Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

Don, Cruives Beat.
« on: 14/01/2012 at 22:27 »
As this will be my first season as a member of the ADAA i have been looking into where i can go and what i can do.

I will be staying the bucksburn/dyce area during the beginning of the season and have fished the upper and lower Parkhill beats a few times last season and have enjoyed my fishing there.
But i notice that the Cruives beat is also very close to me, was wondering if this can be quite a productive beat early season for trout or Salmon?

Walked both banks of the beat this afternoon and do like the look of it and having spent alot of my childhood down there (not fishing) i enjoy being there. Only thing is as i am still a relative new comer to fly fishing i feel quite daunted by the size, speed and depth of the water?

Any experiences or info on this beat would be great.

Cheers :z18

Dan

Iain Goolager

Re: Don, Cruives Beat.
« Reply #1 on: 14/01/2012 at 22:38 »
Sorry Dan,

never ventured down there.

The AGM will be held soon and I'm sure they cover catch returns by beat, month and species there.

Best thing to do is get out there and give it your best.

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2012 at 22:48 »
Thanks Iain,

Will be good to get the my membership and out fishing, problem is with so much beats to cover guess i'm going to be a busy man. :grin :grin :grin

Dan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2012 at 22:55 »
I agree Dan,
I'd need to pack in my job if I were to familiarise myself with all the water available but that is a very good thing & nothing beats fishing and discovering a new stretch of water.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 14/01/2012 at 22:55 »
I think Cruives does produce a fair few fish in certain conditions.  PM Fisher on here, Bob could fill you in on the details I'm sure.

Cheers

Ben

danbruce

« Reply #5 on: 14/01/2012 at 22:58 »
Cheers Ben will drop him a message.

:z18

Dan

buntinbee

« Reply #6 on: 15/01/2012 at 21:38 »
If you look on the ADAA website there are actually beat summaries which include the Cruives beat.
Depending on the weather and water conditions this beat sometimes produces a few springers early on. The colder the weather, the more likely the springers are to stop this low down on the river. The main factor is of course whether we get springers in any numbers as the Don is a bit of a hit or a miss early on. There were quite a lot of early springers last year, but with the lack of grilse last year we may be in for a lean year for the multi sea winter fish this year. Hope springs eternal though.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com