Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: Brown Trout Study, River Don Upper Parkhill from 1931
« Reply #15 on: 20/12/2011 at 17:18 »
Sandy/Lindsay
Before going on to the river could you please phone Mr Jamie Urquhart River Don Trust Biologist on 07860846999 or 01330 830080. he can advise on the best time of year this practice should be carried out. At this time of year there are salmon and trout eggs under the gravel and it is illegal to disturb these spawning beds, which you would do kick sampling so please give Jamie a call.

Hi Jim,

As Sandy says in order for it to relate to what trout eat and when (to benefit anglers) the survey would technically have to run 'in season' much as R.M Neill did at Parkhill in 1931. That said, I think year round surveys might be useful (as they do down south) but of course only after consulatation with the Don Fishery Board. Perhaps Jamie would be interested in coordinating such surveys - sounds like he would have a few helpers ?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Jamie

« Reply #16 on: 21/12/2011 at 12:45 »

Dear all
I'm delighted that there is some interest in such a project on the Don, thanks to Irvine and Jim for pointing out that there may be overlaps with the Trusts work and implications for working in stream at this time of the year.
Firstly i'd like to give you a bit of background to the Trusts work in this topic to date.
The Trust has been collecting invert samples during its electro fishing surveys across the catchment at over 170 sites from the Don mouth to the headwaters inc tribs. We've been using standard kick sampling and stone turning/washing techniques with the aim to establishing a summary of the invertebrate community across the catchment at a basic family level and were possible moving into genus as well. These samples are currently with the University of Aberdeen as part of a collaborative project we are running with them and there they will be identified and the results disseminated to us in due course.

Asides from this we have also hosted a training event for Trust biologists during 2010 which was an introduction to the Anglers Monitoring Initiative (AMI). This event was accredited and enabled the attendees to undertake a standardised format of monitoring, it provided basic ID skills and established links with local regulatory bodies such as SEPA to ensure that the information you were collecting was acted upon appropriately i.e. assuming a pollution incident was recorded by the anglers in their invert monitoring this could be used to support mitigation procedures or in a prosecution.

We've also had a few independent studies looking for various species with very little luck across the catchment these have been mainly Universities trying to find a few mayfly sp on the edge of their range but either the weather or the locations have not been suitable and very little information has been turned up.

The Trust is currently looking into coordinating and sourcing funding for a pilot programme on this topic which would involve trained anglers/volunteers undertaking monthly monitoring at regular locations using standardised methods and equipment. The information collected will be used to inform fishery management, inform SEPA of water quality issues and will be disseminated and or updated to anglers/volunteers through either an electronic medium or by regular reports.

What I would suggest is that it would be useful to get a handle on the number of interested anglers/volunteers, as the project relies upon this input. I would also suggest that the Trust with its charitable status and background would be an ideal body to coordinate the project.

This programme is a standardise approach and nationally recognised, however it has not been rolled out across Scotland at this point for various reasons. There are a few programmes running in Scotland on the Tweed and in Ayrshire for example. I’ve been in touch with them and I’m awaiting some feedback on how the project has run.

If it is possible for those interested to let me know;

Firstly if they would be happy with this being a project coordinated or overseen by the Trust but in effect run by the anglers/volunteers then that would be great,

Secondly how many of you would be interested in participating.

From here, should it be the case I can then get the ball rolling on this topic, source funding, arrange to meet, arrange training and prepare a pilot programme for the 2012 year.
For more information the Riverfly website has details at this address
http://www.riverflies.org/index/riverfly_monit.html
Or please drop me an email at biologist@riverdon.org.uk
I’m not on the forum that often but I’ll try and keep up to date on this topic.

Best regards Jamie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 21/12/2011 at 13:09 »
Hi Jamie ..... welcome back :z4 I'm sure we'll remember your other username sometime :X1

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 21/12/2011 at 15:25 »
Hi Jamie

I'll drop you an email to discuss things further, but i would be a very happy volunteer on such a project.
I would still like to pursue my own little sub-project creating a guide for anglers. For it to be a side-line to a proper look into the species in the river would be great :z16 sounds like a win/win situation to me :z18
I'd like to be useful as well as pandering to my own whims. :grin

Hopefully there a few others willing and perhaps we can link up with the Riverfly partnership as well, when i spoke to Stuart Crofts he reckoned that would be a good idea too.

I love the idea of getting some proper instruction too :z16 i can provide some half decent camera and illustrative skills to help with any presentations as well :z16

Getting more interesting all the time :z12

Sandy

Jamie

« Reply #19 on: 21/12/2011 at 17:02 »
Hi Mike
Thanks for that, yes I'm sure it will pop up in a glaringly obvious email inbox folder in the next few days knowing my luck.

Also thanks for your interest Sandy, delighted to have interest at this stage and more than willing to accommodate your requirements or others within the outcomes of the potential project, perhaps something which all those with a vested interest could discuss in due course.

Best regards Jamie

Irvine Ross

« Reply #20 on: 21/12/2011 at 17:22 »
Jamie

I'll hold my hand up as a volunteer. I should have a bit more time available next season and a lot more the year after that.

Merry Christmas

Irvine

Jamie

« Reply #21 on: 21/12/2011 at 21:59 »
Hi Irvine
Thanks for your note of interest in the project i'll be in touch, merry xmas.
Cheers Jamie

Iain Cameron

« Reply #22 on: 22/12/2011 at 09:49 »
Hi Irvine
Thanks for your note of interest in the project i'll be in touch, merry xmas.
Cheers Jamie

hi jamie

Aye, i'd be interested in helping out too. sure we can rope Matt O in too

cheers
iain

Jamie

« Reply #23 on: 22/12/2011 at 10:28 »
Hi Iain
Thanks for the interest in the project Iain, i'll add you to the list as well.
Will be speaking to Matt the night so i'm sure that I can rope him in as well.
Cheers Jamie

Iain Cameron

« Reply #24 on: 22/12/2011 at 13:43 »
Hi Iain
Thanks for the interest in the project Iain, i'll add you to the list as well.
Will be speaking to Matt the night so i'm sure that I can rope him in as well.
Cheers Jamie

i'm having pints and then food with Matt O tonight too, so he's got no escape.
you in the Machar later?

Loxiafan

« Reply #25 on: 23/12/2011 at 16:28 »
Hi Jamie,

Great to hear from you on the forum. I'd be willing to help out with 'official' surveys for the reason's I cited above. Will drop you an email with my full contact details.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #26 on: 24/12/2011 at 09:58 »
I think that the quality of the photography and reference material will be paramount in species identification.

bought 'A pictorial Guide to British Ephemeroptera' from Orvis yesterday as the ID key to the nymphal stages was the best I've seen, then set to work looking to road test it on old photo's.
her's an example;

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 24/12/2011 at 10:11 »
Brilliant :z14

If we can keep the pictures like that, then our wee guide could end up better than most of the "proper ones" :z16
Time and effort will be the keys :z16

I take it you want to play too, iain? :z18

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #28 on: 24/12/2011 at 10:35 »
Hi Sandy,

I think this project is long overdue and would like to contribute in any way I could, only thing is that I can't promise reliability due to family and work commitments that's the only reason that I haven't had responded.

Last season I carried a net along with the camera and attempted to record some of the local fly life - some really good stuff mixed with some total dross but very rewarding. I hope that this will be the case again this coming season coupled with a key to location, date, conditions, etc. And I'm more than happy to share this info.

As I said good photography is key because hind wing clarity was pivotal in the identification process, for me, for upswings.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 24/12/2011 at 11:59 »
That's fantastic guys, awesome photo Iain :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com