Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Winston Spey Blanks
« on: 11/01/2012 at 13:52 »
Afternoon chaps,
Can someone more knowlegable than me please tell me what the Winston Spey blanks are like?

I believe they are an older blank, but still pretty "modern" in action. Been offered a 14 foot, 9/10 weight blank for sub 3 digits and as I am looking for a rod for the Don, thought this might be ideal.

Any opinions please?

Many thanks

Hamish Young

Re: Winston Spey Blanks
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2012 at 16:47 »
If it's a Vapor then they're a bit 'noodly' and really not all that great.
If it's a B11x then have it, much better than the Vapor but very through actioned when compared to most of it's contemporaries :wink Mind you, at that price, I'd be surprised if it were a 'B' series blank.
I have tried both only once and the mistake I made was picking up the B11x first.......
H :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 11/01/2012 at 23:00 »
I picked up a 14'er that was on the SH rack in Norris's a few years back and was surprised at how stiff it felt given that all the single Winston rods I'd seen to that point were quite soft.  I can't remember what it was or even what line it was for, I think it was a 9/10 but can't be sure.  Winston SPey blanks are available now but I think this is a recent development.  If you're looking for a cheap rod have a look for an old Daiwa, they come up fairly regular.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2012 at 00:09 »
Hamish,
No idea what one it is..but I doubt its a B11x as I was offered single handed trout B11x blanks for £125.

Ben,
Not after a cheap rod..I want something worth having and as the blank appeared from nowhere, it seemed it might be worth going for.  Looking at Guideline at the moment.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2012 at 00:24 »
How much is not cheap?

Not a Guideline fan at all really unless it is the Reaction series but they are big bucks.  Get a DTX Spey, will cope with anything, very versatile rods and the after sales is superb too.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2012 at 08:18 »
Ahhh, but how much is a DTX? I was working on the basis that I could build a Winston for sub £200.

outspan001

« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2012 at 10:56 »
Hi there,

If you are looking at guideline rods, i have a Le Cie and that is a great rod, i friend of mine also has a LPXe and they are a great rod also. I cast a DTX and prefered the Le Cie to that, but again that is personnel preference.

Cheers

Mark

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com