Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Dubbing Wax - Euan
« on: 17/01/2012 at 22:48 »
After telling you to go buy some tacky wax last week, I have changed my mind, for some things at least!!

I was using traditional wax only for thread bodies on spiders etc but have discovered tonight that Kev's formula solid wax is superb on angel hair bodies (which is a bitch to dub) and will probably be as good on seal.

Still like tubed tacky stuff for hare and soft naturals but this may change.

What does anyone else use?

CHeers

Ben

Euan Innes

Re: Dubbing Wax - Euan
« Reply #1 on: 18/01/2012 at 08:10 »
Oh well it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind... :z7

Haven't got round to trying the wax yet, but I do now have a selection of waxes so I'll try them all when I get to filling the boxes. I'll be starting this soon, which means I'll need a new box for salmon flies which probably means a trip to Banchory and more money. At least the tea is good  :z16

While we are on the subject of dubbing, have you tried the wool that I gave you yet?

:z1

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 18/01/2012 at 08:19 »

Still like tubed tacky stuff for hare and soft naturals but this may change.

What does anyone else use?

CHeers

Ben

Nothing.

Haven't used dubbing wax for years and I have yet to find a type of dubbing that I can't handle without it.

Keep practising :z12

Irvine

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 18/01/2012 at 08:46 »
Kev's stuff is good, the fact that you (he :grin) can get different levels of 'tackieness' is useful. That said I'm with Irvine I don't tend to use it for dubbing, it means you can't slide the dubbing about, but for sticking thread together to secure materials and whips its great :z16. Watch Paul  :z14 :z14 Little some time if you get the chance.......a wee touch here and there.....magic.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2012 at 09:37 »
Agree that you cannot slide with Kevs wax but for what I use it for that is what I want!  I can slide with the tacky wax from a tube.  I tend to lay out a noodle of dubbing that is about right before I apply to thread, find it faster with wax.

Cheers

Ben1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2012 at 23:44 »

While we are on the subject of dubbing, have you tried the wool that I gave you yet?

:z1

Not yet Euan, thanks though I will knock something up in time for the trout season starting.

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com