Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

jimmy r

jungle cock
« on: 03/01/2012 at 09:12 »
hi guys
im looking for good grade jungle cock any other tiers here know of a good supplier,
jimmy

Hamish Young

Re: jungle cock
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2012 at 09:58 »
I've moved your topic here Jimmy as fly tying seems a more suitable location on the forum.

As to purchasing JC, I have used ebay and local suppliers with mixed results.
Are you after more 'trout' sized JC or 'salmon' or just a really good cape :?

H :z3

jimmy r

« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2012 at 10:16 »
hi
it would be more for salmon flies as all the capes i have have plenty of the smaller trout size, i bought a cape a couple of weeks ago but all the feathers were split, was a wee bit disapointed as i have been using this supplier for a long time with all other materials he said it was the best he could do, was hoping some of the guys on the forum new of any other suppliers with good quality capes im not to bothered with the price,
jimmy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 03/01/2012 at 10:39 »
Hi Jimmy,

Call me tight but, I use a single split feather on most of my salmon flies.

I'm not sure where you are based but in the past I've had god JC from Glasgow Angling Centre (go there and have a look at it) Craftye Fisherman in Edinburgh and from Steve Cooper at Cookshill.  Ebay is also a god bet and most selling JC there put up a high resolution image of the actual cape you will get.

I used to be addicted to JC on salmon flies, now I put it on very few and catch no less fish. I'll put it on Stoats Tails, Silver Stoats and that's about it now as I've narrowed my patterns down to about 6 over the past three seasons and worry more about depth, size & speed, if they are right I'm not sure how much difference the overall pattern makes provided the colour is not too far out for water conditions.

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2012 at 10:40 »
Try Neil Anderson in forfar  his web address is

http://www.wellbanklochans.co.uk/

He usually has a few nice capes for not three much pennies

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2012 at 11:05 »
If you can be bothered, split feathers (if otherwise of good quality) can be repaired.
There's a couple of ways to do it and in the past I've used 'hard as nails' on the reverse of the feather, using the brush applicator to gently tease the split feather back together. Results can be good, but takes time and patience.... which very probably explains why I pretty much split feathers on all of my Salmon flies these days and save any top quality JC for flies that I might give to someone else or more plausibly save for a 'rainy day'.

The best JC cape I ever had was UK reared and came from the now (I believe) defunct Fishermans Feathers.
I think Walkers of Trowell took over the stock and shifted it via Tom Savilles but as I've not heard much about  Fishermans Feathers I suspect the company closed - Ben :? You know any more on that ???

:z3

jimmy r

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2012 at 11:54 »
thanks guys
will try these stores, i think jc seems just to finnish off a fly pattern maybe not all its only a personal opinion,will also split the feathers, i am from the speyside area,
jimmy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 03/01/2012 at 16:06 »
I hate to say it, but Somers in Aberdeen has some nice capes in stock last time I was in. About £55 if I remember..UK raised.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com