Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Interesting Stuff
« on: 13/12/2011 at 14:01 »
I'm reading a pretty interesting book about Scottish Brownies at the moment, mostly research carried out in the 1950s.

Something that I find interesting is that Browns appear to have just as strong a "Homing" behaviour as their cousins. A study carried out on a large loch which had quite a few streams suggested homing behaviour was taking place. So in 1956, 28 males and 10 females were transferred from "stream A" to "Stream B" in October ...... 3 weeks later, 14 males and 9 females had returned to "Stream A" and by the time the spawning runs had ended in December, all had returned :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Derek Roxborough

Re: Interesting Stuff
« Reply #1 on: 13/12/2011 at 20:08 »
Name please, Mike? easgach1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 13/12/2011 at 20:50 »
Name please, Mike? easgach1

I haven't got another name "easgach1" ....... I am Mike :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 13/12/2011 at 20:54 »
But if you meant the book :z7 ...... it is Trout in Scotland, a story of brown trout research at Pitlochry.

From: Her Majesty's Stationery Office and costing at the time six shillings net.

Best wishes :z4
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #5 on: 14/12/2011 at 00:48 »
I'm reading a pretty interesting book about Scottish Brownies at the moment, mostly research carried out in the 1950s.

Something that I find interesting is that Browns appear to have just as strong a "Homing" behaviour as their cousins. A study carried out on a large loch which had quite a few streams suggested homing behaviour was taking place. So in 1956, 28 males and 10 females were transferred from "stream A" to "Stream B" in October ...... 3 weeks later, 14 males and 9 females had returned to "Stream A" and by the time the spawning runs had ended in December, all had returned :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Glad to hear you are enjoying the book Mike.

Alex

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 14/12/2011 at 00:55 »
Hi Alex :z16

Yes, there is some interesting information in it. Thanks for that :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 14/12/2011 at 09:23 »
Hi Mike,
I think most fish are the same. As you know, carp can be individually recognised by their scale pattens, and this has led to some interesting movements being observed.

The Yately complex down south is a series of lakes where some of the fish go "walkies" from lake to lake, either by human intervention  :mad, or floods. The lakes are connected by pipes to try an stop flooding in the winter.

Carp have been observed actually trying to get down these pipes come spawning time. When the fish have been caught  during this time and returned back to the lake they originally came from they have gone straight back to the areas where they have always spawned.

Fish that have not got back to the original lake have sulked and not spawned, spending there time hard against the flow of water from the pipes.

Fish are strange creatures of habit...and so are fishermen!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 14/12/2011 at 21:18 »
Ah! yer a wag Mike, here's me not knowing,  I have the" trout" by Frost & Brown before The Potlichery one I'm sure, some interesting conclusions,  :X2  easgach1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 14/12/2011 at 21:51 »
Great stuff Easygach :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 14/12/2011 at 22:05 »
What sort of conclusions did they find in that one? Any interesting points worth noting?

Cheers
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #11 on: 15/12/2011 at 19:55 »
 a lot of work done on  seperate populations in similar places specially the Upper Liffey in Eire,  a lot of relevant stuff done in the lake district and some in Scotland   I have also TT Mc Canns, Life in freshwater another worthwhile book
Mikey   :X1  easgach1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com