Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

Re: Brown Trout Study, River Don Upper Parkhill from 1931
« Reply #30 on: 24/12/2011 at 13:00 »
As far as publications for ID'ing our insects are concerned, the very best (endorsed by Staurt Crofts at a talk in Ilkley this season) are produced by the Field Studies Council. I straight away bought the ones on Ephemeroptera,Stoneflies and Caddis flies-they are brilliant. I have been conversing very recently with Oliver Edwards on this matter and here is what he had to say "Richard, do you have the scientific 'Keys' for identification of the various insect Orders? If you haven't, you may want to consider getting them, at least the two dealing with the Ephemeroptera. ( A key to the nymphs of British Ephemeroptera:  A key to the adults of British Ephemeroptera:   From the Freshwater Biological Association).... or 'A Pictorial Guide to British Ephemeroptera' by Macadam & Bennett ( Field Studies Council) This is useful and quite detailed, but not as detailed as the Keys....but contains all we need for splitting..and more!!" So he endorses them too and Stuart held up a variety of books from the likes of Goddard,O'Reilly etc. and basically said that they were nowhere near as good or comprehensive as these publications and I agree.

The text and keys to the latter publication are by Craig Macadam(Riverfly Partnership) with photos by Dr Cyril Bennett. I think that this cost £15 and the Stonefly and Caddis were I think £5 each. The Ephemeroptera one is spiral bound and laminated, so is great for taking into the field, wheras the other two are sort of fold-out but still laminated

Richard

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #31 on: 24/12/2011 at 14:49 »
I have all the FSC books, further to the conversations i've had with Stuart as well :z18

And as Richard says they are brill, although the caddis nymph and stonefly ones don't have enough photos in them.
The Ephemera and Sedge ones are a superb guide and will go in the bag with no issues.
I also have Ronalds "fly fishers entomology" which is a very old book, but what he does that most of the others don't (except goddard) is he also identifies the terrestrials and midges which the trout eat, anyone who misses those doesn't have a complete guide.
This is echo'd by the original 1931 Don study which identifies the midge and smuts etc, yet the current ADAA calender does not.
I know the trouts diet hasn't changed much in the last 10,000 years so i think the more opinions and input from all the guys on here then the better the information will be :z16

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #32 on: 24/12/2011 at 18:04 »
This is echo'd by the original 1931 Don study which identifies the midge and smuts etc, yet the current ADAA calender does not.

There is an interesting lliustrated caption in an article by Jeremy Lucas in this months FFandFT (Jan 2012) where he writes that he is noticing that small midge's, rather than upwings, are making up more of river trout's diet. The Don study from 1931 would suggest that this has always been the case, there at least, so it is an interesting comment by a notable and successful competition angler. It might also explain that, whilst upwing fly hatches have clearly declined over the last 50 years, and primarily the last decade according to some writers, the Don population of brown trout remains healthy.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #33 on: 24/12/2011 at 18:06 »
you may want to consider getting them, at least the two dealing with the Ephemeroptera. ( A key to the nymphs of British Ephemeroptera:  A key to the adults of British Ephemeroptera:   From the Freshwater Biological Association).... or 'A Pictorial Guide to British Ephemeroptera' by Macadam & Bennett ( Field Studies Council) This is useful and quite detailed, but not as detailed as the Keys....but contains all we need for splitting..and more!!"

Thanks for that info Richard - I discovered these books last week but wasn't sure if they were too 'specialzed'. Sounds like they would be worth it.

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com