Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Marc Fauvet

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #30 on: 14/02/2012 at 20:48 »
hi Mike and gents !
just found this little article on the SLX on my friend Rudy's site, Waving a Stick.
https://www.vandermeer-flyroddesign.com/wordpress/?p=198
not very techy but he seems to like it !  :z18

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 14/02/2012 at 21:15 »
Hi Marc
Great stuff, thanks for that :z16

Kind comments from Rudy, I'm really pleased that he likes the line! :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #32 on: 14/02/2012 at 21:48 »
Thanks Marc.  Just the way we were intended the line to be, easy to use and very controllable with most techniques within sensible fishing ranges  :z16

You tried one yet?

Cheers

Ben

Andy Finlay

« Reply #33 on: 15/02/2012 at 13:46 »
Mike, any plans for a different colour in the near future or is it quite subtle as is.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #34 on: 22/02/2012 at 08:44 »

You tried one yet?

hey Ben !
sorry, i missed your question. i got them a few days ago and of course went out right away to try them ! but water here is still solid enough to drive trucks on... so, it's just snow casting for the moment which is great but doesn't help much to evaluate a line of this type.  however, for the moment i'm quite pleased ! shot roll casts with 'The Roll-Cast Tool' go very far very easily  :z13
there will be a full evaluation review on The Cobra of the SLX just as soon as weather permits several thorough tests.

cheers,
marc

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #35 on: 23/02/2012 at 22:13 »
Lines do exactly what they say on the tin :z16. Cheers Mike
I have the 5# and have used it with a few different rods and it works on all of them and excels at spey's
Going to order an 8#  but I see you are away for a few days.
Be back to you on the 1st.

Best Regards

Brian McGlashan.

Sieger Devries

« Reply #36 on: 03/03/2012 at 00:53 »
Ordered one in 4 weight.... before these are also sold out..  :wink

Sieger Devries

« Reply #37 on: 07/03/2012 at 12:07 »
Just had a first test-drive with the SLX 5 weight... Had it here for some time, but Pikeseason had it lying on the shelf until now...

So put it on a reel and tried it out on the lawn... Mmmmm what a lousy line it is.... Where has the work gone, where is my elite feeling that only I can trow a descent line... How can it be so ridiculously easy to get it away.....  :z13

Hope you know I'm just kidding... What a great line you guys produced... Together with my Imago IPT 9' 5 weight (fast) rod it is a great combination that throws the line really whiteout any effort.... It's great fun to play it on the grass, I can't wait to try it on the water... Think my waterworks will improve a lot...  Nearby and further away... this probably could be my combo to go to....

Hope the 4 weight will match my 4 rod as good as this... Thanks Mike and others involved.....  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 07/03/2012 at 12:55 »
Hi Sieger, thanks for the kind comments .... I'm really pleased that you like the line :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #39 on: 08/03/2012 at 22:30 »
Mike,
Thanks for getting the line to me so quick, can't wait to get out on the water with it...will have to wait until April though :(

Ben Dixon

« Reply #40 on: 09/03/2012 at 11:11 »
Which one did you get Rob?  There is some fishing available from 15th March  :grin

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #41 on: 09/03/2012 at 11:50 »
A 6 weight for a slightly heavier river approach to match up with my 9'6" Diamondback Finesse. Had the rod a year and not used it yet. Still has the plastic on the handle  :roll

I bought a Partridge Reservoir line for it (for still water work), but the belly is way to long for me and I can't cast it so hoping the SLX will be more suitable.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #42 on: 22/03/2012 at 18:32 »
Second time out with the SLX tonight. Love it! Suddenly I can do single handed spey/switch casts!

Thank you guys for making such a sweet line.

Only one request, can we get a version with a slightly less ARRRRGH coloured head? I can see this being my favourite river line but I do wonder if the orange might spook a trout or two?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #43 on: 22/03/2012 at 19:51 »
Rob, I think Mike may be planning to do a toned down version at some point but nothing concrete or definite.  I'm really not convinced about the bright line / spooked fish thing, line on the water and silhouette is the same regardless of colour, when nymphing or spider fishing I like to see the line in all lights.   when pitching dries I don't like to throw line over the fish as regardless of colour it is often a failed attempt.

I'll be using the SLX for 90% of my fishing this year and have no concerns about the colour at all.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #44 on: 22/03/2012 at 20:51 »
Hi Rob :z16

Great to read that you like the line :cool: ..... and yes, I'm hoping to be able to offer an alternative colour later in the year :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com