Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Spey Fly
« on: 15/12/2011 at 23:07 »
First one I've attempted in a long time, never was any good at them.

Any suggestions?  I know the hooks are too big for my mallard feathers!!

Ben

Mike Barrio

Re: Spey Fly
« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2011 at 23:27 »
Nice fly for a step by step :z4

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 16/12/2011 at 08:59 »
I was given a heap of Dee and Spey flies by the late Jim Somers. The most notable thing about them is that every one contained Heron herl, dyed or otherwise. I think this is what truely defines a Spey fly, rather than just a long palmered hackle.

The movement afforded by the heron herl is essential and the wings tied almost as a shell also seem to define a spey fly.

I am guessing you have been on the US Speypages website?

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 16/12/2011 at 09:33 »
Most of the older 'spey' patterns I've tied (from old pics and examples I have kicking around) have had the mallard 'inverted' (tip to body) so might be worth trying that - my guess is that it allows the wing to be tighter to the body and masks the shortness of the wing material relative to the rest of the fly.
A reddish hackle from the back of a golden pheasant makes a reasonable substitute for heron, it will neatly mask body hackle 'cheats' and shortcomings in bronze mallard length as it should be just about long enough to reach beyond the bend of the hook.
Interesting colour choices in there chap :wink

H :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 16/12/2011 at 09:41 »
I am guessing you have been on the US Speypages website?

I do visit Speypages occasionally Rob but not for flies really, I'd stick to UK info on "Spey" flies  :z4

Colours are what I had lying around (or at least visible) on my table.

Think it needs a lower flatter wing, shorter tail and longer hackle which I should get from some of my packs of Schlappen.  If I get through enough proper flies today I may have a crack at another few this evening.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 16/12/2011 at 09:50 »
or at least visible on my table

:z4  :z4  :z4

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 16/12/2011 at 15:37 »
 I have some Heron herl and hackles and colour wise they bear no resemblance to any thing on a GF, plus the feathers you mention are a lot stiffer than the heron, a softer alternative would be some very pale Mallard from the big side of the flank , easgach1

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 16/12/2011 at 18:53 »

Colours are what I had lying around (or at least visible) on my table.

Think it needs a lower flatter wing, shorter tail and longer hackle which I should get from some of my packs of Schlappen.  If I get through enough proper flies today I may have a crack at another few this evening.

Cheers

Ben

IMHO the wing is too "thick". Think slimmer, like a medicine fly, possibly with an optional Golden Pheasant crest overlaid.
I like the colours  :z16 I thought it was a "Purpy" when I first saw it. If you changed the blue for purple you'd be close.
The tail is a wee bit "scruffy" and the palmer too thick for my tastes, but hey, what the f*ck would I know.

Overall it's lovely Ben. If anything, find a pattern and make a Spey version. This will allow you to get a "balance" with the colours and get it into proportion. Like supermodels, think slim! :z4

I do like it though, well done.

:z1

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 16/12/2011 at 22:25 »
The most notable thing about them is that every one contained Heron herl, dyed or otherwise. I think this is what truely defines a Spey fly, rather than just a long palmered hackle.

The original hackle was a 'Spey Cock' a capon feather not neccessarily a heron

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 16/12/2011 at 23:22 »
I may be wrong but I think Taverner mentions Heron feathers, none the less look at the outer pale flank feathers from a Rueon(?) duck, a domesticated mallard, easgach1

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 17/12/2011 at 16:40 »
I may be wrong but I think Taverner mentions Heron feathers, none the less look at the outer pale flank feathers from a Rueon(?) duck, a domesticated mallard, easgach1

Sorry didn't put that clearly, the hackles for spey flies originally came from spey cocks, then heron when the capons became scarce...... I think :z8

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 17/12/2011 at 18:16 »
I thought it was a bit of both, Spey cock for lighter flies and heron for darker ones.
Spey cocks are now regarded as extinct and it was the feathers from the side of the tails that was used.
I love Spey style flies and your hackle isn't really long enough Ben, you will struggle to get schlappen to suit
, I've tried :z6
I have some heron  :wink and like using pheasant body feathers. Some of the larger back feathers on a coot
Are a good Spey hackle too :z16

Interestingly H's suggestion of GP body feathers is a good one and formed the basis of the very similar Dee style flies
Also tied with  long flowing hackle and also dating back many years.

I guess any feathers which are long fibred and soft enough will be usuable
Webby feathers are nice for this like flank from teal and mallard,
So I think all the suggestions so far are valid :z16
It will be interesting to see what you come up with next :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 19/12/2011 at 01:24 »
I do visit Speypages occasionally Rob but not for flies really, I'd stick to UK info on "Spey" flies  :z4

You often have to look outside of Scotland to find its true heritage. The Yanks and the Japanese probably know more about traditional Scottish salmon flies than anyone else thanks to their insatiable need to be "Scottish".

Andy Wren

« Reply #13 on: 10/02/2012 at 07:39 »
Have a word with Cookshill for Spey hackle .
He does some natural and dyed for the bigger flys and big packs of Coot or moorhen cant remeber which ,but its good for smaller spey type flys .

Paul Rankine

« Reply #14 on: 24/02/2012 at 20:15 »
Ben,
         I,ve a few spare Heron hackles . PM me your address and I'll get them off to you .
Cheers,

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com