Trout & Salmon, Fly Fisherman and pretty much anything else that was available a lightbulb started to get brighter in that dim cavity I call a brain  :z17
The articles that I was reading appeared yearly. For example, every September there would the "how to bash fry" articles,
every February the "spring salmon tactics" and every July the "how to beat the doldrums".
As the bulb got brighter I realised that it was costing me around £20 a month to re-read the same stuff annually. In fact I bought FF&FT on a recent trip to Orvis in Banchory and lo and behold there was an article on gluing a tapered leader to the inside of a fly line tip. This article was in one of the last FF&FTs that I bought around ten years ago and was written by Oliver Edwards. The author had changed but the article was the same. Now I know that chaps new to the sport need to know stuff like that but I couldn't help but wonder how many other times it had appeared.
So no, like Ben, I don't but them these days unless on a long journey. However I do REALLY like Catch Magazine online - lovely pictures, good articles.
If I need to find out more about tackle, well that's what you lot are for  :z16

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 20/01/2012 at 16:08 »
Chasing Silver is probably the best quality magazine that I have read in a long time and certainly worth the money :z16

http://www.chasingsilvermagazine.com/

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com