Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mike

Fly Tying books to buy ??
« on: 08/01/2012 at 00:31 »
Hi chaps,
I have just bought tying gear to start me off with my own home tied flies. Can anyone tell me if there are any books out there that you would recomend are simple to use with step by step pictorial pages to help me ?

cheers in advance ,

Mike G .

Hamish Young

Re: Fly Tying books to buy ??
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/2012 at 09:47 »
I still think the best book out there for a beginner is Basic Fly tying in pictures by Ted Andrews:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Fly-tying-Ted-Andrews/dp/0091498910/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326015907&sr=1-1
A wee bit dated perhaps, but it's still a damn good place to start off.

H :z3

mike

« Reply #2 on: 08/01/2012 at 15:03 »
Cheers Hamish ,
Thats the book ordered from Amazon along with The Fly Tyers Bible . A workmate of mine said this was a good book as well ... Bring on the bare hooks    :z18

danbruce

« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2012 at 18:07 »
Mike, can vouch for the fly tying bible, having started tying my own flies a few weeks i have found this to be great. Full of everything you'll need to get started and a good selection of patterns for you to try.

Also the step by steps on the forum here are great to have a browse through too.

Dan :z16

jpm75

« Reply #4 on: 08/01/2012 at 20:04 »
Yeah, Mike I would personally recommend the fly tying bible.  It was my first fly tying book. I look forward to seeing some of your flies when you get started..
Regards John.

mike

« Reply #5 on: 09/01/2012 at 01:03 »
I'm sure you'll get a laugh with some of the 1st efforts but given time i cant wait to catch a fishy with my own creation . :z15

bobinalong

« Reply #6 on: 09/01/2012 at 17:39 »
Good luck Mike. I to am new to the tying game, thank to the encouragement of members of this great forum.

This is my first attempt at both tying and photographing a fly. Made from a bare hook that I found, some baby wool, gold thread from a christmas tree chocolate and sewing thread. Great fun and looks good in the water ( yea OK murky water  :z4)

Post Christmas, I now have a selection of hooks, some materials (fantastic what comes off of present wrappings  :z14) and some threads, and have tied a few that I am quite proud to own  :z13. Davie McPhail on You Tube is responsible for most of them and is very addictive  :z14 :z14.

BTW Got one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120839377937?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_880wt_1295 from eBay, works well for me.  :z16  :z16

Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

:z18  :z18

Clive

mike

« Reply #7 on: 09/01/2012 at 22:58 »
cheers Clive,

You look like a very tidy fly tyer and you put me into the shade . Just ask my wife .... she finds threads and tying things all over the place and lets me know quite loudly !!!! The fly fisherman is a good web site with simple to follow videos of fly tying , worth a look .  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 11/01/2012 at 19:34 »
 I started with W E Davies Book Fly Tying And tackle making, Eric Taverner Tying Flies For trout, stewarts set of books, and Moc Morgans Fly tying patterns, I also keep a scrap book of patterns out of the magazines rather than clutter the place up with junk, easgach1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com