Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Which Opening day for River Don Brown Trout ?
« on: 16/12/2011 at 22:02 »
I am confused.   ??? I thought the 'Opening day' for Don Brown Trout was 1st of April ? But there was a press release in FF and FT this month saying it was from 1st April but 15th March (for catch and release) based on the 2012 recommendations of the Brown Trout Improvement Association :

http://www.riverdon.org.uk/brown_trout_improv_assn/rdbtia_conservation_code_2012.asp

So, I pressume 'season' means when fish can be legally killed and if so can I fish ADAA waters on 15th March ( I practice 100% catch and release) ?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Hamish Young

Re: Which Opening day for River Don Brown Trout ?
« Reply #1 on: 17/12/2011 at 08:38 »
Your conclusion would also be my interpretation of the release Lindsay, but I'd check with the ADAA committee to be sure.

I wonder what a 'mitigation procedure' is in relation to stocking of trout and where it might be applied :?

:z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 17/12/2011 at 10:35 »
Both good questions, perhaps "machar" Iain could help and clarify these for us?

Best wishes
Mike

machar

« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2011 at 12:52 »
Hi Mike

Yes, I think I can help although I am not a member of the River Don Brown Trout Improvement Association (RDBTIA). The statutory opening day for brown trout is 15th. March for Scotland. However,  proprietors, associations etc can and do set their own dates within the statutory period. In the case of the ADAA it sets 1st. April as the opening day for Brown Trout fishing on all its waters, whether catch and release is practiced or not. So no,you cannot fish ADAA waters after 15th March just because you practice catch and release you have to wait until 1st. April.  Other proprietors may set different dates so it would be worth checking with the beat before wetting a line. I take the point on board however and will bring it to the attention of RDBTIA.
As regards Hamish's question the Trust and the Board, if appropriate, might enter an agreement with a developer to give approval for a development affecting the river and potentially its fish and ecology on the basis that the developer would have to carry out say enhancement works to the river or restocking if there was a fish kill or potential fish kill for example. This is called mitigation and is used to ensure that any development potentially affecting the river never leaves it in a poorer condition overall after the development takes place. So in this particular instance RDBTIA are saying if brown trout have to be stocked as a result of a mitigation agreement it has to be with river Don brown trout
I hope this helps clarify the position, if not let me know here or at iain@riverdon.org.uk.

Regards

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 17/12/2011 at 13:07 »
Thanks Iain :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 17/12/2011 at 14:05 »
Hi Iain,

Many thanks for the clarification, that was just as I thought but thought I'd better check ! It was too bloody cold at the beginning of April this year anyway so wishful thinking on my part !  :wink

Hamish, I do know that ADAA will not be stocking Brown Trout at Parkhill in 2012. I don't know if anyone else stocks brownies on the Don but I don't think so.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 17/12/2011 at 17:11 »
I hope this helps clarify the position

Thanks Ian, you have indeed clarified the minefield of mitigation terminology.

Hamish, I do know that ADAA will not be stocking Brown Trout at Parkhill in 2012.

This is refreshingly good news, an enlightened approach IMHO.

H :z3

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 17/12/2011 at 21:00 »
That's a great reply Iain  :z16

Personally, every trout I have had from the don early April have always been in great condition.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com