Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

What would you like to see in 2012?
« on: 14/12/2011 at 20:43 »
What new products would you like to see in 2012?

I'd like to see some new fly reels on the market, something in between the high end toys and the Chinese copy rubbish stuff that is being sold just about everywhere :z6

Yes, there is a good gap in the market in the £40 to £100 range for a nice non-Chinese fly reel :z16

Cheers
Mike

Andy Finlay

Re: What would you like to see in 2012?
« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2011 at 22:36 »
Mike,
TBH, any reel in that price range will be mass produced in a far away place. Even the higher priced ones will either be made there or all the components will be and it will be "assembled" which for some companies equates to made elsewhere.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 15/12/2011 at 01:19 »
Hi Andy

Yes, but I think some of the bigger brands have possibly had enough ...... things are changing and other players on the manufacturing front ( almost certainly in faraway places ) will move in.

Do you remember the days of "made in Japan"?

But let's get back on topic ....... Would you like to see any particular new products on the market next year?

I would like to see a good range of quality barbless flies in the shops from a major wholesale distributor like Fulling Mill! Not at a premium price though :z7 they should cost the same as barbed flies. This is well overdue and a huge opportunity :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 15/12/2011 at 17:19 »
I would like to see new rules brought in to ban treble and double hooks, be it on flies, lures or baits.

I have taken a huge leaf out of the Scandinavian Pike Fly fishers who tie on big tubes and use small barbless singles. Hook ups are always in the scissors and IF a fish breaks the line its left with a small hook in a position that won't stitch up its face.

I came across a few photos of dead salmon on the interweb thingy that showed salmon with there snouts stitched up by mostly trebles, but the odd double too. (Flies that is, not lures)

Is our vanity of being able to boast about catching a fish more important than the welfare of a broken off fish?

adambrain

« Reply #4 on: 15/12/2011 at 19:34 »
I would like to see new rules brought in to ban treble and double hooks, be it on flies, lures or baits.

I have taken a huge leaf out of the Scandinavian Pike Fly fishers who tie on big tubes and use small barbless singles. Hook ups are always in the scissors and IF a fish breaks the line its left with a small hook in a position that won't stitch up its face.

I came across a few photos of dead salmon on the interweb thingy that showed salmon with there snouts stitched up by mostly trebles, but the odd double too. (Flies that is, not lures)

Is our vanity of being able to boast about catching a fish more important than the welfare of a broken off fish?

Rob, I couldn't agree more, well said!!

I'd like to see some SINKING flouro please, and mikes idea of middle of the range reels, good looking ones.

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 15/12/2011 at 19:41 »
Here here Rob.

I'd like to see Riverge (or equivalent) at Drennan sub surface prices. £8 a spool still hurts! I'd use it if it was cheaper, and I'd use all diameters instead of picking two or three. I do love the Drennan though... :z16

I'd also like to see more rods in the Access price range, and of the same quality. This recession thing will make manufacturers realise that money is tight but quality still matters. I know that development costs factor into the equation, but, not cheaper, but less expensive have to be the way forward.

I agree with Mike about reels too. Large arbour big reels for saltwater at plastic prices would be ace. Smacking a £100+ reel off the rocks at the cliffs hurts people like me that really like to take care of their tackle.

There's probably a bunch of other things that will pop into my head later, so that will do for now.  :z4
The global recession will change fishing tackle as we know it, hopefully for the good.

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 16/12/2011 at 00:15 »
I'd like to see some SINKING flouro please, .

Now thats interesting. All the carp magazines bang on about Fluro being a fast sinking line and that if left slack, will hug the bottom. I have never found this myself and have also had trouble getting the stuff to sink.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 18/12/2011 at 14:33 »
A true long belly line 5wt  I , easgach 1

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 18/12/2011 at 15:35 »
A true long belly line 5wt  I , easgach 1

Scientific Anglers MED #5wt (30ft belly in a #5wt) not suitable then :?

H :z3

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 18/12/2011 at 20:23 »
My last good long belly had a 45ft+ belly, loads of 30ft ers around, I have tried a lot over the years, but have never managed to get one like my defunct line , I bought it 25 yrs ago from Mullarkeys it was £9.50 at the time,i managed to keep it going for about 7 years, ah well I'll keep looking easgach1

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 18/12/2011 at 22:07 »
What was the defunct line ???

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 18/12/2011 at 22:57 »
My last good long belly had a 45ft+ belly

be as well getting a DT  :z16 unless of course you are talking about head length and not just the belly :z8

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 18/12/2011 at 23:29 »
Sort of the point I was coming to Sandy  :wink

The MED is (in my recollection, I could be wrong) one of the longest belly fly lines out there, when you include the front taper of 13' and the rear taper 25' the MED has to be 'right up there'.

I would be very interested to see this long belly line from Mullarkeys, could be a hitherto unknown gem.

H :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 19/12/2011 at 00:02 »
MED is one of the longest out there.  GT140 has a head length of 88', belly of 25' and quite a long front taper, back taper is so long you are effectively on belly for a long time.  Snowbee XS-ED has a long head of 60'.

I rarely need a line with an overall head length of about 40' when fishing I am usually fishing at about 50' max.

Cheers

Ben

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #14 on: 19/12/2011 at 20:25 »
 I did say it went defunct, I did make up a close approximation by splicing a 4 front taper to a 5 level line, The Line sold by Mullarkeys was sold as a Long Belly Professional, and it was  £9.50 in 1985 but they havent stocked them since then
 easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com