Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #90 on: 11/06/2012 at 19:42 »
nice report that sums it up very well, Rob.  :z16  this line seriously rocks !    :z13

It rolls too Marc :wink

SLX ....... the Rock & Roll fly line! :z4

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #91 on: 11/06/2012 at 19:44 »
Salmon lines Sieger .......... Cool, more ideas to play with :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #92 on: 11/06/2012 at 22:39 »
OK, just to piss on the parade a little, I used the #4 SLX on what was probably the HOTTEST day I have ever fished and strange things happened.
The Coastguard and I were up on a wee loch (don't ask where until he and I fish it properly  :wink) in what was certainly 28C, possibly more. This loch is high in the hills and open to the beating sun all day. Factor 5000 was the order of the day!
The line went really odd - sticky, limp, wouldn't shoot or load the rod, gathered slack in the rear haul of a double haul and just refused to turn over, just crash.

Next day in better but still hot temps it was just fine. There was a breeze at Haddo for the anniversary bash so it was cooler, and that seemed to make a difference. It rolled, snaked, overhead and hauled just fine so if anything 26C is the cut off for this line.

This is not a complaint, just an observation. I LOVE this line! It makes me look good, and makes casting easy. It does what everyone else says of it. Fortunately those temperatures are rare in Scotland, thank god, and I'll probably never fish in those conditions again, but at least we now know what to expect if we do.

Great line Mike and it's about to get a whole lot of use! I like it with an Orvis 6' Superstrong 11.5lb tapered leader shoved up the core, popped out and nail knotted. Chop off a foot, add a loop to the end of the leader and loop to loop the three fly leader on to that and bingo presto hey - LOCHSTYLE!  :z16

Best line yet. Since we have an honest forum here, I thought I would share the experience.

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #93 on: 11/06/2012 at 23:27 »
Yes, that was interesting feedback Euan, I'm hoping we'll get another day like that this summer so that I can try it out. I have heard of lines going sticky ( various brands ) when left in the sun in the rear window of a car before, so there must be a limit :z3

Forgot to ask, was Hamish using an SLX that day?

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #94 on: 12/06/2012 at 06:43 »
Mike,

Hamish was mostly on sinking line duties and never really used the SLX.
If we get another day like that I will NOT be fishing. I'll be in my hammock with a cold one  :z18

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #95 on: 12/06/2012 at 08:46 »
Forgot to ask, was Hamish using an SLX that day?

Negative, although I had one set up ready to go I ended up trying out a new sinking line I've acquired instead.

I suspect it was a better day for working on a tan than fishing  :cool:

H :z3

Iain Cameron

« Reply #96 on: 12/06/2012 at 09:09 »
I suspect it was a better day for working on a tan than fishing  :cool:

Keep Calm
Admit Defeat
Get Horizontal

Dunalastair loch. Dunfishing. June 2009

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #97 on: 12/06/2012 at 11:53 »
Was that the day we went down and caught bugger all??

Iain Cameron

« Reply #98 on: 12/06/2012 at 16:10 »
Was that the day we went down and caught bugger all??

that was one of the days I've been fishing and caught hee-haw... so many to choose from!
aye, that was a scorching scorchio of a day.

arog

« Reply #99 on: 23/06/2012 at 11:14 »
Is this fly line capable to deliver pike flies? If not what fly line you could suggest for it?

Hamish Young

« Reply #100 on: 23/06/2012 at 17:10 »
The #7 and #8 lines have no issues with a wide variety of sized Salmon flies (with polyleaders attached) so I would think it's plausible that they would cope with some Pike flies.

H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #101 on: 24/06/2012 at 22:28 »
Hmmm...I tried some heavy, very heavy trout streamers on the 6 weight...does it, and does it well using a spey/role cast, BUT, normally when Pike fishing you retrieve to your feet rather than having a length of line out and spey/rolling from a distance.

Many Pike take within a rod length and it is important to get that fly in close. Spey casting you lose 30 feet of retrieve.

I am now using a Cortland Rocket Taper Pike fly line, which is rather good. I also have Rio Outbounds in Intermediate and Slow sink and shooting heads in float, slow and fast sink.

I use the Cortland for 90% of my fishing.

So, although the SLX will deliver the flies, I just think its development as a spey line means its limited for stillwater Pike.

arog

« Reply #102 on: 24/06/2012 at 22:58 »
Well I got 6/7 airflo rod from their fly fishing kit, so I can use #7 weight fly line. But how about normal overhead casting? Does it works well? By the way, I should mention the fact that I almost always fishing in river. So spey line would be better, because I don't have enough place behind me.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #103 on: 24/06/2012 at 23:38 »
The SLX is not developed solely as a Spey line, it works well with any cast but it's rear weight bias makes it a good Spey line.  Anything other than a front weighted line will struggle with what you are looking for Rob, the Outbound short would be about the best I know of solely for pikying on still water with over head casts.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #104 on: 25/06/2012 at 08:26 »
Anything other than a front weighted line will struggle with what you are looking for Rob,

I am not looking for anything Ben, I already have :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com