Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andy Finlay

I'm hoping for some double handed casting lessons early next year prior to the season starting as I'm very keen to give Salmon fishing a go next year properly. I also play golf and have had a few lesson in the past, after which I would spend a lot of hours hitting balls until it became second nature what had been taught.

Now, I'm a bit confused on the fishing side, if I get a lesson, am I allowed to go to the river and practice what I have been taught or is it not allowed. Obviously, what would be on the end of the line wouldnt catch a fish but are you allowed onto the river with fishing gear if you have no intention of catching?

Ben Dixon

Re: Are you allowed to practice casting on the river??
« Reply #1 on: 16/12/2011 at 20:53 »
Hi Andy,

It is fine provided you make sure that you are not trampling anything that looks as if it could even possibly be a redd and you have permission from the fishery owner or landowner.  You are not breaking any laws by doing so without permission as you are not fishing but do definitely seek permission anyway and it would be a good idea to make sure that your practice spot is away from public view.

Cheers

Ben

Andy Finlay

« Reply #2 on: 16/12/2011 at 21:05 »
Ben, you up for some teaching in the early new year to get me ready for the start of the season?

Fisher

« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2011 at 15:57 »
I would also suggest you inform the River Bailiff's of your intention so they do not have to attend a call out unnecessarily to check what you are doing.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com