Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

experimental flies and photos
« on: 27/12/2011 at 11:56 »
Been playing at the vice this morning with a Rhyac pattern.
Also playing with the Macro

Photo 1 is less detailed but perhaps a better picture??????

Photo 2 is more detailed but i think it may detract from the picture??? :z8

Anyone have any opinions, i'm trying to work out just how detailed a picture needs to be, if you go too far then you start to see all the imperfections in the tying and become overly critical :z6
The pattern is a work in progress but is about 90% there i think, it should tumble nicely through the water and is plenty heavy with 3 tungsten beads up front :shock

All comments welcome :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: experimental flies and photos
« Reply #1 on: 27/12/2011 at 12:04 »
Plenty of detail in the top photo Sandy and slightly better focus :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 27/12/2011 at 12:08 »
Thats my thoughts too, the first image is taken at about 12" and has more of the fly in focus, whereas the second image was taken at about 3" and is better on the body and anything lying along the same plane, but it blurs the hackle and tail slightly.
My reaction was sometimes you can be too detailed at the expense of the whole image.
The lighting works a wee bit better in the second image, but i can get round that easy enough :wink

More practicing beckons methinks :z18

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 27/12/2011 at 12:25 »
This is about optimum, to my eyes anyway :z8

This done at about 11"  from subject with a bit of decent ambient light as well as the flash.
Should be ideal for doing the naturals as well :z16

Cool

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 27/12/2011 at 12:31 »
Yep, that's looking great :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 27/12/2011 at 17:19 »
Sandy,

I know flaxen all  about photography but could the blurring of the 'leg' fibres be a depth of field issue? I just tried tinkering with a spider, adjusting the f stops until the fibres all seemed relatively in focus?

don't know.

Fly looks good :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 27/12/2011 at 17:55 »
I know flaxen all  about photography but could the blurring of the 'leg' fibres be a depth of field issue? I just tried tinkering with a spider, adjusting the f stops until the fibres all seemed relatively in focus?

Exactly what it is my dear chap :z16, my new lens is a prime 60mm f2 non zoom, so as i move away from the image the depth of field improves, it is absolutely superb at very close quarters but as can be seen above the depth is blasted away in favour of detail :z6 finding the compromise for the subject is key :z16
the more i play the more i learn.
Now to get the lighting sorted and i should be happy :z7

sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 27/12/2011 at 18:07 »
lighting, don't talk to me about lighting, once I get this sorted I'll be a happy man.  :z10

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 29/12/2011 at 13:22 »
my new lens is a prime 60mm f2 non zoom

Very nice Sandy.  Santa brought me a DSLR and a days photography lesson.  One is suitably excited. 

How did you plump on 60mm over say 50mm out of interest?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 29/12/2011 at 14:43 »
Matt

A reason:  i spent ages looking at macro lenses from 50 to 105 depending on the manufacturer.
In the end i chose a Tamron 60mm F2 because it was the fastest and it focuses internally.
There are several really good lenses on the market and they are expensive, so i spent many weeks watching and bidding on EBAY
I didn't want a macro zoom and i didn't really want the lens to extend as you focus, my other criteria was it had to be a f2.8 or better for speed :z16
Some of the 90mm primes are superb but run into serious money and tend to extend when you focus. It cost me a few quid anyway and that was at half price which was less than half the cost of most of the others :shock

So try to make sure you know exactly what you want and then just keep trying. I use mine for flies and insects so i knew what i wanted it to do, it also doubles up as a very good portrait lens, the only thing i'm getting used too is the depth of field.
Once i get it sussed i have very high hopes for the quality.

What DSLR? i'm running a Nikon and love it, some of the Nikon lenses are fabulous but very serious money, i think cannon is the same, however Tamron and Sigma also make superb glass and are a better price (especially second hand :wink)

Enjoy the lesson, its a another big dangerously expensive world you are entering :shock but lots of great stuff available if you know what you want.

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 29/12/2011 at 16:17 »
Sandy,

It's a Nikon D3100, with an 18-55mm lense on it.  I forgot to get a memory card for it though so haven't been able to take a photo yet!  I quite like the idea of a fixed focal length lense with that classic subject in focus background out of focus look, but I'll wait and see what I can do once I take the camera off automatic before I spend more money.  Given that I like to ramble I'm hoping for some nice landscape shots!

Cheers

Matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 29/12/2011 at 18:17 »

It's a Nikon D3100, with an 18-55mm lense on it. 

Very nice, great to way to get into it :z16 I'd be learning the camera first, you'll find the standard lens is a great starting point and the auto features are very useful. I've always found the Nikon operating system very intuitive so have fun :z16

Looking forward to seeing some results

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 29/12/2011 at 18:35 »
Given that I like to ramble
:X2

Can't say I've noticed  :z3

What's the deal with the one day course? I looked on the A/deen College website a few months ago and there were evening classes at Inverurie advertised for the Winter period but when I checked recently I see it didn't feature so it was either oversubscribed or cancelled.

So I've had to make do with what's on the net.

I like the photo's of fast flowing/ tumbling water so gave that a go last Friday down at the Feugh - armed with the various settings from interweb sites I gave it a go. After a half dozen pure White shots (White I said) I started mucking about with settings and came to what I'd call a reasonable first attempt, bearing bin mind the walkway moves and the railing is higher than my tripod extends.

See the 'Merry Christmas everyone' post for the picture.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #13 on: 30/12/2011 at 10:17 »
Iain,

I saw that and thought you'd been practising! 

Course I've booked on with the wife is here http://www.picture-nature.com/courses.php

The other one I found was a weekly class in Westhill but it clashes with the wife's yoga class. 

Cheers

Matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 01/01/2012 at 18:15 »
I've been playing with the tripod and shutter speeds

reckon i might have it working for the flytying side of things

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com