Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #105 on: 25/06/2012 at 10:47 »
Having just returned from a week in Assynt (more on that another time) I can report back on how the SLX #4wt behaved as a 'loch' line on my Helios 10' #4wt.

Awesome - pure and simple, coped with all wind conditions and flies of my ....errrr...... 'usual' size :wink and others in more sensible sizes.

If you can find a better line I'd be very surprised indeed, simply makes the whole experience even more pleasurable  :cool:

Excellent  :z12

H :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #106 on: 25/06/2012 at 11:16 »
Cool, thanks for the feedback Hamish :z16

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #107 on: 25/06/2012 at 12:29 »

Awesome - pure and simple, coped with all wind conditions and flies of my ....errrr...... 'usual' size :wink and others in more sensible sizes.

If you can find a better line I'd be very surprised indeed, simply makes the whole experience even more pleasurable  :cool:

Excellent  :z12

:z3

couldn't agree more. my 4wt was a real treat to use last week in norther sweden.  :z16

cheers,
marc

Loxiafan

« Reply #108 on: 16/07/2012 at 00:17 »
Away to take plunge on an SLX #4. You guys that have both Olive and Orange what is your preference and experience of the bright Orange line in a river fishing situation re putting fish down or not  ? I'd normally go with Olive but I am considering the Orange to help improve my casting (by being easier to see esp. when casting ). Reading what Ben said earlier about Orange lines not spooking fish makes sense and tbh if it is good enough for him !

I suppose I could buy one of each  :wink

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #109 on: 16/07/2012 at 00:39 »
Hi Lindsay :z16

I've been experimenting with this for years, I don't think that the colour of a fly line makes any difference to the fish whatsoever :wink

Confidence catches fish! ...... and the only time that the colour of a line makes any difference in my experience, is when an angler thinks it does and loses confidence :z6

Best wishes
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #110 on: 16/07/2012 at 00:46 »
I've been experimenting with this for years, I don't think that the colour of a fly line makes any difference to the fish whatsoever :wink

Confidence catches fish! ...... and the only time that the colour of a line makes any difference in my experience, is when an angler thinks it does and loses confidence :z6

Cheers Mike,

My confidence is lacking in the casting dept. so anything that helps me tweak that is paramount ! Used to fish a bright Yellow Airflo years ago and can't recall it impacting negatively but didn't fish dries in those hedonistic days.

At this time of year I am fishing in darkness so line colour is probaby not important, but the Orange Line will be great practising on grass.

Will order an Orange SLX.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #111 on: 17/07/2012 at 12:54 »
Hi Mike,

Got the #4 Orange SLX through this moring, very fast service as always !  :z16 I think the different colours marking the head and running line will really help me too. Had a shot of Ben's on Saturday and like it. Your Mallard WF has been doing the biz last few nights for me too.

Now I need to go see a man about a spare spool for my Hydros II !

Cheers,

Lindsay

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #112 on: 17/07/2012 at 16:19 »
Hi all, are any of you willing to share what leader configurations you are using with the slx?
Like everyone else I love the line and use it for pretty much all my river, loch and sea fishing on my 6wt tcx.
I'm currently using it with 5ft airflo poly leaders and then attaching a two fly or single fly straight fluoro leader to it. Turn over is good , but Those poly leaders arenT the most durable and im wondering if their is a better way...

J

Ben Dixon

« Reply #113 on: 17/07/2012 at 16:57 »
I use a 6' 1X Orvis tapered leader which is looped at the thin end and nail knotted to the line.  At the fly end I use build whatever I need for dries on the river, usually 4' of 3x then 3' of 4x then 2' of 5x in fair wind conditions.  This will vary depnding upon pool / wind size of fly etc.

For lochs with traditionals I will use the same tapered leader and usually level 3x to give an overall leader length of about 14'.

Cheers

Ben

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #114 on: 17/07/2012 at 21:33 »
Thanks for that Ben. I'll give those Orvis tapered leaders a shot. I found this link online which I think is the ones you mean?...

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0714

J

Ben Dixon

« Reply #115 on: 17/07/2012 at 22:44 »
Yup, they're the ones.

CHeers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #116 on: 18/07/2012 at 08:33 »
Thanks for that Ben. I'll give those Orvis tapered leaders a shot. I found this link online which I think is the ones you mean?...

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0714

J

Or use Mikes tapered leaders ;)

Loxiafan

« Reply #117 on: 18/07/2012 at 12:44 »
I use a 6' 1X Orvis tapered leader which is looped at the thin end and nail knotted to the line.  At the fly end I use build whatever I need for dries on the river, usually 4' of 3x then 3' of 4x then 2' of 5x in fair wind conditions.  This will vary depnding upon pool / wind size of fly etc.

Hi Ben,

What kind of leader setup would you recommend for me on the 4 wt ?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

« Reply #118 on: 18/07/2012 at 13:13 »
Hi Lindsay,

I'd still stick to something fairly chunky as the SLX likes something to turn over.  Something with a butt of about 0.024 or 0.025" and about 6' in length tapered to 2X then build from there as above.

I do the above as  I nail knot the leader on, if I used loops I would change tapered leader for different set ups.

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #119 on: 18/07/2012 at 13:24 »
Cheers Ben. I am finding nail knotted leaders are working better for me than the loops. Do you use a loop at the termination of the tapered leader (then tie the tippet on to this) ?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com