Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Wind
« on: 08/12/2011 at 22:56 »
Is anything broken?

I went outside to have a look at about 8:30 and struggled to get the door closed again!!

Ben

Sieger Devries

Re: Wind
« Reply #1 on: 08/12/2011 at 23:07 »
Read on the news site you guys were completely shut down, there in Alba..... Hope it doesn't come with a lot of damage....

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 09/12/2011 at 05:33 »
Been without power at home since 6pm yesterday, up early ( :!) this morning and have been at work since 04:30 as it's warm, has power, running water, internet access and did I mention it is warm :?
The run into work this morning was like a scene from a disaster movie, the roads (frozen by the way, really nice on top of the flooding from yesterday... oh yes....) are covered with bits of tree ranging from the size of a fist to the size of a lorry. Dustbins everywhere, couple of signs lying in the road, one dead dear and some poor sod near Bunchrew will find their car with half a tree buried in it.
Gusts in excess of 100mph have been recorded in Inverness which, when you consider how relatively sheltered it is from the W/SW winds, is pretty hectic :shock
However, things are much calmer this morning. I'd guess the wind is about 20mph and steady - for the moment.
Snow forecast for later today.
Joy.
H :z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 09/12/2011 at 07:47 »
Nothing near as bad as Hamish to report but it was an interesting run home from work last night.
It would seem that the a-holes that can't drive when it's raining also can't drive when it's a wee bit windy. There were people on the A90 last night doing 30 - 40 mph and having artic lorries passing them!  :shock
There was one woman that would only do 40 in the outside lane and any attempt to pass her had her swerving lanes to keep people behind her. It was like she wasn't having any naughty people pass her because she didn't think it was safe. Thankfully a bit of main beam tailgating from the chap in front of me (BMW) forced her back to where she belonged.
I got the hell off the A90 as soon as I could....

Being out with the dogs around 8 last night was entertaining too. Nice weather for flying a kite  :z4 :z4 :z4
Trees are down on campus this morning, with one in particular blocking Meston Walk. A mighty oak not looking too mighty any more.

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 09/12/2011 at 13:48 »
Home + power + heat + coffee= very nearly almost a happy Hamish  :grin

Joy of joys, it's now snowing like a bar steward  :roll
18 hrs without electricity is not fun  :z10 but a good effort by the SSE 'fixers'..... as long as the power stays on :z17

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 09/12/2011 at 14:12 »
very nearly almost a happy Hamish  :grin

So business as usual then  :z4

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2011 at 17:01 »
17 hours with no electricity for us so a bit chilly this morning. Spent most of the day driving around looking at how much wind damage there is and where to start clearing up. More of that to come tomorrow. :z6
At least we have power back on so we can have a decent meal tonight. :z16

Irvine

Eugenio Antonielli

« Reply #7 on: 10/12/2011 at 16:32 »
Oh boys!
I was shivering for you!!!
Cheers from the Surrey.....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com