Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #120 on: 18/07/2012 at 13:29 »
Hi Lindsay,

I perfection loop the end of the tapered then perfection loop the tippet and loop to loop them together, rest of the leader is put together with 3 turn water knots.

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #121 on: 18/07/2012 at 13:36 »
Cheers Ben, will give that a try.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #122 on: 22/07/2012 at 01:39 »
Barrio SLX #4  R-O-C-K-S !!  :z14

Orange colour no spooky the fish either  :z16 See Don thread for SLX 'christening' ! Confidence remains high  :z4

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #123 on: 30/11/2012 at 22:31 »
Hi folks
The Barrio SLX is now available in WF3F in both orange and olive head versions :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Kevin Muir

« Reply #124 on: 04/12/2012 at 12:35 »
Hi Mike

The #3 SLX arrived  on Monday, super fast service as usual.

I will get it spooled tonight and be able to get out at the weekend for a quick play with it.

Thanks

Kev.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #125 on: 05/12/2012 at 00:00 »
Hi folks
The Barrio SLX is now available in WF3F in both orange and olive head versions :z16

Best wishes
Mike

i missed this... too cool !!!  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #126 on: 05/12/2012 at 18:41 »
3wt arrived today, thanks Mike. Can't wait to photograph it in some girly arty way  :X2  :z7  :z4

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #127 on: 05/12/2012 at 18:46 »
3wt arrived today, thanks Mike. Can't wait to photograph it in some girly arty way  :X2  :z7  :z4

Iain

Great stuff Iain  :z4  :z4  :z4  :X3

Kevin Muir

« Reply #128 on: 19/12/2012 at 11:43 »
Hi Mike

I have had the #3 SLX for a few weeks now and have tried it on a few different rods.

First a little bit of background on why I use a #3 rod.

I bought this line with the hope that it would load my 10' #3 Marryat quickly at short range both on the river nymphing and especially for light line float tubing on lochs where the average size of the fish is quite small on many of the more remote hill lochs on the west coast.  A long rod is perfect for fishing from the tube but often I have felt overgunned with a #5 rod.  I have been using the #4 Helios 10' #4 for a few seasons and have been very happy with this outfit matched to a #4 SLX but always hankered for the same rod in a #3 line rating. 

I have had a Marryat 10'#3 rod for a few years, I bought it as a dual purpose rod, nymphing and spiders on the river and a light line loch rod, great fun with 8 oz fish.  I always struggled to get a perfect line for this rod, I needed a line for fishing at fairly short range, The arrival of the #3 SLX was just what I was looking for, it loaded this rod just as I was hoping it would, with a slightly softer tip the Marryat worked well at very short range but would still cope at medium range casts, think tubing for trout here.  This rod was never designed for casting more than medium range but for tubing for trout with the SLX line it will be just great.  As usual, on the river, the SLX performed as they always do, very very well.

Ben told me of the impending arrival of the #3 Helios2 in late summer, as soon as I heard about this rod I ordered one for approval as soon as they arrived in the UK.  I was initially told it would be late March 2013 which was a heck of a long time to wait but the Trout close season was fast approaching and I still had the Marryat for the odd trip after Grayling.

I had read the review Paul Procter compilled about the new 10'#3 Helios2 and that only made me want to get my hands on this rod even more, it sounded perfect for a lot of the trout fishing I do both river and loch.

Well Mr Dixon pulled out all the stops  and managed to get hold a demo rod for me to have a quick play, It was with a little sese op apprehention that I strung it up with the #3 SLX, will the rod and line combo be all that I was hoping and expecting it to be, oh yes and then some.  Having the SLX #3 allowed me to compare the Marryat Tactical and the Helios2 side by side, both being 10' rods.  Chalk and cheese springs to mind.

The Helios2 is a fishing rod that will do just about everything I need in a light loch rod (sensible weather of course), matched to the #3 SLX it is just the type of outfit I have been looking to get hold of for many years, a rod that will cast a decent line but still give you loads of fun with small trout, wow what a rod.  I was able to see the backing knot at my feet many times when playing with it on grass just to see what the outfit would do, both rod and line are simply stunning, As soon Ben takes delivery of a 10' #3 Helios2 I will sorted for next season, I can't wait.

This is the light line outfit of my dreams, thanks for producing a great product Mike, it is often a area where manufacturers and anglers over look the small details like profile etc.  This line is just spot on for normal range casts with a team of flies, I used the #4 SLX last season on my 10' #4 and was more than happy with it, with the #3 SLX now being available, I can see many people trying the SLX on their #3 rod to see if it will make them use their lighter  rods more often.

When you change from a regular WF line to a SLX you really notice the difference the SLX profile makes, especially in the lighter line weights, I tried this and was very surprised at how different the rods felt with a standard WF3 line.  I tried the SLX on shorter rods as well, I have a 8' #3 rod I use on my local river which is quite small, the #3 SLX was just perfect on this too.

If anyone has a #3 rod and you just feel that something is not just right about the outfit, I would definately keep the SLX on the list of possible lines to try out on your rod.

It never ceases to amaze me how one rod will just not work with one line but will be transformed with another, for me this was the SLX #3.

Thanks from a very happy customer (waiting patiently for his new rod).

Kevin.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #129 on: 19/12/2012 at 11:54 »
Awesome feedback .... Thanks Kevin :z16

I'm really pleased that you like the line!

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #130 on: 19/12/2012 at 13:07 »
Kevin,  :z16, :) and  :z18

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #131 on: 19/12/2012 at 23:53 »
Kevin,
I recently purchased the 4 wt slx and the 6 wt slx but a combination of work commitments and crap weather have prevented me from test driving them. Also I was talking to Ben about a 10 foot rod for tubing recently as I spend a lot of time in Assynt and in Durness. If the 3wt helios and the slx are as good as you say, I am going to have to buy yet another rod, i cannot wait for next season. Many thanks for an excellent post.

Eddie.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #132 on: 20/12/2012 at 02:34 »
Kevin,
I recently purchased the 4 wt slx and the 6 wt slx but a combination of work commitments and crap weather have prevented me from test driving them. Also I was talking to Ben about a 10 foot rod for tubing recently as I spend a lot of time in Assynt and in Durness. If the 3wt helios and the slx are as good as you say, I am going to have to buy yet another rod, i cannot wait for next season. Many thanks for an excellent post.

Eddie.

Get the 9' 9" peregrine fixed and stop spending my inheritance! Lol

Ben Dixon

« Reply #133 on: 20/12/2012 at 09:31 »
If the 3wt helios and the slx are as good as you say,

They are, stunning combination  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #134 on: 20/12/2012 at 14:21 »
I was lucky enough to have a cast with this outfit along with Kev and Ben. Not long enough a go and in the company of Ben and Kev my casting skills will have looked shabby, but, I can only really say one thing...

Yes Please!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com