Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

Midmar + Question for Mr Barrio
« on: 10/01/2012 at 16:10 »
Does anyone know how Midmar fishery is going ?
Anyone been recently ?

Mike, when do you re-open ?

Cheers Adam

Mike Barrio

Re: Midmar + Question for Mr Barrio
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/2012 at 16:19 »
Hi Adam

I haven't got a specific date for opening the fishery, I am keeping a close eye on the brownies over the winter and will open when I think conditions are right for them. I expect this to be more or less at the beginning of March, but it may possibly be a little earlier than that depending on the weather etc.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 10/01/2012 at 18:04 »
Midmar
Fish with the wind in your face if its "warmish" and use small black buzzers close to the edge. Have had fish a couple of feet from the bank.

Been a few rising fish, they have been taking small black parachute style flies.

Have had some fun on surface pulled/dibbled Bibios and the like.

If its a cold wind, use an intermediate and pull back buzzers slowly.

Seems to work for me...

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2012 at 18:06 »
Midmar
Fish with the wind in your face if its "warmish" and use small black buzzers close to the edge. Have had fish a couple of feet from the bank.

Been a few rising fish, they have been taking small black parachute style flies.

Have had some fun on surface pulled/dibbled Bibios and the like.

If its a cold wind, use an intermediate and pull back buzzers slowly.

Seems to work for me...

Had a few guys in the shop who've fished recently and had a good enough day.  THink they were catching on lime green buzzers.

Cheers

Ben

adambrain

« Reply #4 on: 10/01/2012 at 18:46 »
Hi Adam

I haven't got a specific date for opening the fishery, I am keeping a close eye on the brownies over the winter and will open when I think conditions are right for them. I expect this to be more or less at the beginning of March, but it may possibly be a little earlier than that depending on the weather etc.

Best wishes
Mike

Excellent stuff Mike will see you then.

I havent fished Midmar for a good year or so. Will have to go give it a bash then.

Cheers Guys

Phil Slessor

« Reply #5 on: 11/01/2012 at 12:56 »
Any news on how loch inch is doing

Kev Danby

« Reply #6 on: 12/01/2012 at 09:17 »
I fished Loch Insch on Christmas Eve with mini me

I hooked em, he reeled em in, alas he has been watching John wilson dvd catch sharks on the skeleton coast so it took a while before he stopped pumping the rod.

He lasted an hour or so before he got cold. In that time we had seven fish I stayed on and had 17 in total all on black buzzers I could have had more but stopped after 3 hrs.

Apart from Loch insch alot of the water was still frozen but the weed has died down and the fish were in cracking condition (all around 2lb). I dont know if it was because of christmas eve but that day there was one other chap fishing so in effect we had the whole place to ourselves perhaps not good for business but made very pleasant fishing.

Still not convinced the stocking density is as high as it was but there are fish to be had just a bit more challenging to catch.

We used a 4wt 8ft6 fulling mill gold (a returning forum member might remember that rod) two #12 buzzers.

Phil Slessor

« Reply #7 on: 12/01/2012 at 12:38 »
thanks kevlard
will have to arrange a visit

thanks again

phil

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com