Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sieger Devries

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #45 on: 22/03/2012 at 21:29 »
Any idea when the #6 lines are coming in again Mike... I really like these SLXses ... And I like the color... great to watch how the loops are rolling....  :grin

Iain Cameron

« Reply #46 on: 22/03/2012 at 22:50 »
.... and yes, I'm hoping to be able to offer an alternative colour later in the year

Do it in camouflage... Just for rob ...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #47 on: 22/03/2012 at 23:06 »
Any idea when the #6 lines are coming in again Mike... I really like these SLXses ... And I like the color... great to watch how the loops are rolling....  :grin

Hi Sieger :z16

I'm hoping they will arrive before the end of the month.

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #48 on: 22/03/2012 at 23:07 »
Do it in camouflage... Just for rob ...

Landrover green?

Sieger Devries

« Reply #49 on: 22/03/2012 at 23:32 »
Hi Sieger :z16

I'm hoping they will arrive before the end of the month.

Best wishes
Mike

Great Mike...!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #50 on: 23/03/2012 at 09:03 »
I'm really not convinced about the bright line / spooked fish thing, line on the water and silhouette is the same regardless of colour,

I hear you, but would like to add the following. Even a high floating line still has a portion sitting under the surface (same as a boat does) and therefore as a trout moves up in the water column the line is no longer sihlouetted.  Add to this ruffled water or a fast sink poly leader pulling the tip of the line under, then I think on a very clear river it "may" spook "some" fish.

There is also the issue of light reflected off the bottom of the river and back up. It is rare for something to be truely shilouetted unless over deep water. A bright line will reflect this already reflected light back more than a dull line.

Trout and Salmon investigated this many years ago with photos taken of an orange, a white and an olive line from below. The orange was very obvious, as was the white!!

As I need all the help I can get...a camo line might just be the answer ;)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #51 on: 23/03/2012 at 11:59 »
I've never anyone cast a line over me whilst I was under water so I couldn't say for sure Rob!

But

when pitching dries I don't like to throw line over the fish as regardless of colour it is often a failed attempt.

I think the above is true regardless of line colour and to some extent regardless of method.

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #52 on: 23/03/2012 at 12:18 »
..... and yes, I'm hoping to be able to offer an alternative colour later in the year :wink

:z16

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #53 on: 29/03/2012 at 12:04 »
hi All !
nice points Rob. this subject always winds up being like comparing blondes, brunettes and redheads...  :z16
this is all a mater of personal preference and more importantly, of confidence.

observation has lead me to believe that the ones who want a 'camo' line are those who hardly if ever watch the line both on in the air and on the water.
those who prefer visible lines watch both as well as the fly.

personally, i go by the (my) logic that if i can't see the line i'm missing out on many possibilities in controlling it, the cast, the drift and the take when using the tip as an indicator, etc, etc, etc.

as Ben so correctly points out, the goal every fly fisher should strive for is to never 'line' a fish or where it may lay, so it shouldn't really be of any importance whatsoever what color the line is  :wink

tip: it's very easy to color the line tip with permanent markers. (as long as you don't use a Toluene-based marker that eats up plastic)
that way those who feel the need for discretion  can have the best of both worlds...   :z13

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

Single handed 90 degree C spey cast
« Reply #54 on: 29/03/2012 at 21:04 »
Lee Watts, Orvis endorsed, AAPGAI & FFF single handed rod instructor .... 6wt 9' 6" Helios rod, 6wt Barrio SLX line.

Check out Lee's website: www.doublehaul.co.uk

Nice one Lee :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #55 on: 31/03/2012 at 02:49 »
Hi Marc,

Always brunettes! ;)

I guess its my "carp fishing" past sneaking out in me...."If I can see it, then the fish can see it"

For me, the ideal river line would be a combination of an olive line with a 3-6 inch orange tip.

I dont cast big distances so can see an olive line enough to mend etc, but the orange tip would be great for nymphing etc.

My first every fly line was a Cortland 444 Peach Nymph tip that had exactly that, but was, of course, a pech colour for the main line.

Having said that, I have an SLX and an orange GT ine that will both be used on Sunday on the river..lol

Mike Barrio

« Reply #56 on: 02/04/2012 at 09:18 »
Rudy van der Meer casting the Barrio SLX in the Netherlands :z16

The photos were sent to me by Jeroen Schoondergang ..... Thanks Jeroen :z16

Will Shaw

« Reply #57 on: 02/04/2012 at 11:58 »
I like orange lines for casting and teaching, and cream lines for (surface) fishing. This is purely an aesthetic thing for me though, a cream line just looks right!  :cool:

Hugh Falkus, bless him, used to say that we should have white sinking lines! He was fond of a drop or two of malt though...

W.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #58 on: 02/04/2012 at 13:38 »
He was fond of a drop or two of malt though...

More than a drop or two from what I hear

Sieger Devries

« Reply #59 on: 02/04/2012 at 17:53 »
Are the  6-ses in Mike ???

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com